What's new

Do you thank the ride-op?

furie said:
I'm English, I thank everybody or apologise to them, or both all of the time.

Ditto!

I like to take a blanket approach with politeness and thank everyone I can - the person who tells you which row to sit in, the op, the loose articles staff, the photo booth person who puts your photo on the close-up screen even though you know you're not going to buy it...

furie said:
Ben said:
Not unless they do something specially good.

I don't get thanked just for doing my job, why should they? That's what they get paid for.

I'll bet that you do though. When you leave a client, they'll shake your hand and say "thank you".

I certainly do with anyone coming to see me at work.

Okay, I don't get it for completing a backup or normal part of my job, but for anything I do which is out of the ordinary I do. I think you need to work in a nicer place of when handing in a report to you manager, they don't say "thanks" just as a courtesy.

Yeah, anything out of the ordinary I do, but I would equate checking restraints to me taking a phone call. It's a primary part of the job, not an extra.

If I pass a ride op whilst getting off/leaving a ride, I'll always give them a "Cheers" or a "Thank you", just like how I thank a bus driver when getting off a bus, or thanking the air stewards when getting off a plane.

Saying thanks in this context is less a thank you and more a parting goodbye.

Yes I do - I think calling staff by name is weird though, unless necessary to get their attention. It feels less polite and more awkwardly pressured to be on the receiving end, as if "hello, x, here's my problem. You better help me or I'm going to make a complaint specifically about you."

Ben said:
Not unless they do something specially good.

I don't get thanked just for doing my job, why should they? That's what they get paid for.

I have this attitude to leaving my trays on tables in McDonalds. If everyone took the trays away and tidied up after themselves you'd be putting someone out of a job.

Joey said:
Yes I do - I think calling staff by name is weird though

Totally agree, it's like they're trying to be a clever **** sounding smarmy that they know your name. I get it at work in the football club - 'So PETER, what do you think of todays game then...' firstly you don't actually know me by first name terms so **** off.

Often, yes. They work hard here at home park and safety is a big deal. And over the several times I've visited, they've granted concessions, one of the more important of which is allowing me to ride as a single-rider when there's no rule that says they have to do so.

Jordanovichy said:
If they're there I will pass a comment of thanks, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. Why do Americans clap the ride op/coaster/ride whenever it finishes its circuit? I can't help but think it's slightly odd...

This is a rare occasion. I usually only do it when the ride is really, REALLY, good. Same with most people. I rarely see people clap.

CanobieFanatic said:
Jordanovichy said:
If they're there I will pass a comment of thanks, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. Why do Americans clap the ride op/coaster/ride whenever it finishes its circuit? I can't help but think it's slightly odd...

This is a rare occasion. I usually only do it when the ride is really, REALLY, good. Same with most people. I rarely see people clap.
I clap when a ride is really good, but I'm the only one who does that I know.

Clap worthy rides:
Raging Bull and above (though it depends, only Outlaw and Goliath got 100% clappage from me)

Not clap worthy:
X-Flight and below

BBH said:
I clap when a ride is really good, but I'm the only one who does that I know.

You're definitely not the only person to clap a ride. In Britain it's not done, I can't even remember an incident where someone has clapped. However, In America, EVERYONE claps a good ride. When me and Ian were at the Goliath media event at SFGAm we found ourselves applauding the ride just so we weren't the odd ones out. It was a coaster worth applauding mind...

^I meant that I know personally. It's mostly an enthusiast thing here, but I don't have any enthusiast friends IRL.

I always thank the staff once the restraint has been checked whichever park I am at, I started doing it after working at Towers because it was good to know people appreciated what you were doing rather than assuming you're a robot in uniform.

A lot of staff are trained to staple because they are told "push down, pull up". Clearly the pushing down part depends on whether the guest has already done so and how far they have.

I always preferred it when guests wouldn't pull down their bar at all, leaving it completely to me, so I could lower it, hear/feel it clicking and then pull back in a swoop.

Its really common to push a bar down and find it won't go, but you can see the guest isn't that... Well, big. Sometimes a bag is in the way, sometimes a jumper tied round a waist, but often the guest is just a weird shape. So if you find a staff member pushing your bar unnecessarily far down, it is likely because it doesn't feel right to them. They do this hundreds of times a day, remember. So just vocalise with them "not too tight please" and see what they say.

I push forward against some bars to stop staff pushing them down too low - I lie awkwardly in between too tight and too loose on a b&m ostr, so staff want to push it lower, but I would rather they did not as it is uncomfortable. I just push my shoulders into it. DON'T do this on any ride where the bars are pneumatic, like on many flats, as you may prevent it locking properly if you're medium-large in size. I can't tell you how many times I found bars would not lock and shouted out "please do not push against the bars otherwise they will not lock" to find they then magically click shut.

Most of the time its all misunderstanding between guests and staff that could be avoided if both parties communicated better.