What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

A++

Roller Poster
Legoland Japan is closed once more today, after reopening for just 18 days.

Disneyland Shanghai still remains closed, it's now been 77 days since the park closed on the 24th of January.

It's all looking pretty bleak.

Matt N

CF Legend
Personal opinion is that masks in theme parks are the best way forward. As we've discussed above, around 50% of infected people don't show symptoms and therefore you aren't going to have a fever when entering the park, however could still spread the virus. If everyone wore a mask the risk of the virus spreading is significantly reduced.

I read somewhere the other day that you need 8 metres between people! There was a scientific study which detected that droplets could infect one person to another from a distance of 3metres, however they didn't test any further distance than that, so the actual distance required between people isn't known. (but 1m definitely isn't enough!).
Would face masks arguably negate the need for social distancing to an extent?

With regard to Six Flags, if deferring investment is what's needed to keep them afloat, then I think that's the best thi for them to do.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Facemasks can reduce the spread of viruses when a person coughs, but not totally. So social distancing should still be practiced.

The bigger issue with facemasks is that the majority you see on the street worn by 'normal' people are extremely cheap and ineffective at stopping the spread. Most should be single use (ie when you cough / get it moist, you dispose of it). Some you should remove and wash after a cough. The majority of people don't actually do this, which negates their effectiveness and point.

The fact that you see people alone in their cars driving and wearing masks shows that people don't understand the point or correct use of masks. As such, facemasks aren't the answer to negate the need for social distancing.

JammyH

Hyper Poster

Disneyland Shanghai still remains closed, it's now been 77 days since the park closed on the 24th of January.

Hardly surprising. The Disneyland Shanghai resort (excluding the park) continues to operate but visitors must be wearing a face mask at all times, have their temperature screened upon entry and also have a green Shanghai QR code.

The Disneyland parks rely a lot on international visitors and seeing as the FCO have advised against all but essential travel until June, I highly doubt any of the Disney parks would be preparing to open before then.

To an extent, I would say yes, however I guess in these times it's always just good to practise social distancing anyway. As I've said above I'm still a bit unsure with the advice being given around. Here in the UK we are told to stay 2m apart from others, however scientific tests have proven the respiratory droplets from someone infected (symptomatic or asymptomatic) can travel at least 3m and still infect someone else. So where has the 2m advice come from, and before we were saying 1m as well!?

Because we know that approx 50% of the cases are asymptomatic and the virus can be spread from respiratory droplets from simply talking, in my opinion the best way forward is to have a requirement that anyone going outside has to wear a face mask. We know from studies that whilst a face mask may does not provide full protection against getting infected yourself, it protects those around you from getting infected. Therefore, if everyone going outside/on public transport etc, has to wear a face mask, akin to the rule now in Austria and the one in place in wuhan, then transmission of this virus will be significantly decreased. It's all very good washing your hands incase you touch an object with the virus on it, however in reality this is nowhere near as effective as providing a barrier against respiratory droplets.

Now the issue with this in the UK; front line healthcare workers aren't even able to get surgical grade face masks. I honestly don't know how we have managed to get ourselves into such a mess regarding all of this however you have to remember the masks are made in china, and therefore a proactive decision to order masks should have been made, rather than providing inaccurate advice to the public that masks are useless and do not do anything against the virus. We are now seeing many countries discuss the possibility that people will only be allowed outside post lockdown if you are wearing a face mask, Germany and France are included in this. As a country every decision made has been too slow and this is now why it is impractical for the government to tell everyone going outside that a mask needs to be worn, as we don't even have enough for front line NHS staff.

Sorry, I've slightly rambled, but going back to to answer your question. I would say yes(to an extent- but it's probably wise just to keep your distance from other groups anyway) I was watching a youtube video last night of a walk around Disney and universal parks and they are honestly so crowded and it is difficult for people to maintain significant distance as there are just so many people, even if the paths are quite wide. (obviously I imagine they will re-operate at limited capacity). With Disney you have the fastpass system which means people aren't encouraged to stand in queue lines anyway, and im sure with all of this going on, those standing in queue lines will maintain a significant distance between groups anyway. However, as ive said above at the Shanghai resort you must be wearing a facemask at all times to be onsite, and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if this was a policy adopted at Disney parks worldwide (especially if France jump onboard saying public can only go outside if they are wearing a face mask, then this would likely be enforced at DLP too).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

IMO, Based on my limited understanding, compulsory face masks (worn properly) good hand hygiene, and an infection rate of above 30 - 35% (partial herd immunity) should be enough to bring the R0 down to 1 or close to it. But who knows for sure.

