What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

T0M

Hyper Poster
These media reviews are fine, but it might take the general public, weeks, months or even years to get the varied experiences it reportedly offers with this throughput and queue management?

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Had an essay written about Chessington's airgate problem but actually there's a great opinion piece on youtube which is really factually accurate considering the speculation and voices some real concerns about the attraction.

some of mandrills throughputs have already been put out. As solid as it sounds as a ride experience, it's not even eating half the people it needs to be. I really hope there's some kind of silver lining to this operationally, or else I imagine a lot of good workers (both operationally and in guest services) are going to have a pretty terrible summer working on this thing.

JMW

Roller Poster
Do you have a link to the tweet? I'm intrigued as it's taken 19 years to get a new coaster, so would be good to know what they're thinking if we won't have to wait long for another!
Lots of cryptic tweets! They're clearly somewhat in the know, having 'speculated' about Shipwreck Coast and the waterpark project months in advance. Glad to see a vampire retrack is on the cards and there's consistent significant investment lined up.

... you wait ages for one, then two or three come along at once!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I rode it on saturday as part of the CF coverage, I had vaguely followed construction but hadn't really appreciated the level changes across the site. This lead to the coaster delivering a fair amount higher than my initial expectations. It has some really fun moments, the ride time isn't as short as i'd imagined, and you get some good speed throughout the layout. I did found it quite nauseating but thats probably just my low tolerance. I'd like to see a few more of these family launched wing coasters, i do think the concept is great and i think it'll be a massive hit with the target audience. Throughput is going to suck but we all knew that already.

World of Jumanji as a whole is really cool. The things that i like about it are probably the same things that some people won't like about it. I really like the way the coaster encapsulates the whole area, there's something about the aesthetics of that just does something for me. Timber falls (Wisconsin dells) always looked the same. I had a weird fascination with the park largely to do with its small footprint and encapsulation within the coaster. This does add to the immersion within the area which does have some really nice theming and general ambience. So yeah, everything is within the coaster with only one entrance / exit to the rest of the park. This does lead to the whole area feeling somewhat isolated, similar to Swarm island. Its just there as a bolt on, rather than a cohesive land within the park. Not helped by being off the path that runs adjacent to Dragons Fury, which always felt like it was outside of the park anyway.

All in all its a great addition and a really nice coaster for Chessington, the colour scheme, surprising forces, punchy launches and little pops of airtime make it super fun.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If anyone is interested, here's a small selection of my favourite photos:

gbwn807.jpg

5SpmLYB.jpg

A0F5e96.jpg

bxOPGqY.jpg

ZJBx9zY.jpg

SUIc9MK.jpg

abfQZAn.jpg

iyvy2y4.jpg

Bowser

Mega Poster
All the reports from today said the virtual queue worked well and people were allowed unlimited rides as the park was quiet.

Guess that's still not a reflection on how it will be for most people...

Also side note where is this thread located now it's no longer "construction"?

streetmagix

Mega Poster
All the reports from today said the virtual queue worked well and people were allowed unlimited rides as the park was quiet.

Guess that's still not a reflection on how it will be for most people...

Also side note where is this thread located now it's no longer "construction"?

That's correct, assuming the queue was 'open' (which it wasn't always) you could request a spot. It seemed like they allowed 2 hours worth of people into the virtual queue, or around that time. You could also 'jump' ahead if there was space too. I think the talk of 'only one ride a day' is something they've coded in for the super busy days and also (mainly) applies to RAP. I'd love to read more about their virtual queue, as it seems very different to the one that Disney uses.

The ride itself was running really well (unlike the 2 flat rides), with only a few moments of downtime. The ride is great, very fun and with some great forces.

Bowser

Mega Poster
That's correct, assuming the queue was 'open' (which it wasn't always) you could request a spot. It seemed like they allowed 2 hours worth of people into the virtual queue, or around that time. You could also 'jump' ahead if there was space too. I think the talk of 'only one ride a day' is something they've coded in for the super busy days and also (mainly) applies to RAP. I'd love to read more about their virtual queue, as it seems very different to the one that Disney uses.

The ride itself was running really well (unlike the 2 flat rides), with only a few moments of downtime. The ride is great, very fun and with some great forces.

Seems somewhat unethical to allow multiple rides in a virtual queue for everyone except RAP users?

Good to hear it's running well though!

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Fun, re-rideable and well themed. By far and away the best rollercoaster at Chessington. Pulls some very interesting forces to and the experience can vary depending on where you're sat.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Seems somewhat unethical to allow multiple rides in a virtual queue for everyone except RAP users?

Good to hear it's running well though!

The 'one ride per day' restriction would apply to everyone, Virtual Queue / Fast Pass / RAP. It wasn't in operation yesterday, although it was a pretty quiet on park.

