Strata Poster
Mostly Wine's or Beers - Fave wines are
RED:
Chillean Cab sauv,
Malbec
Rioja
Cotes Du Rhone
Bordeaux
French wines have a lot of variety, but they can be bloomin awful!

White:
Sauv Blanc (Not too fussed on country if it's decent)
Chablis

Beers: I like "Lagers" (Budvar, Estrella, tuborg (I think it was tuborg original - only had it once but was lovely) and some German pilsners), Some bitters/real ales (very hit and miss - some are just vile) and the occasional wheatbeer (has to be a german one, Belgian stuff is a bit overflavoured). Hate flavoured beers though, an find Belgian stuff too sweet. Not a fan of stout and porter either!

Other than that - I like the odd GnT (ain't fussy on gin or tonic choice) and poncy fruit cocktails, but hate most spirits neat, and cream liquors are almost always vile!

Can't go wrong with the American light beers - Bud, Coors, Miller etc...
I actually don't mind bud, but Coors and Miller can do one!

Lager, so I've voted beer which although is a completely different thing it's the closest I can get.
I've always understood beer to include "Lager, bitter, mild, stout etc.."

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've really been getting back on the Bourbon train. Elijah Craig and Town Branch being current favorites.

Outside of that, wine and beer are equal favorites. Wines I do prefer a good cab sav, syrah, or malbec. For beer, I like staying in the IPA realm (though love beers of all kinds), especially double IPAs which are in season now for a lot of breweries. Ohio has a lot of great brewing going on at present - a solid 80-100 nano to micro breweries statewide. Favorite breweries are Rhinegeist (Cincinnati, OH), Platform (Cleveland, OH), Lineage (Columbus, OH), Zaftig (Columbus, OH) and Brew Kettle (Strongsville, OH, and folks brewing the Cedar Point beer line).

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Beer, ofcourse. I really enjoy to drink one on the occasion.

I do like the regular ales (I'm sorry, I live in Belgium, so no foreign beers in my list!) such as Jupiler, Stella Artois or even Cristal. Not a fan of Maes, which gives me a headache.

On a hot summer day, I like to drink Hoegaarden or Vedett. In winter, I like to drink Palm which Always reminds me of Christmas.
If I'm in the mood, I like to have a Duvel!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm very much a Vodka mixer man. Usually combined with Red Bull if I'm looking to ride the caffeine high, or Coke if I'm either drinking for several hours with friends or I need to sleep some time within the next year. I've been known to drink the odd Coke/JD or white wine on a couple of occasions, but that's about as much as I diverge from my usual choices. I've never got along with the bitterness of beer or lager.

Error

Strata Poster
Never liked beer, barely had wine so I can't make a proper opinion. Usually, I have some sort of shot or mixed drink, but even then that's rare.
Apparently, I'm a flirty drunk, though.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I voted "other", as I don't really drink alcohol. Then again, I don't do nights of drinking either, so... uh, perhaps I just shouldn't have voted at all.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I run a beer shop for a living which stocks about 700 craft beers, so there was only one way I was going to vote! Having said that, I'm very partial to a good wine (oaky reds in particular) and good single malts too.
That's interesting, I got back into my beer in the past few months and had a really tasty Mango Lassi Gose made by Omnipollo in Sweden, good Goses are really hard to find imo. I also have had a hankering for Smoked Porters and found a Pork Scratching Smoked Stout from Abbeydale Brewery, sounds awful but very tasty.
@ATTACKHAMMER is a proper ale drinker, I bet he's tried all 700 you stock :p

davidm

Strata Poster
^ theres a good gooseberry gose "Salty Kiss" from Magic Rock (Huddersfield) that you can get in M&S these days - bargain!
Chorlton Brewing (Manchester) are sour-beer crazy (I love the stuff), so anything from them is recommended also (but less common).
@EndlessWire - come on, stick an advert for your shoppe in the ad section :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If I'm just having a relax and a nice time, anything under 5%

If I want to get drunk, start on a couple of under 5% and then start on anything 7% and up. Always pints of whatever it is - so I do tend to avoid spirits, unless they're in a brown paper bag and I've got a good fire going in the barrel ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^ theres a (new?) little craft brewery in Stafford I believe (according to someone on my facebook)?
Edit : "Slater's" - http://slatersales.co.uk/ - so not that "new" then - perhaps the bar is new?

Yeah, the brewery is next door to the office I used to work in. Had to spend all day next to a brewery,not good.

They've recently taken over one of the charity shops (Stafford is so poor in the high street now,even the charity shops can't survive) and converted it into a micro-pub. It's nice stuff, but The Sun is owned by Titanic now and they have the beer AND a great little pub.

Actually, Stafford is really good for real ales. There's a second micro-pub by the old Cinema and the old "Chains" (Joxers/whatever) is still getting awards for beer and whiskey keeping. Also the old gun shop is now a gin palace.

Basically, the only thing to do in Stafford is to drink until you forget that you're living in Stafford, but we do it with decent beers and spirits.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^ theres a good gooseberry gose "Salty Kiss" from Magic Rock (Huddersfield) that you can get in M&S these days - bargain!
Chorlton Brewing (Manchester) are sour-beer crazy (I love the stuff), so anything from them is recommended also (but less common).
@EndlessWire - come on, stick an advert for your shoppe in the ad section :)
That's tonight's beer of choice sorted then, thanks Dave!

davidm

Strata Poster
The Sun is owned by Titanic now
Yeah I really liked the Sun, until it turned into an O'Neils (or something like that), then closed down, then reopened as the Sun again. Didn't realise Titanic were behind it tho' (they used to have another pub near the railway station I used to frequent a bit, but it got knocked down). Been a few decades since I've been drinking in Stafford.