What's new

Dodonpa Being Reborn In 2017

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ It would make sense to get it open by Golden Week, which means Fuji-Q won't do it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm strangely excited by this. I think Dodonpa looks insane enough as it is, and I love the idea that they're going to modify the layout (hopefully significantly).

Bonkers. And fab. <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
As long as they keep the ludicrous airtime hill/spike. Replacing that with a loop would be the wrong thing to do.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah the top hat where you get punched in the gut by the forces is one of the best bits!

I really hope given the long closure time they aren't ripping out loads of it - you could do quite a lot of work in that time.

Oh well got the cred just about by like a month did I mention that.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I don't see why they couldn't put a loop between the launch and the top hat. It would obviously have to be massive given the speed, but a "world's biggest loop" would totally be something they'd go for. Otherwise, the speed would have to be trimmed off, which would ruin the top hat.

Jake

Strata Poster
They could definitely still keep the fabulous top hat and have something else before it. It must lose some serious speed on the ridiculous turnaround of bumpyness, could make that less drawn out and include a direction changing inversion.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is it the top hat that's missing?
Yeah. You can see in this picture below (taken from the other side) that the top hat used to be right next to the ferris wheel:
aaaggia

I wonder if that means it's gone for good? And if so, what will replace it...?

EthC

Mega Poster
Looking at that I hope they replace it with another airtime hill, assuming they maybe retracking it too. I can really see a loop being where the airtime hill used to be which is a shame if that is the case because it looked insane, Oh well fingers crossed they just put a new airtime hill in, but i have a bad feeling it will be a loop :(

Ben

CF Legend
RIP one of the most insane elements ever built.

You'll be missed for your stupidly strong negative Gs which launched you into the restraint and made you feel like you'd been punched.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's a shame if it has gone. Despite being 170 feet tall, and having that massive turn around to kill some speed, it was still way too short given how fast the trains were still going.

Dodonpa managed to have two of the most insane coaster elements anywhere packed into one ride.

I'm interested to see what will replace it (I'm guessing world's tallest loop still), but I can't imagine it being an improvement.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
You know the airtime hill must've been insane when the thought of the tallest loop being installed seems disappointing :p realistically they have a stupid amount of speed to play with and it'll certainly be interesting to see what they dream up, although I'm half expecting them to do a ring racer and turn it into straight line; the ride!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
A truly heartbreaking picture. I absolutely loved Dodonpa and that airtime hill of joy. It will be interesting to see what replaces it!