What's new

Discussions between 49ers, City, and Cedar Fair heat up

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
The San Francisco 49ers' campaign to get a new stadium built in Santa Clara had started off so smoothly, but the Great America theme park is quickly turning these proceedings into a wild ride.

Santa Clara City Council has been set to begin discussion at tonight's public meeting on terms of the agreement between the city and the 49ers. Inital response had been positive, with the 49ers agreeing to take on a larger-than-expected cut of the tab and all cost overruns.

But a surprise report out of the San Jose Mercury News says that the Great America theme park, on whose current parking lot the stadium would be built, has submitted a last-minute request for Council to delay voting on the plan -- or even reject it altogether.

Cedar Fair, an entertainment company which owns the amusement park, argues that this deal would inhibit their parking capacity and revenue flow unfairly, particularly on game days.

"Cedar Fair wishes to support the city in its efforts to reach a deal with the San Francisco 49ers," Cedar Fair attorney John Hoge wrote in a letter to Council, "And believes that this important community goal can be realized without violating the legal and equitable rights of Cedar Fair and without rushing the term sheet through council vote without adequate time for review and comment by Cedar Fair and all interested parties."

Sources have told the Merc that internal discussions between the 49ers and Cedar Fair have the 49ers offering to pay the amusement park firm roughly $1 million annually to close on 49er game days.

Santa Clara City Council, who seem terrifically motivated to get this deal done, are unlikely to delay or dismiss the vote based on Great America's concerns. But this is the first sign of organized community opposition, and it's well-funded opposition with high-priced attorneys.

From here onward, this debate will no longer be a walk in the park.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/sports/footba ... -Move.html

We'll it's a better plan then selling the whole park to the 49ers.
Just wondering, how would this pan out financially for Cedar Fair.
During the 11 or so home games they have during the season how much would cedar fair be losing/ making?

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Update. (I know you guys are all jumping out of your seats to find out what's happening!)

It seems that the city of Santa Clara jumped the gun on some critical voting, and Cedar Fair wants to push the voting date back.
In a letter to Mayor Patricia Mahan delivered hours before the meeting, lawyers representing the park's owner, Cedar Fair, say the city should delay any vote for a month or reject the plan to build the stadium. The park's owners said the plan didn't address their concerns about parking and other potential financial losses.

The whole article and the legal document, found at the bottom of the page, can be found at: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12502860?nclick_check=1

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Um, Jacob, your topic title makes it seem like the team and CF have come to an agreement already. Maybe you could reword it better?

Snoo

The Legend
^Agreed. :p

As for the problem.. well.. the 49ers are building onto CGA property, so it is something they will have to pay luxury for, imo of course.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^Nope. CGA sits on city-owned property. The stadium would also be built on city-owned property.

This fight may have only just gotten started.

Ollie

CF Legend
I thought the CF stood for CoasterForce first of all when I saw the topic title and thought "Ooh, goody. Money" :p

Snoo

The Legend
^^Oo.. I didn't know it was city owned.

Well.. CF is well within its rights to bitch about this. And this fight started a long time ago RM, this bitchfest news is just the latest edition.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
And the thing is that "Cedar Fair must agree cooperate with any stadium proposal on there lease held property" according to "principle 7" as found in the legal document.

I thought the CF stood for CoasterForce first of all when I saw the topic title and thought "Ooh, goody. Money
Well I'm sorry Cedar Fair wouldn't fit in topic title.
Damn I do suck at topic titles. :p

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Now, it looks like some bike gang from some 49th street are paying us to override the park or something, just for the hell of it.

I bet many here would know where to stick a wrench for maximum damage to a lift hill engine.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^^^I'll take it as comprehensible as I can.

CF joke for dummies: a guide

Imagine one of those biker gangs. You know, Harleys, beer, questionable hygiene, generally being assholes in bars and traffic, those guys mums don't want their children to see.

Those gangs usually run by a name. "West city pitbulls", "Up north hounds", etc, often depending on their location.

Now imagine one of those gangs having their HQ at a shady bar along Route 49. Birds know where that one is, but anyway. Their nickname is thus, the 49er's.

Imagine that a gang member from the 49er's just got kicked out of CGA for paying a kid to climb a fence and retreive his hat. This guy is now very pissed at CGA.

He calls his gang to go vandalise the park, but they have no clue on how to do it. So they all gather around the old PC in their bar, searching the Internet for "destroy coastrs". For some reason, they find a site named CoasterForce. They have detailed descriptions of how to shut down a ride, that is, to make an accident happen on it, usually by wriggling out of the restraints while the ride is upside down.

The gang, apart from the guy who is banned from the park, go to CGA, trying to kill themselves on the rides. But too much beer and to little walking will make any poor biker to fat to even fit into the restraints, never mind getting out of them once in.

They go back to their PC, asking CF for help on how to shut down a park, if only for a day or two. Ian, being the responsible leader behind this site, strongly advises them from doing so, and IP blocks them.

The biker gang retreat to speculation, and a few bottles of beer later, someone says: "We'll pay them!"

After consulting their financial advisor, they agree to fork out the entire budget, apart from the beer section, to CoasterForce if they go vandalise the park a few days of the year. Preferably the days when lots of people gather for the football matches at the nearby stadium, so that travelling families are forced to see the most boring sport on Earth instead of riding coasters.

"But how can we pay them if we can't go on their site?", someone says.
They all look at each other. Another search on "rollin coastr" directs them to RCDB, where they contact the admin to put up a huge banner saying:
"HI CF WE CAN PAY BUCKS IF U MAKE CGA CLOSE AT GAME DAYZ"

What does Duane do? Will the 49er's pay CF to close CGA on game days? Will they? Follow the story in this topic.

Snoo

The Legend
I understood what you meant poke, I just found no point in posting it.

Of course, that is most of CF.. and probably half of my posts.