What's new

Competition to help design Alton Tower's 2013 ride

Joey said:
EDIT: As for nothing new this year, that's just because Dreamworks are dickheads and let them down after they'd been working on this years addition for months. At the time when I first heard about the Shrek stuff, I was dubious, but now I actually think it could have been awesome. Shame, but in the long run I hope it pays off. The next few years should be good.

I can really imagine Dreamworks being 'spoilt' (for want of a better word) by Universal Singapore's attempt at a Shrek themed area and Towers' attempt being nowhere near that...

All for them regenerating the kids areas in that area of the park... But IPs at Towers don't seem to click nicely enough... For whatever reason, but Charlie and Sonic are just both plain awful, especially when Thomas Town is down the road...

I just think IPs are never going to be as good as purely original and unique ideas... I know they can get lots of money to pay for it all from the IP people, but when the choices of franchises are pretty weak from Merlin (Saw and Shrek are both dead now effectively), it makes you wonder why they go for cheap dead franchises when surely originality would potentially cause a much better environment that no-one can recreate?

Joey said:
As for nothing new this year, that's just because Dreamworks are dickheads and let them down after they'd been working on this years addition for months.

I don't think protecting their brand (a very lucrative one at that) from a piss-poor product tie-in is them being dickheads at all.

I don't like them using IPs, either. But it must make their budget a lot higher than they'd otherwise get. I think it's odd that, by comparison, Saw worked really well by comparison to Alton where the applications have been crap.

RE: Gavin, protecting their brand is one thing but pulling out last minute shows they weren't paying attention the whole way through. And if they were stupid enough to think Alton were going to have a budget like Universal, then wth..?

It could have been really good I recon, I think that was actually an IP that would work with Alton in a complete retheme of Storybook land.

I reckon it's better to have a one year gap, get as much money as you can (by making the pizzas colder :p ) and giving something good to the public in the future. Anyway, I also wish my mom had me a few years before... I have great ideas in mind...
Roller Coaster +
3_ring_gyroscope3.jpg

:drinking:

Just noticed this on Alton's Facebook.
Alton Towers said:
Show your support for TH13TEEN! We are giving you the chance to win a Resort break when you vote for TH13TEEN at 13.13pm on the 13th August. The first 13 people to vote for the ultimate rollercoaster at this time will win a fantastical stay and of course the chance to ride their All Time Great. Just go to http://www.altontowers.com to cast your vote!

They're getting people to vote in it to win a small holiday. Hmmm..................

Thekingin64 said:
Just noticed this on Alton's Facebook.
Alton Towers said:
Show your support for TH13TEEN! We are giving you the chance to win a Resort break when you vote for TH13TEEN at 13.13pm on the 13th August. The first 13 people to vote for the ultimate rollercoaster at this time will win a fantastical stay and of course the chance to ride their All Time Great. Just go to http://www.altontowers.com to cast your vote!

They're getting people to vote in it to win a small holiday. Hmmm..................

They were trust trying to boost 13 so it did not finish last lol.

I am pleased Nemesis won.

Pleased Nemesis won but Thirteen should have come last to send the message that AT need to try harder next time. At least Rita doesn't stop in the middle.

Well it's no surprise Nemesis won. Could've told you from the start this was going to happen. Surely Alton must have known this too?

According to a Towers worker, Rita was actually bottom BEFORE that competition for Thirteen took place...

Still funny how Intamin suck at Towers... Good to see this recognised more than anything tbh, especially since the multi-voting method meant that most enthusiasts voted more than once (making the voting kinda pointless in a way)...

Oh well, wonder if Towers will actually email EVERYONE who entered the 2013 competition...

I'm surprised Rita didn't win, a couple of years after it opened it was voted by guests as the best ride in the park.

^ A group of my friends went a few weeks ago and every single one of them said Rita was their favorite ride.

Rita used to be, but then it got rough and Nemesis got better.

I don't think there's any surprise there then...

Colossus The Power of 10 said:
^ A group of my friends went a few weeks ago and every single one of them said Rita was their favorite ride.

A group of my family went a few months ago and said Thirteen was their favourite ride.

The moral of this story?

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence and my family should never be allowed into theme parks ever again.

Most popular on park, I think it's Rita or air to be honest, but most popular for people who can be bothered to vote on their most "popular coaster", it's the goons and Nemesis ;)

When I went with family and friends almost all them said Air was their favourite. It was mine until I rode Nemesis 15 minutes after...

Martyn B said:
I'm surprised Rita didn't win, a couple of years after it opened it was voted by guests as the best ride in the park.

Yeah I seem to remember it got that accolade in its opening year right at the beginning of the season. I didn't believe the result back then and I still don't now. I think it was more likely to be part of a marketing campaign for the then new attraction.

Glad to hear that Nemesis won. It has been my favourite UK Coaster for so many years. Nothing ever seems to come very close to it. It is still my favourite invert. Neither Mamba nor Katun did quite enough to topple it.

Of course, the strange voting system has lent itself towards enthusiasts voting for their favourite over and over. I am unsure whether anyone else would have been fussed to vote more than a couple of times. Still, Nemesis is considered the best and Alton probably already knew this. If anything, by holding this poll they are confirming it to be the best thing they have done and perhaps indicate that it is clearly the direction they want to return to? (As Joey said)

To a degree, the fact that they could even pull of a publicity piece like this is a testament to the parks popularity. A far smaller park could the same and get very little in the way of public response. The huge response Alton have had goes to show how well known they are as are their attractions.

Of course, the strange voting system has lent itself towards enthusiasts voting for their favourite over and over.

Well enthusiasts are part of the GP and the people this is aimed at. It's not a "people who don't know loads about rides" only, and it's not as if people are unable to appriciate a great ride, I've seen ALOT of appriciation for Nemesis from people who wouldn't call themselves enthusiasts. It's obviously shown that Nemesis has a huge fanbase.

Thirteen and Rita didn't do well at all throughout the voting. It was always Nemesis up front, Oblivion and Air around the 20%s and Thirteen and Rita fighting to get over 10%.

Anyone notice this?

1.)Nemesis - B+M
2.)Oblivion - B+M
3.)Air - B+M
4.)Th13teen - Intamin AG
5.)Rita - Intamin AG

Looks like B+M are the real kings...

I'm surprised Rita came last, I expected it to beat th13teen. Anyway, last time that I went on Rita it was...smooth and didn't break down once!

Yeah, Alton know what they want to win, and how to swing it so they get what they want. It happened when Rita won in 2005, and it has happened again here...

Not that Nemesis probably wouldn't win a fair vote anyway, because it IS by far their most iconic ride, but, still...

Pretty much what has already been said, but...

My opinion is that the marketing team produced this competition to advertise new rides. They knew who would win before they started, but they made sure Nemesis would definately win by creating a system that encouraged the people who really care to sway the results. They wanted to draw attention to Nemesis... Why? To revitalise interest in it? Or something more? The other thing they seem to be doing is making the GP aware of the differences between the rides in order to make "brands" out of them. We already see them as such, convincing the GP to do the same must encourage spending on merchandise, discussion about the rides by name which is good advertisement... I wonder what else? And does this mean merchandising will improve further?