What's new

Coasters you can't believe people love

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Phoenix is amazing I got 9 rides a couple years ago and it was a instant top 10 for me. Same with Millennium being my favorite steel coaster.

I am also in the boat with Skyrush due to my history with it. I had issues with Magnum when I was at CP. I rode it twice in two different spots and still found it pretty bad hopefully that will change in June.

Also this goes without saying but if anyone likes a boomerang or a SLC please tell me how thats physically possible?

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
I305- There's a possibility I'd like it better in the front or back rows (aka the correct rows), but the fact it has OTSR's and a trim are both huge, huge mistakes.

Nitro- The entire ride is about 15-20mph too slow. No forces at all.

Kittyhat

Roller Poster
Iron Rattler: Yes, I will admit it has one of the best zero-g rolls ever, and the quarry drop is incredible in the back half of the train, but the pacing was wonky as hell, it's a very short ride that wastes a ton of speed, the first drop was remarkably forceless for being so steep, the final two overbanks are incredibly boring, and any of the moments of airtime are over far to quickly to enjoy them. I'm in a huge minority when I say I actually prefer Poltergeist and Krypton Coaster over Iron Rattler.

Goliath (SFMM): Fun first drop, amazing floater hill. The rest of the ride is pointlessly forceful trash. I mean, sustaining 5 gs for over 4 solid seconds? With no OTSRs? My back didn't enjoy this at all, and I'm not even old. Plus the MCBR absolutely destroys the pacing.

Journey To Atlantis (SWSD): Bumpy, inconsistent theming, horrible pacing, coaster section is forceless and short, crap capacity, poorly designed seats to have all the water pool around your junk, and it just looks ugly as hell. Only redeeming part was the first drop.

Xcelerator/Top Thrill Dragster: Both are fairly fun rides. Overrated as hell though, and for the same reasons. Both are bumpy, and have nothing to offer but a great launch, great top hat, and a painful brake run. Xcelerator's overbanks are just fluff padding the time out until the end, and add absolutely nothing to the ride but an extra 8 seconds.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Someone in my class likes Mind Eraser at SFA. I'm not kidding.

.....what.....

Chris Coasters said:
Phoenix is amazing I got 9 rides a couple years ago and it was a instant top 10 for me. Same with Millennium being my favorite steel coaster.

Yeah it was amazing, I knew it was famous for its airtime and I still was taken by surprise! I was lucky to get ERT, and at one point they ran the train through for 2 in a row! Was an amazing experience.
Wow, I'm not alone in liking MForce!! You are my friend now :lol:

Never ridden Iron Rattler, and I know we can't always judge from POVs but that one did seem like a great first half, but pittles out hardcore. Especially after seeing various videos of the actual riders in it, I could tell it really was moving a bit slow and the airtime was brief over the second half. Shame, it's one of the most visually stunning there is.

josiejolie

Roller Poster
For me the first coaster was Tornado @Hellendoorn NL. The first time i rode it was an eyeopener rollercoasters were fun!

But every time i went after the first visit never delivered really. By the third visit i thought it was rough and sketchy.

Same goes for the Vekoma SLC @ Walibi Holland. Same story as above, today i prefer not to ride it.

Looking forward to ride Baron 1898 @ Efteling. And im saving for a trip to the US for some serious coaster hoarding :D.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I don't understand all the love for El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure. Sure, the first drop is brilliant, but the rest is just a complete blur of painful forces. In fact, it's so relentless that it doesn't have that 'wooden' feel at all - which kind of eliminates the point for me.

Also: Goliath at Walibi Holland. Not a bad coaster by any means, but I don't see why it's in people's top 10's. The sluggish helixes are gross and the whole ride just feels bland (despite some quality ejector.)

Alpengeist is one that comes to mind almost immediately. I didn't find it any better than any other average inverted coaster out there, and people seem to love the thing. Katun is another bigger inverted coaster that I don't really understand the love for, but I liked it better than Alpengeist.

Grand National is one that never really stood out for me either. I know it probably might come down to a nostalgia thing, but I basically completely forget my ride experience, meaning it didn't stand out at all.

Last but not least (for now) is Raven at Holiday World. I have been on it a few times thinking maybe it would grow on me or that maybe I missed something, but it just didn't wow me like I initially thought it would. Very short and not that much to it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It was a while ago but my head was a pinball within the OTSR on the B&M sit-down/floorless coasters in Florida. The only other time I experienced this was with Saw and no one seems to rate that mutt :(
Kraken and IH (apart from its launch into the zero-G roll) were just fruitless. Kumba was definitely better but still...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Chris Coasters said:
Also this goes without saying but if anyone likes a boomerang or a SLC please tell me how thats physically possible?

