What's new

Do you enjoy greying out?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Until my trip to America this summer I'd only experienced greying out less than a handful of times, and I can definitely say that it is not an experience I enjoy. It makes me feel light headed and sick, not to mention the blindness it leaves me with for a few seconds is really unenjoyable too!

My ride on Nitro this summer was much much better than in 2010, mostly because I didn't grey out this time! I hated I305 because I greyed out at the bottom of the drop every time, and the helixes on Goliath (SFMM) and Superman (SFA) were disgusting too!

But loads of people on the USA Live came off of the same rides raving about how much fun they'd had greying out, and how much they enjoyed it, which is a bizarre concept to me!

So yh, what do you think?

andrus

Giga Poster
Tbh I don't think I would like the feeling of "greying out". But neither Superman nor Nitro was even close to make me gray out. I305 on the other hand is probably as powerful as a coaster can go without being unpleasantly intense for me. At the end of the turn into the first airtime hill on I305 I got slight tunnelvision. But as soon as that happend you got ejected out of your seat with some strong negatives to compensate for the high positives you just experienced. I wouldn't say I greyed out, but was very close to! As I said before: on the boarderline to being too forceful. But imho it was just a kick ass ride that I really enjoyed! <3

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I find it really annoying tbh. You can't see a thing... Only got it on MF 1 overbank every few rides, Goliath helix, Both Nemesis's though. Or if I haven't drunk enough, then it happens more oftern.

Goliath was the most extreme of the 4 though. It just went on, and on...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The only ride I can remember greying out on was Magic Mountain at Gardaland. In the back row the second loop (still under the effects of the first loop) made me grey out. It was only for a very short time and quite honestly I didn't really pay much attention to it.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I didn't love it either. It's a pretty unpleasant feeling...

No, it's gross, haha. I don't like coasters that make me feel like I'm gonna faint and stuff, and I prefer if a coaster only has mild positive G's, otherwise it's just too much.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I love it. Granted I love an extremely intense coaster, which may be why the Batman clones are some of my favorites. I have grayed out on Batman (helix back row), Goliath several times, Viper (SFMM) after the third loop when trims after first loop didn't bite as hard (this was about ten years ago), and Tatsu pretzel after my fifth ride in a row.

So yeah, if that feeling doesn't exist, then the coaster loses something to an extent.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't know, it's never once happened to me, not even close in fact.

Man for a site of enthusiasts some people are a bit on the weak side :p
I KID! I KID!

So yeah I don't know..I want to say I wouldn't enjoy it, because that just doesn't sound fun...but I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to coasters. I love very intense coasters. Still sounds awful though.

My friend would borderline black out on Nitro. In the helix he'd go kinda limp and fall like a rag doll, for a split second than shoot back up. I thought he was kidding but it's sincere, and he loved it. He would start laughing and had a huge smile.
But that guy is a bit on the truly insane side anyway :lol:

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I'd never greyed out that much in the past but visiting the states this year it happenned regularly, I presume dehydration and lack of sleep had a lot to do with it.

I greyed out in I305 all 15 times (I think I just kept riding to see if I could overcome it) Nitro's helix a couple of times, Superman UF's pretzel loop, then most suprisingly the first helix on Verbolten!

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I hate it. I've greyed out on Nemesis, Colossus and Inferno (only this season in the back row) so far, Colossus is very common though as the train exits the loop into the sharp airtime hill.

I'd compare it to getting drunk, I like doing it but it gets ruined if vomiting happens...which with coasters the 'vomiting' is replaced by greying out. Not pleasant at all.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm not a fan of it. I think it's down to the fact that when I was younger I used to have weird fainting episodes. I've mostly grown out of that (though last time was on a crowded subway train in Tokyo - mortified!), but greying out reminds me of that.

Anyone who's fainted will know how absolutely horrible it is, mostly the whole confusing, coming round aspect. Greying out on a coaster just reminds me of the feeling I get if I'm about to faint, and while it's never as intense as that, and I know I'm not going to actually pass out, it's still not a pleasant feeling.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I've never greyed out on a coaster or any ride for that matter but it's always interesting to read about the people it does happen to - mainly as I learn something new.

The only peculiar experiences I've had is coming off a ride like a waltzer feeling dizzy due to the spinning cars.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Yes.

Going on roller coasters and rides for me is all about pushing yourself to the limit and this is near it. I find it quite suprising that some people don't like it.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I'm honestly indifferent. I've only had it happen on 2 rides both when I was very dehydrated had not eaten and in extreme heat. It didn't really make much difference to me.

Indifference. eh!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
bezzzzzer said:
Yes.

Going on roller coasters and rides for me is all about pushing yourself to the limit and this is near it. I find it quite suprising that some people don't like it.

I do get why...but I'm kind of on board with you.
All about the masochism :p
I almost want to know what its like but damn it, nothing has made me grey out!
Hydration is a good point, I could see people maybe neglecting that a bit at a park.

I need to stay hydrated often as possible already so I drink water like an animal at parks.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Never dealt with it before, and Ive hit heavy g rides without food or water in my system on decently hot enough days.

I want to experience it at least once though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Same.

I'm buying tickets for the TPR trip to KD and if any ride is gunna get me to grey out it'll be that monster.