I’m reading more and more often that 2m (indoors in particular) has minimal effect on the R0, and masks worn by all could be more effective. BUT it should also be noted that currently the WHO, whilst now acknowledging their effectiveness, only recommend wearing them if you’re showing symptoms or caring for somebody... (I think this is to protect the currently limited supply chain)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
There’s actually a lot of research out proving that no - social distancing is always to be maintained regardless. This is because:
  • The Covid-19 virus transmits ~3 feet droplets emitted from an infected persons nose/mouth, before dropping.
  • Masks are not 100% effective, especially any non-medical grade, cloth masks.
It’s for this reasons that US guidance from the CDC emphasizes social distancing as first and foremost, with mask use for public spaces where distancing is difficult to maintain: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

[EDIT] Also adding in current health awareness ads that are actually running in our state too, to this effect. :)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Along with the two US Universal Parks being shut until May 31st, Holiday World have pushed back their opening to the "early June".

i305_zack

Mega Poster

It's all looking pretty bleak.
The reason why the LEGO land closed was because unfortunately Japan has had a jump in cases and had 500 new cases yesterday, they think most of that was people for abroad coming in but they can’t confirm that, I am still hoping for Memorial Day opening for all parks in America but it is looking less likely as of today

JammyH

Hyper Poster
The reason why the LEGO land closed was because unfortunately Japan has had a jump in cases and had 500 new cases yesterday, they think most of that was people for abroad coming in but they can’t confirm that, I am still hoping for Memorial Day opening for all parks in America but it is looking less likely as of today
No chance.

Matt N

CF Legend
With where the pandemic is currently, I think anywhere between the end of May and the end of July seems like a plausible guess as to when parks might reopen. I'd probably lean more towards June/July myself, but if things take a turn for the better very suddenly or countries lift lockdown measures earlier than anticipated, then I could potentially see May in a very best case scenario.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Memorial Day 2021 might be ok if you're lucky.

Meanwhile loopings.nl is reporting that Kolmården in Sweden is partially open for season ticket holders and hotel guests only over the next several weekends.
Heavily restricting the numbers around Wildfire (up to 50) but apparently it IS running.
Crazy.

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/141...k-open--inclusief-spectaculaire-achtbaan.html
Is this an April fools! :oops:

These swedes are crazy. They claim they are naturally good at social distancing yet I went there and I didn't see any forms of social distancing whatsoever.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I would put money on July... I expect things to be relaxed a lot by June, enough for businesses to consider reopening... But will they? How quickly can they make the arrangements? Organise staff, supplies etc.

So many people say that as soon as the announcement is made they’re heading to the pub... But even if they do say “with immediate effect” like when they closed us, it will take us time to reopen.

We’ve got to wait for beer wholesalers to reopen, for them to obtain stock, how many breweries are going to be still kegging beer? Not many, and stocks will be past date by then. Once they have stock they’ve got to deliver it to us, we then have to setup the beer lines by giving them a good clean. It could even take a week or more, and that is a small country pub... Imagine the logistics of opening a theme park at the drop of a hat.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
We’ve got to wait for beer wholesalers to reopen, for them to obtain stock, how many breweries are going to be still kegging beer? Not many, and stocks will be past date by then. Once they have stock they’ve got to deliver it to us, we then have to setup the beer lines by giving them a good clean. It could even take a week or more, and that is a small country pub... Imagine the logistics of opening a theme park at the drop of a hat.

Wasn't it the Plopsa owner that said De Panne would take at least a week to open once they know it's safe to be able to do so? I'd expect a Disney park to take several weeks if that's the case. But perhaps such large entertainment venues including cinema chains will be kept in the loop a bit better with more advanced warning by the government than smaller ones.

When this lockdown ends is anyone's guess. I do think it will be gradually lifted over the summer most likely but that may not include much time for seasonal theme parks to even bother with opening this year. It is also a bit unclear to me if people would turn out in droves straight away after being cooked up for so long or be somewhat hesitant at first and rather finish watching streaming series they started to watch first. When parks CAN open really depends on what happens over the next few months. I'm pretty sure lockdown in the UK will be extended for another 3 weeks and probably another 3-4 weeks after that still. So end May / June before anything can be decided on what can open first, but it won't be theme parks I bet.

There really is conflicting information from the media so this doesn't help. The Daily Mail reports life won't be the same for another year, The Daily Telegraph says "social distancing is indefinite" whilst The Times reports that scientists are 80% sure a working Covid-19 vaccine will be ready by September. Oh and if anyone out there cares The Sun reports that Amanda "5G" Holden is going to bring life back to normal with Britain's Got Talent.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Is this an April fools! :oops:

These swedes are crazy. They claim they are naturally good at social distancing yet I went there and I didn't see any forms of social distancing whatsoever.
They’re not crazy, they have some of the best scientists in the world, and have accepted that herd immunity whilst flattening the curve and protecting at risk groups is the only viable option. They know they’re going to lose people in the short run, but in the long run they’ll be over it more quickly with far less risk of a second wave.

They are 22 days away from their peak. There’s still a chance more measures will be introduced before then.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
BPB have a clever way of securing funding for next year at the same time as compensating season pass holders for this year... For the period they are closed, a percentage discount will be calculated for you to use off next year’s pass. The other option is to completely pause your pass until 2021

EBB43DC7-8E6C-4B63-823B-F1EC5F3834C7.jpeg

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
they are hopeful they will open at some point this season.
there is still that small speck of sunlight at the end of this very long and dark tunnel

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If any of our Polish members know what, if anything, Energylandia are doing for their Annual Pass holders, i’d be grateful to know, I am rubbish with the Polish language ?

Would it be inappropriate to post the question in one of the Energylandia threads, with it not being construction talk?

Matt N

CF Legend
Interestingly, the virus doesn't seem to have deterred Cedar Fair from building new rides; Kings Dominion is still going ahead with its Free Spin for 2021, and Dorney Park has just filed to build a new coaster for next year!