John, somebody requires an explanation!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I liked the boomerang at Wiener Prater thanks to having only lap bars.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
When it comes to Boomerang's and SLC's, some are really bad, but others are fine and the occasional few are actually quite good IMO. For example, Kumali runs very gracefully and although it's a bit on short and slightly forceless side, it is a very enjoyable coaster. I also enjoyed Blue Tornado and Infusion and the SLC at Walibi Belgium are okay. Speed of Sound is great for a boomerang and I've ridden a couple of other okay ones. I doubt many people love either of them, but there not all terrible.

Kebab

Giga Poster
The Swarm. Its a decent coaster but I can't understand how people class it as outstanding. I found the layout really underwhelming and relatively forceless, the theming and first drop however are fantastic. Other than that I'm lost for words to say about The Swarm, it just seems like a boring coaster. Saw is poor at the best of times, but at least it seems to stand out in some way or another.

I'd still rate it around 7/10 for the theming, trains and smoothness of the experience, but I do find it genuinely bland.

peep

CF Legend
I was waiting for someone to mention Boomerangs lol. So here I am. I don't think they're as dreadful as people think. If we didn't ride so many of them and more were kept in a good state more people would be like me. I don't think they're amazing but I think what they achieve in such a small space is great and the loops are good. Obviously there are some which are totally dire but generally they're good.

SLCs are all dreadful apart from the one at Walibi Belgium because somehow the park worked some magic and made it ok and not a violent mess.

I don't understand the love for ultimate or blackpool creds. Why do people like coasters that leave them with headaches and/or bruises?

Also El Toro is poop. There are loads of others I can't be bothered to put down right now too, meh.

Snoo

The Legend
njn63 said:
Maverick - Too high of a level of ejector and twisting turns. I get that people that have ridden 500+ coasters probably treasure that as it stands out but I'm just not a fan.

Makes sense though as my top coaster is still Millennium Force and a lot of people will disagree with that. cool)

Twas once mine as well. :)

MF typically gets hate from those who've ridden more. I do know those who have been on 600+ that still have MF as their #1. I just overrode it tbh. Of course, it is one of, if not my favorite drop on a coaster to be fair.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
The thing with MForce for me is, it's pure ridability. Still glass smooth and I could ride it 15 times in a row without an issue. I know some will joke "Yeah that's because it's Millennium Forceless!" but, I've seen many people, often ones who will bash MF, note how I305, Skyrush, Maverick, some woodies are "too much", and they can't do more than a few rides. So that's where I get confused, those rides thrash you around/hurt your shoulder/are too intense to be ridden more than a couple of times but then MForce is too lame? LOL It's smooth, unrelenting, the layout does enough to not be boring, and it's not ejector or tons of it but there is decent airtime on it.

And Snoo has a good point about the drop, 80 degrees may be the perfect angle, you still feel it (which is sick on a drop that big) but it's still very intense. Opposed to Skyrush or I305 which is like: You're at the top, now you're at the bottom, feels like you warped there.

As for a coaster people love (though it seems to be slipping in recent years) Bizarro at SFNE. I liked it tons, but maybe I just waited too long to ride it lol It didn't have much ejector and I didn't find it very forceful going through the all those turns. Maybe it was because I've done El Toro, Skyrush and 305 already so what used to be a very intense crazy ride just didn't seem much so to me by then.

TilenB

Strata Poster
gavin said:
I liked the boomerang at Wiener Prater thanks to having only lap bars.

You have my signature on that one! Compared to it, even the Speed of Sound, which is generally classed as one of the best boomerangs out there, feels bad. Okay, it wasn't a bad and dreadful experiences as all the SLCs I've endured were (Blue Tornado, Infusion and the dreadful Condor), but I could hardly class it as good either. But the legend goes that there is a good SLC somewhere far, far away (Thailand, if I'm not mistaken)

ignace

Mega Poster
Speed of Sound is for me the worst boomerang out there, and Wiener Prater the best. Simply amazing how a boomerang can be that good.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I305. I guess people who just love intense forces could enjoy it, but all I got off of it with was a headache. I just can't love a ride that made me black out. Also, Kingda Ka. This is more general public obsession, but I don't enjoy a ride that vibrates at 128 mph. Plus, the launch wasn't nearly as good as I was hoping.