What's new

Dreamland Margate News

I emailed Dreamland about getting a return ticket due to the washout in July.

They responded letting me know to bring the original ticket and a copy of their email and I can visit anytime up until 1st Nov. So if you haven't already used the free return they offered us, then email them asking the same.

Dubaidave said:
Result. Do you think they will pay for my flight too?

No Dave, I don't think they will. I suggest hanging around Yas Island instead waiting for testing to begin, much more exciting.

Hm. Obviously the rumour that people in the UK think wooden coasters are unsafe is partly true. Bit ironic considering the part is about restoring classic rides to their former glories. Hope the seatbelts don't ruin the ride experience.

I'll be Tweeting/Periscoping from Dreamland tomorrow (Friday 16), and I'll be commenting on the ride experience. Same username for both: @CoastinBear.

I notice 2 things;

1) I notice there are trims. Haven't been on it(obviously), so idk if that's a good or bad thing.

2) BBC is not the best when it comes to facts(sure it's old, but not one of the oldest, and I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near a mile in length).

GuyWithAStick said:
2) BBC is not the best when it comes to facts(sure it's old, but not one of the oldest,
I think the BBC are quite competent when it comes to factual information, especially compared to other UK news sources (*cough* Daily mail)
The scenic opened in 1920, so it must definitely be up there with the oldest operating coasters.

It's great that dreamland has been getting so much positive media attention, I really hope the park does well in the long run :).

I'm a bit dubious about calling it old anyway, bits of it are but really after most of it burnt down it's like saying Cher is old. The couple of bits that are left are old, but it's almost entirely been replaced.

Yes but I'd argue there's a difference between gradually replacing bits at a time and starting afresh all at once.

When the majority of the coaster is gone for nearly a decade I think it's a bit different personally.

Having rode it yesterday, I can report that the seats are ok to sit on but the cages do spoil the view. I couldn't feel them on my head (but they would bang in an emergency stop) and they did make it feel a little too enclosed.

The ride experience was ok. It's like taking your Nan shopping. It's a slow, uneventful experience but it deserves respect for it's significance and what it's gone through in life.

There are a couple of "that was fun!" smiles to be had but don't expect anything dramatic. Respect it for what it is, not for the thrills.

I do have concerns about operations. It seemed to take forever for the ride host to assign a seat (yes, assigned seats), check the belts, check the bar and dispatch it.

I'm chuffed to see it up and running again. Long live the Scenic.

The entire wooden structure of the Scenic is new, so it does seem a bit cheeky to still call it the oldest...

I decided to go down this afternoon. Very quiet so literally walked on the scenic. The trains are ghastly, it's quite hilarious how bad they are. There is absolutely no need for the car style seat belts but I can slightly understand the need for the cages, as there are many points where you could grab the structure.
The ride itself is uneventful, next to no airtime but it's so damn slow... It crawls around the corners.
I appreciate the history and it was nice to ride it but it's not exciting in the slightest.

Fortunately I ran into Lofty who was loitering near some smoke machines and he kindly gave me a tour of three of the haunts Atmosfear have created.
They are utterly incredible, with some scenes which left me speechless, and that's without any actors. Some of the techniques used I've never seen before. They had me smiling all the way back to aylesbury.

I'm totally gutted that I can't get down there to experience an evening as they will be some of the best haunts people will experience this year.

I'll be making sure I set some time aside to do them next year and also visit scare kingdom as I want to see more of this excellent work.