What's new

Culture, Heide Park and Hansa Park

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Saw some cheap-ish flights a few weeks ago, so decided to have a long weekend in Hamburg and at Heide and Hansa. Here's a brief summary.

Day 1 - Hamburg

Started with a disgustingly early morning in Bristol (2am), and headed to Heathrow for my flight. All quite painless and uninteresting to be honest.

I got into the centre of Hamburg by about 10:30am, but I couldn't get into my hostel room until later in the day so I dropped my bags off and went for a walk. The weather was cold, damp and foggy, but that didn't bother me too much. Hamburg itself is quite nice, lots of churches and nice little streets and all that sort of stuff.

The rather elaborate Rathaus:
DSC_0038_zpsk5gnsay3.jpg

Around 2pm I figured I'd tag onto one of those "Free Walking Tours", which mean I ended up retracing my steps a little, but it was good to hear a bit more about the history and stuff. The guy was enthusiastic and interesting, so couldn't complain!

The picturesque warehouse district:
DSC_0100_zpsnxl7mxp8.jpg

DSC_0144C_zpstzxwvfav.jpg

Bonus selfie:
DSC_0144_zpszephnq6t.jpg

By the time it got to the evening, I figured I'd been awake for far too long on far too little sleep and so I had a nice big steak, a few beers, watched a bit of the rugby and then crashed out in the hostel.

Day 2 - Hamburg

Today was time for Miniatur Wunderland! I've been wanting to visit this for years, and it didn't disappoint. I'd arranged an English speaking behind the scenes tour, but I was able to go into the exhibition space an hour or so before that to have a little explore.

The Alps:
DSC_0150_zpsfsumore6.jpg

Roadworks:
DSC_0162_zpskdipjbkx.jpg

"America":
DSC_0300_zpsl4mw2mje.jpg

I met the tour guide and the three other visitors for the tour. It was fantastic! The guide took us behind all of the various areas and explained the history of the centre, how the controls worked for all of the autonomous vehicles, and pointed out loads of interesting little features. I really would recommend doing a tour if you can.

By far the most popular area was the Knuffingen Airport - which was, to be far, amazing!

An A380 and Concorde:
DSC_0333_zpsigp2pgkd.jpg

747 take-off:
DSC_0357_zpsduimsqja.jpg

Airport overview:
DSC_0368_zpsdsxosl60.jpg

I really urge you, if you're in Hamburg, to visit Miniatur Wonderland. It's so unique and creative!

By the time I'd finished there, I felt like I'd walked around all of Hamburg again, so I called it a day. Plus, I had an early start in the morning, so I figured I'd try to get some rest!

Day 3 - Heide Park

I picked up a hire car early in the morning and drove down to Heide Park. The park was basically dead, which I was a little surprised about actually, but I wasn't complaining! I went in to the park and planned to ride all the coasters and then come back for some pictures and re-rides and stuff afterwards. I barely queued for more than ten minutes for anything! Some ride opinions:

Krake - Really liked this! The drop was nice, and I liked the floater on the Immelmann and the airtime hill. Overall, really great coaster! I was also a big fan of the destroyed ship/Krake theming.

Flug de Damonen - Another excellent coaster. I've ridden Swarm, X-Flight and Flug now, and I think this was probably the best Wing Coaster I've done. X-Flight is really good, but I think I prefer the slightly more wacky layout of Flug. I rode front and back, and left and right and all seats were good, although I think I liked front right the best.

Colossus - I think El Toro is better, but this was ace! Great airtime and a fun layout.

Everything else was pretty much as I expected to be honest!

I popped out to the car and got my camera, thankfully by this point the clouds had cleared a little so I managed to get some nice pictures (I think).

Krake:
DSC_0397_zpswnpoyc5z.jpg

DSC_0398_zpsjf5rrf3b.jpg

Flug:
DSC_0468_zpsmh14vkvz.jpg

Colossus:
DSC_0392_zpsxrvg9hxb.jpg

The coasters looked really good in the sunset too. I do like it when coasters frame each other well.
DSC_0486_zpsjcaxtdgp.jpg

I then had a drive up to Lubeck, where I'd be staying for the next two nights. It was close to Hansa Park, and looked like it'd be a nice place to be.

Day 4 - Hansa Park

Had a leisurely start to the day, and got to the park a little after it opened. It didn't seem too busy, so I just rode the coasters in order as I got to them. There weren't many queues, so it was relatively painless to be honest. Some more reviews.

Karnan - One of the main motivators for visiting Hansa, and boy did this coaster deliver! The lift is cool, and the first drop is excellent - great airtime and really quite big. The forces on the pull out were quite strong too! The rest of the layout is fast, snappy and forceful and a lot of fun! The lap-bars are also really nice - so glad it doesn't have the OTSRs that Smiler has! It wasn't too rough either, only a few hints of the Gerstlauer shaping. ;) I really can't wait to see what they do with the theming for next season - it was the only let down of this coaster at the moment.

Fluch von Novgorod - I was really quite impressed by this too. The crappy shaping was more noticeable on this, but it was quite enjoyable. I didn't know anything about the layout, so that was a nice surprise for me - it's rare that that happens these days.

Everything else was quite good - had a really nice day in the park. Except for the very windy Star Flyer - that was horrifying! :lol:

I did a similar thing to what I'd done at Heide, and popped out around lunchtime to pick up my camera. So here's some pictures I snapped in the afternoon.

Karnan:
DSC_0507_zpskwlq6z3k.jpg

DSC_0525_zpsols4c4hv.jpg

DSC_0514_zpsvvznagoc.jpg

Fluch von Novgorod:
DSC_0561_zpss9qnqtnw.jpg

After leaving Hansa, I headed back to Lubeck for a bit more culture before dinner and bed.

DSC_0571_zpsbgaiqeiy.jpg

And that was just about that. My flight was in the morning the day after, so there isn't anything else much to report!

It was a good trip, I'd recommend both the parks if you haven't been (definitely Karnan) and Hamburg was a nice place to start.

Thanks for reading! :D

davidm

Strata Poster
Some nice pics there Matt, a return to Northern Germany is on the to-do list for next year with that Karnan and Phantasia :)

Mike

Giga Poster
I think I've seen that Miniatur Wunderland airport on a Facebook video; it looks fascinating.

Hansa Park looks excellent, and definitely want to get there myself soon!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The pictures are really good.
I can't wait to do this duo next year! I might look into visiting Miniatur Wunderland if I have time.

Ben

CF Legend
Miniatur Wonderland is SO fab. I could have watched that airport all day long <3

And Karnan is fab as well.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Really nice shots, especially the Karnan pics. Miniatur Wonderland has always been on my bucket list. Every detail of the models amaze me. Great Report!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

S

SimonSays99

Glad you had a great time in my home parks. The Hansa Star Flyer is about to leave as winds get quite too tubulent for it with the Kärnan tower. Nevertheless they ran that Flyer at high winds were any other park had shut it already down... :--D

But maybe the remove the Flyer as it was known to have computer glitches which required a restart of the control system - mostly when the passenger compartment is all the way. Then you sit there way up and enjoy the view for about 5 minutes until the restart is done. But GP could get quite panicky if this happens.

Hope you also enjoyed one of the few classic remaining HUSS Ranger.