What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

UP87

Mega Poster
This seems better value than Düsselland, where it costs 8 euros to enter (10 on weekends) and then you still have to pay per ride.
You have to pay per ride but they say it's heavily discounted fares on the rides. So... hard to say about which is the better value as long as we don't know the ticket prices from Düsselland.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Would book, but bad weather forecast
Hope this doesn't affect annual pass holders!
Passholders extensions have been increased to cover July and August... Because they will be required to pay £1 booking fee when attractions reopen...

This is incredible generosity on the part of Merlin, effectively giving passholders 2 months free use of their passes (ok so it’s £1 a visit, not free, but still)

Edited: to correct inaccurate free period.

B3117FFA-609D-4003-88B5-3B011B9A9C65.png

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Think this is a good idea, especially as normally most people ignore the gardens at AT as they are focussing on the rides.

Can't help but think there are going to be a lot of moaners who turn up expecting the rides to be open only to find them shut, even though it states only the gardens are opening. :rolleyes:?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Think this is a good idea, especially as normally most people ignore the gardens at AT as they are focussing on the rides.

Can't help but think there are going to be a lot of moaners who turn up expecting the rides to be open only to find them shut, even though it states only the gardens are opening. :rolleyes:?
I’ve got a feeling we may see rides open before July 4th

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I reckon so too, looks like the government seem to be fast-tracking getting the economy back open again.
They’re mostly fast tracking outdoor activities, reading the SAGE minute confirms this. It’s a good strategy, but only if people don’t all congregate in the same places, i.e beaches and public parks, as distancing is impossible then. I would say that opening up MORE outdoor spaces could actually have less of a negative effect on R0 than continuing as we are with packed beaches and other public spaces. But that’s just my 2 pence worth...

JammyH

Hyper Poster
They’re mostly fast tracking outdoor activities, reading the SAGE minute confirms this. It’s a good strategy, but only if people don’t all congregate in the same places, i.e beaches and public parks, as distancing is impossible then. I would say that opening up MORE outdoor spaces could actually have less of a negative effect on R0 than continuing as we are with packed beaches and other public spaces. But that’s just my 2 pence worth...

Agreed. At the moment some places are far too crowded and people would be better distributed over more places to avoid overcrowding on the beaches and in the parks. I guess that's what the government's plan is as things like Kew Gardens and obviously the towers gardens are reopening now this week.

Definitely think the rides won't be before 15th June at the earliest, and even then I would be sceptical, as they would probably only be permitted to have outdoor areas open and not the indoor areas.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Agreed. At the moment some places are far too crowded and people would be better distributed over more places to avoid overcrowding on the beaches and in the parks. I guess that's what the government's plan is as things like Kew Gardens and obviously the towers gardens are reopening now this week.

Definitely think the rides won't be before 15th June at the earliest, and even then I would be sceptical, as they would probably only be permitted to have outdoor areas open and not the indoor areas.

I am not in any way confident we’ll see rides open before July, just a feeling that we ‘may’ do.

Off track a little bit, Boris is a massive advocate of staycations this summer. Would love to see some data on how much brits spend abroad vs how much tourism earns the UK... Because I’m almost certain we spend billions and billions more abroad than is spent here... Could forcing Brits to holiday in the UK be a sure fire way of rebounding our tourism, hospitality and leisure sectors? At the expense of the airline industry.

Edit: I went and found some figures...

inbound tourism is worth £28.4b to the UK

Brits spend £48b abroad in outbound tourism...

So keep the Brits at home for their vacations and the sector could earn twice what it earns from foreign tourists!!!

Airlines directly contribute just £5.2b to the UK economy...

Maybe there is more at play with this quarantine than has previously been considered ;)

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
They’re already keen to get foreign holidays up and running in July, though, as there’s talks of both “air bridges” and a hasty scrappage of the 14-day quarantine policy.

Personally, I’ll be very surprised if the government does not permit park openings by July.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
They’re already keen to get foreign holidays up and running in July, though, as there’s talks of both “air bridges” and a hasty scrappage of the 14-day quarantine policy.

Personally, I’ll be very surprised if the government does not permit park openings by July.
Yes I’m aware... And I am 99% certain that by July we’ll at least be able to travel inside Europe... But I was just suggesting that maybe there was more to the original thinking than just the epidemiology advice from SAGE ;)

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster

Who knows dude. At the moment the likes of Ikea can invite hundreds of people into a single building whilst zoos struggling for money and caring for precious animals with wide open spaces have to remain closed.
Last time I checked a chimp didn't qualify for furlough.

