What's new

Drayton Manor: Shockwave's last season

A

Anonymous

I'm with Dave on this one, they really need to add something for 2010 to have any chance of competing with Alton's new ride, and a Mega Lite would work very well for that park.

spicy

Giga Poster
I think a Mega-lite would work well for any park, wouldn't there be a few height issues for Drayton though?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Drayton Manor Park Official Statement said:
Hi Phil,

No Shockwave is not going anywhere, the ride has had a major overall this winter, this could be the confusion.

I think that puts it to bed?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, it does. Until next season :roll:

Cheers, furie.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I have to say on this, I'd really miss Shockwave. I love something about it. It's short, a bit rough around the edges and limited - but it has a real charm about it I like. I think if you come of a ride like that feeling cheated, then it's done what it did do very well. Maybe it's better to end on a high than to fade to nothing (look at the end of Kumali)?

I dunno what it is anyway, but I always enjoy riding Shockwave.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
I also like Shockwave. I think some people are just too quick to criticise a ride when it isn't exactly glass smooth or perhaps as thrilling as others. It's quite laughable when people use these as reasons why it should be removed.

It gives Drayton something unique. I'd much rather be riding Shockwave than yet another launched coaster clone. Parks should be different in their ride offerings, otherwise you'd soon find yourself riding the same rides but in different surroundings.

I like the Mega-Lite suggestion though, Drayton Manor could do with a solid normal sit-down coaster without any gimmicks. With focus put solely on the layout, they could have themselves a cracking ride that isn't similar to anything else in the country.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Just a bit of evidence it ran on two last year;

IMG_6853.jpg

From June 2008.

A

Anonymous

As I have never been to the park I don't know what its like but I am hoping to go soon. But as for what I have read and seen it looks like its a good ride just unloved by some people.

Dave

CF Legend
southend_marc said:
Wish they had done that at the live.

Which begs the question how busy do they have to be to get the 2nd train out? As it was rammed the day we went.

Ben

CF Legend
The only time I've ever seen them run two was the day I went when the park reached capacity with school trips.

It was hideous. They had metal extension queues all around the park. Ironically, that day I waited about 45 minutes for it, and when I went on a reasonably quiet day last year, I waited 70 :roll:

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
The only time I've ever seen them run two was the day I went when the park reached capacity with school trips.

It was hideous. They had metal extension queues all around the park. Ironically, that day I waited about 45 minutes for it, and when I went on a reasonably quiet day last year, I waited 70 :roll:

I know exactly what you mean Ben.

First time I went Drayton in 2003 it was similar to what you've said.

It was a nice suprise last year to see it on two trains when it got busy.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Dave said:
southend_marc said:
Wish they had done that at the live.

Which begs the question how busy do they have to be to get the 2nd train out? As it was rammed the day we went.

It's to do with staffing...
It is a legal requirement to have so many staff operating with 2 trains or more, if they haven't got them in, they can't put a second train on no matter how busy they are.

luke8

Mega Poster
Shockwave is a decent ride. Not great, but does what its meant to do well.

Oh, it ran two trains last year, Marc. :)

Inverse

Hyper Poster
i don't think it'll close this year. It's too important for the park's marketing and when i went on it last year it rode just fine.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
I think that Shockwave is here to stay for a few more years at the least. It's still the flagship ride in the park to the GP, but the park really needs to get new trains for it. The ones at the moment are terrible. Before the loop there is a lot of headbanging (unless you are in the front row) and that 1st Corkscrew is just awful on the male parts. Also they need to completely refurbish the station building if they are planning on keeping it, I can't believe that the management think that that is an acceptable place for their guests to spend 30 mins+ queueing. In hot weather the heat becomes unbearable in there, they could at least install some air conditioning ffs. Also the building is so run down, the walls are covered in graffiti, the windows are covered in mould and there is litter everywhere. It's just a completely unpleasant place to queue.