What's new

Dive machine holding break - how does it work?

Mike T

Mega Poster
SnooSnoo said:
^My same thoughts. Over all this time, wouldn't ya think to brace it maybe a little?

Overbracing is what killed the fun ride that was Mean Streak - so what do you think would happen if you decided to add a few more beams to Rattler? lol. Flex is a good thing; its good for SheiKra, good for Rattle **** , and ummm....its good for Marcus too :p

Snoo

The Legend
Overbracing? No.. NORMAL bracing. That is severely underbraced. For a wooden coaster to move THAT much is borderline retarded to be honest.

Yes, flex is a good thing.. but what Rattler does is a very bad thing.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Mike. Steel flexing is totally different to wood flexing. On Steel coasters the fibers in the steel are what bend, not the joints. This is infact good for the ride. On The Rattler, the actual joints are taking the strain of the flexing, which is bad for the ride.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Naw, you just need to figure out what the hell you're talking about next time, before you decide to make assumptions about things you're clearly wrong about.

Mike. Steel flexing is totally different to wood flexing. On Steel coasters the fibers in the steel are what bend, not the joints. This is infact good for the ride. On The Rattler, the actual joints are taking the strain of the flexing, which is bad for the ride.

The structure of the ride bends based on the impulse being placed upon it. We call this a change in momentum because the force of the train coming around the bend is subsequently causing a reaction to said structure. The structure was designed with this in mind, with the wooden beams absorbing the force (which is why eat beam is pressure treated in a vat), which is why most wooden structures include cross bracing and lateral braces on top of those. If the joins between each section of wood were absorbing the force, you'd have a poorly designed ride. If the structure is too rigid, the entire thing will eventually crack from the excess strain.

This is why I made the Mean Streak comment - a ride that had bracing added to its structure after it opened. If you want to know why there's a giant trim brake running down the first drop - this is your answer. You might as why I know this - well I'm relaying information given to me by one of the maintenance directors at the park. So in correlation to Rattler, I'm saying that the already rough ride that it produces would only get worse if more bracing were added. But you start to wonder why year after year after year they leave it be - so you refer to the first paragraph and understand that although it seems dramatic, its obviously necessary for the kind of ride that it is.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Oh shuts ip i knob chees, you dnt no wot ur on about!

u have no ides abot physivs so you souldnt talk about it like that! you dont pay atention to deatail therfore uou are rong!!!!!!

LISTEN BOY!!!!!!!

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Edit -

With the whole Wood bending thing, Tbh I've never noticed it.. But when it comes to Steel.. After studying manufacturing engineering for 3 years, I'm glad it bends.. If not it would simply snap under stress.

Best example I can think of is Depth Charge, standing up the top you can feel it swaying in the wind.

Sam

Giga Poster
What happends is, loads of pixies all together hold the cart as it goes over the edge, then at the same time, they all let go and awwwaaaay we goooooo!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Erol, there's no need to be so bloody rude.

Dj-Fireball XL5, do you wish to quantify your statement?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
It wasn't meant to be rude, but anyway, does it sound less rude if I said it like this?

"So's your face. :p"

Please, I'd love to hear what you have to say dj-firball99

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Haha, that made me lol :--D

Its just the fact that it doesn't always work these days... Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, as demonstrated in this here youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WyNGJlAb0

I have no problem with the ride, truly fantastic, but its just a bit disappointing when you can tell that it doesn't hold properly when you're on it, (still scares the hell out of me though!)

:--D