What's new

Coney Island Cyclone to be retracked by GCI

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Looks like the famous, iconic wooden Cyclone is to be retracked by GCI:

lt9bq.jpg

Central Amusement International (CAI) – the subsidiary of Italian ride manufacturer Zamperla overseeing the revitalization of the Coney Island amusement scene – has now set its sights on the mighty Cyclone wooden roller coaster.
CAI officials acknowledged that the Cyclone is in need of repairs. They did their research and settled on one company they felt has the competence and passion to invigorate the ailing ride, Pennsylvania-based Great Coasters International, Inc.

Amusement Today spoke with Valerio Ferrari, president of CAI, about the work taking place on the grand old ride and why GCII was selected for the project. “We are very excited for the improvements that have been and will be made to The Cyclone. This ride is rich in history, and being able to preserve it for future generations to enjoy is something that CAI is very proud to be part of,” said Ferrari. “CAI chose GCII to renovate the Cyclone mainly for two reasons. First and most importantly, they are an industry leader with a proven track record on renovating existing coasters while maintaining each coasters’ ‘identity’. Second, they demonstrated a very strong desire to put their thumbprint on such a prestigious and iconic ride.

“GCII surveyed the Cyclone’s track and proposed that by making small adjustments to its profile, we will be able to create a more enjoyable riding experience for our guests. Since this is both financial and labor intensive, CAI concluded that breaking the project into phases will allow us to keep the Cyclone open during our operating season and stay within budget constraints,” continued Ferrari. “The Cyclone’s track replacement is expected to be completed within four to five years. As part of the final phase, we are looking into either refurbishing or replacing the Cyclone’s trains. Plans are not final, however, our vision is to keep the trains similar to the original design. When we are finished, the track and other ride systems will be state-of-the-art and will also meet current ride standards.”

If all goes as planned and the weather cooperates, CAI officials feel the Cyclone will be ready to open on Palm Sunday, April 1, 2012.

So what do you think? Happy?

Please reply!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Now that's an interesting move. I've mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, this may destroy or at least radically chance the character that the ride had. The Cyclone is a piece of roller coaster history. It's a uniquely brutal ride. I'm glad I got to ride it back in 2008 and experience it for what it is - a lethal monster. It wasn't what I'd call a great ride, but it was certainly an experience, albeit one I've no desire to repeat any time soon. In a way, it would be a real shame to lose that - it's what makes the Coney Island Cyclone what it is. Take away the brutality and it's not really The Cyclone any more.

That said, if it receives a good overhaul by GCI, it may become a much better ride. It's be much more fun to ride if it didn't compact your spine down by about an inch every time you go down a drop, especially if it manages to maintain a wild, out of control feeling.

Ordinarily I'd say "give me the better ride" without any reservations. In the case of the Coney Island Cyclone, we're talking about radically changing a piece of history, and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Bingo. I'd say it's a good step as it helps keep the Cyclone current and maintains ridership, which is what really matters for a coaster at the end of the day.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
UC and Hyde have nailed it for me. Sure, it's quite fun riding it knowing it's old and 'untouched', but for the sake of keeping the attraction running, I say go for it!

It's not JUST the actual track of the coaster that makes Cyclone fun, it's the history, it's the location, it's the feel of the whole area.

I wonder what the protection of the ride covers, do they have to try and apply for permission to make changes like this?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yes, it's history, but it's also a wooden coaster - they need to be retracked. The Cyclone is no exception. Yeah, it's a piece of history and they're messing with it, but not only will the ride be smoother, but the new track will probably last longer as well.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hixee said:
I wonder what the protection of the ride covers, do they have to try and apply for permission to make changes like this?
I'd imagine Cyclone's status protects the name, the location, and the general construction of the coaster, but still allows for minor alterations such as retracking.

Basically, you can't tear it down.

Cyclone is a US National Landmark, an ACE Classic, a Coaster monument, a New York City landmark, and has been nationally registered as a historic landmark. Wow!

Ben

CF Legend
Antinos said:
Yes, it's history, but it's also a wooden coaster - they need to be retracked.

This.

It's not like it'll be the original track ANYWAY... Surely :p Maybe that's why it's so vile, haha <3

Martyn B

CF Legend
I would have liked to have ridden it in its original form, but, I dunno.... I can't stand the Big Dipper and how painful that is, so maybe its good that I wont get to experience it like that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

The ride is brutal, and people do remember that. It will stop re-rides, and even revisits to Coney Island (we have definite proof with MouseAT above saying so ;) ). So the ride either remains static in popularity, or (as is most likely) loses rider levels year on year. Eventually, there's not enough money generated to justify basic maintenance and the thing just becomes "a landmark". Much better to change it and keep it? Probably. I hope that GCI can preserve what there is, treat the job respectfully which I think they probably can. The question is, "was it always so brutal?" I doubt it was to be honest, so the retracking may actually bring it back a little closer to the original ride?

