What's new

Coasters that intrigue you

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I think Olympia, Thriller and Jetline intrigue me. All very compact Schwarzkopf's. I've ridden Mindbender at Galaxyland and that is my #5 overall, sooooo...

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Steel Dolphin, Icon, Wild West Mine Train (Ocean Park), Tron, Muntanya Rusa (Tibidabo), Superman Escape (WBMW), Il Tempo Extra Gigante (Hunderfossen), Wild Train (Fantasiana), Hyper Coaster (Land of Lgends), Anaconda (GRC)

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Steel Dolphin, Icon, Wild West Mine Train (Ocean Park), Tron, Muntanya Rusa (Tibidabo), Superman Escape (WBMW), Il Tempo Extra Gigante (Hunderfossen), Wild Train (Fantasiana), Hyper Coaster (Land of Lgends), Anaconda (GRC)

Steel Dolphin looks like a family take on Intamin's Blitz concept. I guess it must ride similar to Mack's Manta.

As for Muntanya Russa, I know the ride inside out, since I saw it being constructed, got to be in the opening crew and basically spent hundreds of hours there. If you need to know anything, just PM me.

Matt N

CF Legend
As the topic's been bumped and I've recently watched a couple of vlogs from SFMM, I thought of two more coasters that intrigue me:
  • Twisted Colossus - An RMC that seems to divide opinion; I never seem to hear it get reviewed very positively compared to other RMCs on here, but elsewhere on the internet, it seems to get rated really highly; on Captain Coaster, for example, it's rated #4 in the world! I hear a lot of people say it has insane ejector (some even say the airtime is stronger than Steel Vengeance), but it definitely seems to be one that divides opinion.
  • Full Throttle - Again, Full Throttle is a coaster that seems to divide opinion, as I never see much love for it on here, but I've heard quite a few people say it's in SFMM's top 3! I'd be interested to know; what is it that people seem to like so much about it, as I never think it looks to be anything particularly outstanding (Well, it looks like a really fun ride, don't get me wrong, but there are many coasters at SFMM that excite me more.)?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Twisted is the worst RMC of the 9 I've been on. It's also the only one I *didn't* like.
I actually thought Full Throttle was fun, in a dumb way. I wouldn't wait in line for it but if it was a walk on, I'd give it another go. The giant loop is fun but the rest is...meh...and the stop/reverse kills the flow. Also crappy trains/station setup/queue ......It is so incredibly cheap feeling.

Matt N

CF Legend
Twisted is the worst RMC of the 9 I've been on. It's also the only one I *didn't* like.
I actually thought Full Throttle was fun, in a dumb way. I wouldn't wait in line for it but if it was a walk on, I'd give it another go. The giant loop is fun but the rest is...meh...and the stop/reverse kills the flow. Also crappy trains/station setup/queue ......It is so incredibly cheap feeling.
Thanks for the opinion @CanobieFan! But I would be interested to know; why didn't you like Twisted Colossus? I've heard enthusiasts who say they were disappointed, but I've never heard any enthusiasts say that they flat out didn't like it; come to think of it, that phrase goes for any RMC!

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Isn't the whole park cheap feeling?
Like...
maxresdefault.jpg

vs
maxresdefault.jpg

then
1200px-SFMM-_Twisted_Colossus.jpg

vs
Iron_Rattler-5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

vs
Screenshot 2019-02-02 at 10.44.11 AM.png

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Full Throttle - Again, Full Throttle is a coaster that seems to divide opinion, as I never see much love for it on here, but I've heard quite a few people say it's in SFMM's top 3! I'd be interested to know; what is it that people seem to like so much about it, as I never think it looks to be anything particularly outstanding (Well, it looks like a really fun ride, don't get me wrong, but there are many coasters at SFMM that excite me more.)?
For me it just had more of that rarity factor amongst the park lineup. How many Premier Launchers are there with 'good' trains and 'good' layouts out there?
If you've already done other things that cover the big 'exciting' stuff at SFMM (better 4Ds, dumb backwards things, better B&Ms) then it stands out more as a fun and unique experience.

