What's new

Countdown or no countdown?

On rides with a sudden launch/drop, do you prefer a countdown?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

I prefered knowing I was going to drop on Dettie, I was more excited and looking forward to it but on Apocalypsy I poo poo it more not knowing.

kir

Hyper Poster
I also believe on launched coasters they have to have countdowns or warning signals of some sort so the rider knows when to brace themselves. On a drop tower it doesn't matter, because you aren't going to get concussion if you have your head forward.

I prefer no countdown though on drop towers, it's always nice not knowing when to expect the rush.

spicy

Giga Poster
I prefer a countdown it adds to the suspense. Although Hurakan Condour is fun and scary without a countdown I think it would be much better with one! :D

Fi

Mega Poster
I prefer countdowns since they build the excitment... but it's really funny when it launches before the countdown reaches 0 :p

Mat

Hyper Poster
Well I love stealths countdown. I allways seem to count down with it. Also it would be more of a shock if it didnt countdown.... but then again the countdown does make you feel more nervous about it. So yes, I do like a good countodwn.

Dude

Roller Poster
To me it all depends on the ride like on Drop Zone it doesnt have a countdown and it scares the **** out of me because I dont know when im about to fall and it adds to the ride experience.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I like to think that a countdown is better, because it makes me less nervous, but it'd probably be more of a thrill if I was more nervous, so I dunno. Thinking about it, I liked Scream! in Germany, and that was countdownless.

Pierre

Strata Poster
No countdown, the only two types of things that could possibly have a countdown I've been on are Cliffhanger and Velocity.
Cliffhanger would suck without a countdown as I love how its in the middle of the North Yorkshire moors you can be having a great view of the scenery and the rest of the park but BAM! before you know it your a few feet away from the ground!
Velocity, same thing, I love the way it edges you out of the station and all you can see in front of you is the huge hill, and you just sit there waiting, thinking, waiting, and then your over it.

No Countdown's provide more of a shock which is better IMO

Scarlet

Mega Poster
I think Detonator needs a countdown to enhance the rider's fear. Sure it was fun when the ops could use the PA system to try and frighten you but they're banned from that now (unless it's a breakdown). Detonator works with a countdown, other drop rides don't really need it, however Det has a personality of its own :lol: Turn the damn speakers back on you fools!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I like countdowns, and I really like them when they deliberately release the train before, or ages after, the end of the countdown!

I like countdowns simply because if they're pretty intense, they give you time to take a breath in instead of having to lose your breath and have an unpleasant experience on the launch. They also (if they give you time to register you're about to launch) give you some time to get pumped up and feel the anticipation about what lies ahead.

Then again, now that I think about Power Tower, I realize what fun it was to think the wait at the top lasted 9 seconds and then realize it's a bit less, therefore scaring me a great deal. It can be pretty fun being unknown, but I think I would rather have a chance to be warned rather than have no chance to get new underpants when I sh*t myself being scared to death.