Project_300

Roller Poster
From riding it a few times today it really does fit chessington. The audio I'm starting to think was meant to be on board due to it synchronising really well to the layout. Just a thought

kayleigh coston

Roller Poster
Rode this today with the group covering for CF. As we joked, it's the best inverting coaster at Chessie, the best B&M shuttle I've ever done, and the best green coaster in the UK.

In all seriousness - it's smooth, rides well in all seats (although I have personal preference for the left wing rear-facing seats), I personally quite like the colour, and the area is cute. The first two launches are decent too.

My criticism will seem longer, in comparison.
  • Throughput is horrific. Yes it was the media day, so bit more faffery, but the one train ops really make this suffer.
  • You can't pick your row (or at least, you couldn't today). Today they were letting people wait for a train or two to get thr row they wanted, but on a busy day it simply won't be practical to operate it like that.
  • The other rides in the area really suffered with technical issues all day and their ops were also chronically slow.
  • The launch near the spike is basically nonexistent.
  • The sideways spike is very odd. Not hugely good, to be honest.
  • The media event was all a bit strange. They staggered the entry for the various media groups, which makes sense when you see the chronic capacity, but it means that a lot of people missed the initial big reveal. Not the most sleek of events.

Overall my view is that it's a decent addition. I'm very glad to have gone today, as I think it'll be impossible to enjoy on any other day - at least not opening season. It's exciting to see B&M doing something non-full circuit, and I'm optimistic that they'll carry on doing more of this sort of experimentation. It's hard not to think that one of the full circuit baby wing coasters wouldn't have been a better fit.

I'll post some more pictures and thoughts another day. Happy to try and answer questions and things too.

Hixee
Who/what is is the name of the group covering for CF
I would like to join that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowser

Mega Poster
The 'one ride per day' restriction would apply to everyone, Virtual Queue / Fast Pass / RAP. It wasn't in operation yesterday, although it was a pretty quiet on park.

Oh, I got the impression the "one ride per day" restriction applied to RAP regardless whereas it only applied to Virtual Queue on busy days?

Peet

Giga Poster
I had my first ride today, luckily I got the front row, it's a fun ride for sure, not much more to add to everyone else's view.
The dispatches were between 4 and 5 mins apart so throughput is less than 400 per hour which is miserable, and the virtual queueing is a real faff. I still had a half hour wait in the physical queue although it was less when the Mrs had her go (and she really lucked out and got row 7!). Despite the faff, the virtual queueing does work really well for parents taking turns. We are able to re-join the virtual queue so the 1 ride per day is clearly not applying today.
Now it's time to ride all the kiddie rides over and over with the kids 😅.

Bowser

Mega Poster
I had my first ride today, luckily I got the front row, it's a fun ride for sure, not much more to add to everyone else's view.
The dispatches were between 4 and 5 mins apart so throughput is less than 400 per hour which is miserable, and the virtual queueing is a real faff. I still had a half hour wait in the physical queue although it was less when the Mrs had her go (and she really lucked out and got row 7!). Despite the faff, the virtual queueing does work really well for parents taking turns. We are able to re-join the virtual queue so the 1 ride per day is clearly not applying today.
Now it's time to ride all the kiddie rides over and over with the kids 😅.

How many visitors are there on a busy day, must be over 10,000? Peak opening hours are typically 10-6pm so you're looking at a maximum of 3200 if it's running non-stop. Obviously plenty of people won't want to ride but you're looking at 30% getting one go (plus any savvy multi-accounts), seems like potential for people to be unable to ride even when operating all day.

Matt N

CF Legend
It appears that the virtual queueing system for Mandrill Mayhem has hit its first obstacle… the Reserve and Ride website went down when people tried to book Mandrill Mayhem slots this morning due to the system allegedly being unable to cope with the demand:
This means that no one can book Mandrill Mayhem slots or use Fastrack or Ride Access Pass.

The app would suggest that they have opened Mandrill Mayhem’s queue in a standby capacity, however, as the ride is shown as open with a 20 minute queue. That’s pretty incredible for a new ride that only opened this week!

I don’t know that for certain, however. I’m only going off of what the app suggests when inferring that Mandrill Mayhem’s queue has opened in a standby capacity.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
I was able to ride Flying Monkey coaster today, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the coaster itself, the launches were good, the theming for the area is excellent.EF752451-C5B5-4DCF-8500-4317167661F3.jpeg
The real negative for me is that the virtual queue is an absolute nightmare on a peak day. I really hope this is something the park does actually work on to improve.

Overall a solid addition to the park and nice to see some fresh coaster track in the park after a 19 year drought, let’s hope it isn’t 19 years till the next one 😂😂