What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sorry yes, I should point out that I'm not trying to bash anything here. I'm simply corroborating the fact that the 70% number was published (without all the necessary context) by BBC during their breaking news.

Totally understand all of the actual numbers that you post, just also pointing out the dynamic nature of how these things are reported.
Sorry, wasn’t meant to come across as a ‘dig’ at you or anyone else here... More the media and the way some have apparently reported it (although I should say I’ve seen nothing but sensible reporting with all numbers in it... And the first report I read gave me a direct link to the Oxford publication to read for myself.)

As a matter of fact, we’ll not know the full efficacy of any of the vaccines, at any dosage, until we’ve been using them a while. This is all about getting MHRA, FDA etc, approval. (And perhaps securing more orders ;) for those planning to profit)

Edited to add:

Another positive is that strangely, the 62% efficacy was in the 2 ‘full’ doses weeks apart... The 90% efficacy was in the ‘half’ dose first, then a ‘full’ dose weeks later.

That has scientists scratching their heads trying to understand why a half dose, rather than a full dose, for the first round seems to be more effective. But it does mean we can vaccinate a lot more people under that regime, which is more good news.

The actual Oxford publication... https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-23-oxford-university-breakthrough-global-covid-19-vaccine

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Not theme park news, but visitor attraction news.

The closure of the Clifton site isn't solely down to Covid although it is cited as a factor. The site is very restricted in terms of land and the sister site, Wild Place offers a lot more options for a park. Historically it is a shame thought, as it is one of the oldest zoos in existence. The zoo contains 3 grade II listed structures which appear to be worked into future site plans for housing.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ thats pretty sad.

As a kid (so quite a while ago yes) we used to go on our summer holidays down Bristol way (to the same caravan park near Clevedon where someone had a holiday caravan thing) - but when my mother took just me and my sister down there a couple of times each year over the school hols we often would go to Brizzle Zoo for the the day (was back in the days of the talking lemurs </Animal Magic reference>).

Will

Strata Poster
Feel a bit bad for anyone who'd booked a festive break at Alton Towers since that's off the cards now - but as I live in Staffs, hoping I might be able to make the trip to see the garden illuminations at some point in December, as I was disappointed to miss those at Halloween.

Alas, the only 'major' ride open is Spinball, and the stupid single rider policy means that's out for me.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Fantastic news; it would appear that NHS hospitals are now preparing to receive their first doses of vaccine from 7th December, with a vaccination program starting on that date or slightly after: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...pare-early-december-covid-vaccine-rollout-nhs

This is due to the Pfizer vaccine being expected to get approved next week.
So they’re giving it to NHS staff first... Despite them not being at the top of the priority lists... Because the vaccine is that fragile it cannot be moved again once it reaches hospitals, and must be administered with 5 days ?? At risk groups need to wait for the Oxford jab.

Do you see why I was saying what I was saying a few posts back now?

Matt N

CF Legend
So they’re giving it to NHS staff first... Despite them not being at the top of the priority lists... Because the vaccine is that fragile it cannot be moved again once it reaches hospitals, and must be administered with 5 days ?? At risk groups need to wait for the Oxford jab.

Do you see why I was saying what I was saying a few posts back now?
Yes; I think the Oxford jab will be more practical for settings outside of a hospital, even if it is less effective.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yes; I think the Oxford jab will be more practical for settings outside of a hospital, even if it is less effective.
I’m hopeful they’ll administer this one to the public also, but it will take more time to setup the supply chain between distribution centres and community vaccination centres, given the time sensitive nature of those chains.

It looks like they’re not even attempting to store it at -80 at final destination, just administer it within 5 days. Which I suppose makes sense. The equipment to store it is very expensive, in a country this small just store it at one or two distribution centres then send it in small quantities to local centres to be used within 5 days.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Matt N

CF Legend
Beat me to it!!!

Vaccines to begin shipping immediately with the vaccinations to begin being administered in days!!!
I’m not sure whether this is the timeline now, but I did hear about 7th December possibly being the date when the first doses are administered to health workers a few days back.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m not sure whether this is the timeline now, but I did hear about 7th December possibly being the date when the first doses are administered to health workers a few days back.
That date was given in articles that predicted approval by the end of this week... So could even be sooner now. But either way... 5 days!!!!

Edited to add: It’s worth noting that the government asked the MHRA to begin their approval process for the Oxford vaccine just 4 days after (27th Nov) they began the process for the Pfizer one!!! (23rd Nov)

In a week we could have 2 candidates approved... Including one ready for ‘Mass’ use!

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
Germany's partial lockdown has been extended to January 10th. Means the Christmas seasons in Europa and Phantasia are effectively cancelled if they haven't been already.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Germany's partial lockdown has been extended to January 10th. Means the Christmas seasons in Europa and Phantasia are effectively cancelled if they haven't been already.

A shame for us goons, bad not surprising. They’re one of a few EU countries having a second wave worse than the first, in terms of deaths... Something that was predicted back when they were doing so well the first time :/

Poland are having a tough time too... Again, hardly surprising... They did so well the first time this was their attitude to it in the summer!!!

4C1E5CF1-33D4-4882-AF85-3E742AB33BEC.jpeg
752D78C0-429E-4F6A-87B3-527B2E54C4EF.jpeg

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Indeed Germany numbers crazy high now. Not surprising the winter stuff is canned. Interesting to note Netherlands are still posting low-ish death figures. Hopefully that doesn't change.

Wow, numbers in the USA are completely sky rocketing, there are now more active cases added in the last 6 weeks than they had in total before that! Pretty much 3000 daily deaths reported. Doubt the west coast parks that are normally opened all year will be opening any time soon.

I wonder how quickly other countries will start their vaccination programmes. Probably soon once it gets going here in the UK in the next week I would have thought.

Hopefully the vaccination roll out and effect thereof will be fast enough to prevent numbers to sky rocket to 1000 daily deaths or more here.
I think January and February could be really bad (consider influenza is usually the worst then) if vaccination doesn't make enough of a dent soon enough. I think people will be going shopping crazy now that lockdown is over. People will just be doing much Christmas shopping over a shorter time period surely.

Last edited:

oriolat2

Giga Poster
PortAventura have stated on their official social media that they won't reopen for the reminder of the season.

So, kids, no Shambhala until March 2021 I am afraid.