What's new

Does Flamingo Land have enough flamingos to justify it being called Flamingo Land?

Does Flamingo Land have enough flamingos to justify it being called Flamingo Land?

• Total voters

Will

Strata Poster
This has amused me far too much.
Apparently, there are six major species of flamingo, of which you can only see two at FL. They may be a large flock, but I've been there a fair few times, and don't really remember anything about a flamingo enclosure, suggesting it's not as spectacular as it might be.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Haha. Well, if you'd really like to know...

It used to have the UK's largest flock. This is going back to when I worked there in the late '90s anyway. No idea now.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
You folks clearly don't know how marketing works. The name was not meant as advertisement for what they have; it's meant as an inducement to all flamingos to come. And spend, of course.

mouse

Giga Poster
And that's why they're not that successful, flamingos just aren't a big enough target demographic for a park in the UK.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looking at their map, they have three flamingoes, which is more than enough to maintain a truthful name. However, the animal they appear to have the most of is Oryx, five of the horny beasts. http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/park-map.htm

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
And that's why they're not that successful, flamingos just aren't a big enough target demographic for a park in the UK.
And it's a well-known fact that flamingos don't have much disposable income.

Now Oryx Land on the other hand ...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It surprises me that flamingos don't have much disposable income. You'd think that being pink and standing on one leg would be skills they could profit from.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It surprises me that flamingos don't have much disposable income. You'd think that being pink and standing on one leg would be skills they could profit from.
The problem is that they're being pushed out by immigrants. They're cheaper, have fewer overheads, work longer hours and come by the boat-load from Asia. Times are tough for the pro-Brexit Flamingo.

flockbig_150.png