STC

Mega Poster
Why would a park tear down their icon and star attraction anyway?

Pretty sure the New York press would vilify any attempt to demolish it, isn't it seen as somewhat of a city treasure?

I agree with furie, retracking it will probably bring it closer to the original ride experience!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know about the Cyclone, but Grand National used to run without any restraints at all. My sister rode it aged 7 or 8 with no restraints at all.

The trains changed and had restraints added. I rode it post change and until the new Kumbak trains installed in 2006, I found the ride to be brilliant. It was rough to a degree, but fast, fun and everything else - it was never brutal.

Post 2006 and the ride is now brutal, sometimes. It seems to be trains as much as track, but... it seems to be much faster. I rode with Minor_Furie in 2005 (he was 8) and he was right out of his seat, really, properly right above any safe limit and could easily have come out of the train (I held onto his shoulders after the first drop and he came out so far he came over the centre divide).

Now, what's always intrigued me is if the coaster ran that wild before the trains had restraints added, how many riders did it lose? Why didn't it lose riders? Was it actually a slightly more sedate ride due to the trains being heavier or something?

Obviously I don't know the answer and I doubt there are many people who have an accurate memory and have ridden these rides over the years and can give us a good comparison. Also, obviously the Grand National isn't the Cyclone, I don't know if the Cyclone ever an sans restraints (and I can't remember the ride enough to be able to say it would feel very dangerous not to have any).

I know that in 1920, a Scenic Railway was considered an exciting and thrilling ride, by 1930 they're a relic. So people's attitudes do change you're right, but I think sometimes it's the other way too. The Cyclone is still a frantic ride though, but as other thrill rides have developed, have some people changed their opinion on what is fast, frantic and exciting in another way. So they say the Cyclone was incredible in 1950, but after riding a steel looping coaster in the 70's, it's suddenly not as exciting. Or it's just as exciting because it's getting rougher and wilder with age?

We don't know, and I suspect that it really depends on the ride. I don't know the Cylcone well enough or the history of it well enough to be able to put forward a solid argument, but it's an interesting discussion point :)

STC

Mega Poster
The new Nash trains are not KumbaK, they are PTCs. :)

KumbaK were responsible for the overall updating of the ride system (which they made a complete hash of).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
STC said:

KumbaK were responsible for the overall updating of the ride system (which they made a complete hash of).

Okay, corrected, but at least one of them is complete and utter **** and needs burning.

UC - fair enough, you know far more than I do from good sources so you're probably right. I agree that the chances are it'll be changes to make it more palatable to modern riders which may "destroy" the integrity of the rides rough and ready history, but at least keep it operationally viable. No doubt there will be people complaining that it'll ruin the ride. I'm sure they said the same about adding restraints the the Nash, and the trim on Boulder Dash before the last corner. Both proved to be wrong and both arguably improved the rides considerably :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
and the trim on Boulder Dash before the last corner. Both proved to be wrong and both arguably improved the rides considerably

Actually, that was removed at some point before last season. Ride ran better than ever last year.

LOL WFT? I know Jerry said that it ran a lot better with the trim in place, how weird. I guess it shows that these things are really unpredictable :)

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
furie said:
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.
Agreed. I'd probably much prefer a revised, smoother ride, don't get me wrong. I really hope they manage to pull it off, make it into something worth riding, rather than being "ouch" or "meh". In the grand scheme of things, other than us enthusiasts, I doubt many people are really interested in the ride for the historical value anyway.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Annoyed that I'll never get to ride it at it's most violent, but at the end of the day, if a smoother ride attracts more MOPs then it can only be good for the future.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
If the roughness of the ride is erased, then surely there'll be a larger emphasis on other features, such as airtime or speed, as well as its popularity. If people come off the Cyclone, feeling "rugged", laden with small bruises and perphaps a small headache, then they're unlikely to enter the queline in the next 5 minutes. (Perhaps a little bit of exaggeration on my part there!)

However, the Cyclone is, let's face it the best ride there, and the only (according to rcdb) coaster credit in the park, and its closure will leave many unsuspecting visitors saying: "Why on earth did we even come here in the first place?"

However, I'm sure GCI will do a great job! :--D

tks

Strata Poster
furie said:
STC said:

Okay, corrected, but at least one of them is complete and utter **** and needs burning.

Anything KumbaK touches turns to ****. Stampida is just the worst </3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^The $8 per ride is more likely to put people off reriding than the bruises. It's not that it's too expensive really, but anything that's pay-per-ride automatically limits rerides for most people.

Oh, and it's not the only coaster there. It's just that RCDB has Coney Island separated into different parks. Luna Park and Scream Zone are in the same area, so there are at least 4 more coasters plus a load of flat rides spread over the site.