What's new

Dreamland Plans being revealed.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Even though the Scenic Railway is listed, are they allowed to turn it into a fully automate attraction? If it is, would the lack of brakeman ruin part of the rides charm?

Aaron

Hyper Poster
WOW!

Those pictures look incredible - this will be fantastic! (it's not a hoax is it???)

Any idea on timescales?

marc

CF Legend
Looks good :) but I wish they would rebuild the Scenic Railway station as it was and not change it.

My main concern with this park is the rides, you would go once but would you go again thats the question.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
Even though the Scenic Railway is listed, are they allowed to turn it into a fully automate attraction? If it is, would the lack of brakeman ruin part of the rides charm?

nick Laister has said something along the lines of "we hope to retain the Scenic with brakeman". Read into that what you will...

southend_marc said:
Looks good :) but I wish they would rebuild the Scenic Railway station as it was and not change it.

The old station wasn't very original anyway. It was pretty new. This design is meant to mring things back to the way they used to be done.

A better case is the River Caves. They're planning on a grand entrance like the old Coney Island ride, with a huge, monstrous facade! It's a grandious design in fitting with what the top Edwardian parks did when they were at their height. It may not be the understated thing we ended up with in our memories, but our grandparents and great grandparents would recognise this as a real seaside park!

southend_marc said:
My main concern with this park is the rides, you would go once but would you go again thats the question.

Point taken... Thing is, until Southport introduced the charge, we used to visit three or four times a year. We loved it because it was just quaint and slightly gentile. There was just a character about it that was great to go back to as a family.

I think this will capture (well, I hope) that atmosphere of a magical, fun place. Only time will tell really... However, I do doubt that it will drag thrill seekers from around the country more than once or twice. The idea though is to capture (and re-introduce) passing seaside trade in Margate.

Timescales
There's a grant being bid for which will be decided on (something to do with coastal heritage) in June or July.

There's also the Princes Trust decision due in September. Until both of those have been got, there's no definite start date. If they come up, work will begin next year and is due to be completed by 2012.

If they don't secure the funding, then it's back on the treadmill hunting for more - but that doesn't mean it won't happen at all...

A

Anonymous

I'm really glad its happening and that someone has had the balls to do it - credit to Nick and his team. I will certainly be visiting it if only to scratch a massive itch and go on King Solomon's Mine (Wild Mouse) I adore these types of rides and I never got to ride it as I missed it at Frontierland and it wasn't at Pleasureland when I went in the 90's. I think the park plans look great and will whole heartedly support it.

For those of you wanting to go on a Virginia Reel, the Tyrolean Tub Twist at Joyland in Gt Yarmouth is still operating and is considered to be one of the only remaining rides of it's type in the world - it is small but again this a park I feel people should support in these difficult times - And this little park combnined with the larger pleasure beach makes for a decent if a little tacky day out!

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I'm quite impressed by the whole concept and believe that it'll work well. This will be a must vist for me. Looking forward to it.

peep

CF Legend
I'm really happy with those plans, shame it's smaller than what they imagined a couple years back but I think this is a bit more realistic. I think what they are doing to the interior of the cinema building is fantastic and is probably the best thing to come out of this announcement. Lets just hope they get those grants.

spicy

Giga Poster
Im so pleased that this is happening and I really hope they get the funds. Its nice to have some good news about historic rides and attractions for once and I can see this working.

The plans look brilliant aswell.

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Really glad about this news. I remember when I went to Dreamland when I was about 9 and it was always a great day out. Would be nice to ride the scenic railway again too :)

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Thats brilliant. I'm pleased Dreamland is getting some attention!! Those plans do look very nice.

Martyn B

CF Legend
That does look very promising indeed.

Water Chute, where are they getting that from, or will it be 'new'?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
That does look very promising indeed.

Water Chute, where are they getting that from, or will it be 'new'?

They have the boats and the "guts" of the ride from Rhyl.

They have the original plans of the Rhyl ride, so they're "reconstructing it" :)

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
This really does look sweet.

Hopefully they will stick pretty much to those plans,I'm sure I'd go there more than once.It will certainly make a pleasant change to go to a park like this.

Ollie

CF Legend
Wow this looks great. I'm certainly going to try and visit. I like the artwork as well, looks promising. :)