Nicola Sturgeon threatened to impose a 5 mile travel limit on Scots. So presumably Covid 19 knows how far you travel and there is no such thing as living in rural Scotland I guess.

Parks will probably open in a month but maybe there will be another arbitrary rule that states you can go on a roller coaster from July 4th but when you get home you have to self isolate x days where x is the maximum speed at which the roller coaster travelled in MPH divided by 2.5 rounded up to the nearest whole day. If you are Dominic Cummings you can subtract 5 days but only if you were having an eye test whilst riding the coaster. If you are Scottish, like myself, you have to add 6 1/2 days or ask if they can run the coaster slower.

----
On a serious note:
The non existent government in Belgium suggested theme parks can only open from 1st of August. Owners of the parks are furious according to loopings.nl. Final decision is tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be as late as that and maybe they will have a similar date as the UK.

Last edited:

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Chester Zoo, one of the biggest zoo's in Europe, have now setup a webpage to save the zoo.

Our conservationists have continued to prevent extinction, our virtual days have cheered up the nation, and our learning resources have helped thousands of home-schooling families.

But now, as the government has ordered that we may have to stay closed indefinitely, it hurts us to say that this crisis has left us FIGHTING FOR OUR FUTURE.

Not being able to open, despite being a huge outdoor site with all the necessary safety measures in place, is having a devastating impact on our much-loved zoo. We’re heading towards debt in excess of £24m by the end of 2020 – this will financially cripple us. We need to raise £1.6m each month to keep going.

Meanwhile, we’re having to sit back and watch as people are piling onto beaches and into public parks, where there is no way of controlling numbers, no way of guaranteeing people are socially distanced and no way of ensuring safety. We, can do all of this.

We look on as, from this week, private gardens open up, while we and our own 128 acres of gardens and 16km of pathways remain closed, and under enormous financial pressure.

If this threatening for a non-profit, who has lower taxes, then this is majorly concerning as well for the other UK/European tourist attractions. For example Chester Zoo has had similar attendance figures (aprox. 2 million/year) to Alton Towers for the past 5 years or so.

Personally I'd hate to see Chester Zoo go as I have childhood memories at the zoo and honestly the recent Islands area of the Zoo is one of the best themed areas in the UK by miles. I felt heartbroken when I heard they closed the monorail.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Chester Zoo, one of the biggest zoo's in Europe, have now setup a webpage to save the zoo.

If this threatening for a non-profit, who has lower taxes, then this is majorly concerning as well for the other UK/European tourist attractions. For example Chester Zoo has had similar attendance figures (aprox. 2 million/year) to Alton Towers for the past 5 years or so.

Personally I'd hate to see Chester Zoo go as I have childhood memories at the zoo and honestly the recent Islands area of the Zoo is one of the best themed areas in the UK by miles. I felt heartbroken when I heard they closed the monorail.
I feel awful for them, and have and will continue to support my local zoo with donations... But seem odd language to use when other zoos are still preparing to open on July 4th.

From what I’ve read on other zoo pages, they were technically allowed to open any time they pleased until they were added to the official ‘closed businesses’ list this week with the updates documented recently in this thread. They will still be allowed to open at some point from July, and if they expected to open any earlier than that, it was probably wishful thinking.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I can see a storm brewing.

Whilst the government was busy confirming ridiculous quarantine fines, rambling about nonsense in the commons and zoos remain closed, Hyde Park is now filled with an estimated 15,000 people.

Even though I am sympathetic towards defeating institutional racism I do not accept this double standard of lockdown enforcement at all. Doubt I am the only one. "Hard won progress" Priti Patel mentioned. But we can overlook it if we demonstrate against racism? Now the estimated 50,000 Covid 19 deaths in the UK do not matter?

In The Netherlands the demonstration on Monday already caused a lot of commotion with the Amsterdam mayor landing in hot water, whilst a protest last week where people were actually demonstrating against the 1,5metre rule AND keeping a safe distance there saw large police numbers show up and people arrested.

The world has gone completely mad in 2020.

Given how slow the government in the UK is reacting to things, maybe they will discuss re-opening zoos by December.

Simply put:
It's a disgrace Drayton Manor can't open its zoo.