Matt N

CF Legend
For me it just had more of that rarity factor amongst the park lineup. How many Premier Launchers are there with 'good' trains and 'good' layouts out there?
If you've already done other things that cover the big 'exciting' stuff at SFMM (better 4Ds, dumb backwards things, better B&Ms) then it stands out more as a fun and unique experience.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification @HeartlineCoaster!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

It's a basic Arrow loopscrew on paper, but I'm intrigued as this one has smoother looking transitions and many features of late Arrow designs. The curved crossties, support style and aforementioned banking reminds me of Tennessee Tornado.

Built in 1995 and I wonder how much input Alan Schilke had in it. I remember he claimed in an old interview the first coaster he ''truly" designed was the Road Runner Express though

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
After riding a similar ride and having a look at some people's top coaster lists, I have another one that intrigues me greatly:
  • Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land - Now, I always thought that Roar-O-Saurus looked like a perfectly fun junior woodie having not ridden it; Gravity Group build some brilliant compact coasters, and they are known for their fantastic junior woodies. However, I often see it ranked very highly; I even see some who rank it ahead of rides like Taron, Lightning Rod, Skyrush and my personal favourite Mako. My question is; what does everyone like so much about it considering it's a junior woodie? Admittedly, I haven't ridden Roar-O-Saurus, but I have ridden Mine Blower at Fun Spot Kissimmee, a larger Gravity Group coaster with a similar style of layout. Now don't get me wrong, I really liked Mine Blower; it's my personal favourite wooden coaster and it had some great moments of airtime considering its size! However, I personally wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as the likes of Mako and Montu, which I often see ranked below Roar-O-Saurus. It might be because I don't have the acquired taste for wooden coasters that some on this site do, but that's why Roar-O-Saurus intrigues me.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Pencil me in as a Full Throttle defender. Fun ride! Yeah OK I wouldnt wanna wait tooo long for it, but if you can ever grab it on a slow day (or ERT event) to marathon it is very easy and fun as hell. The stop and reverse part yeah guess it kills the speed but also lengthens the ride (imagine the griping if it went straight through!) and gives some wild hang time in back.

I am intrigued by Cannibal. Such a VERY beyond vertical drop and over 200 feet!? I really wonder what that feels like, and honestly the whole ride really intrigues me, not sure why since I fear it may be kind of forceless and slow after the MCBR but it just has my attention.

I will agree with Iron Rattler. The first half looks absolutely bonkers. But the whole meandering on the quarry wall seems...weird. And slow. BUT cant judge a coaster by its POV always and being RMC there could be some interesting feelings in that part. I deff wanna try it, and it intrigues me perhaps more than any other RMC only because I have experienced alot of what RMC currently offers, but Iron Rattler seems quite unique.

Hutch

Strata Poster
After riding a similar ride and having a look at some people's top coaster lists, I have another one that intrigues me greatly:
  • Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land - Now, I always thought that Roar-O-Saurus looked like a perfectly fun junior woodie having not ridden it; Gravity Group build some brilliant compact coasters, and they are known for their fantastic junior woodies. However, I often see it ranked very highly; I even see some who rank it ahead of rides like Taron, Lightning Rod, Skyrush and my personal favourite Mako. My question is; what does everyone like so much about it considering it's a junior woodie? Admittedly, I haven't ridden Roar-O-Saurus, but I have ridden Mine Blower at Fun Spot Kissimmee, a larger Gravity Group coaster with a similar style of layout. Now don't get me wrong, I really liked Mine Blower; it's my personal favourite wooden coaster and it had some great moments of airtime considering its size! However, I personally wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as the likes of Mako and Montu, which I often see ranked below Roar-O-Saurus. It might be because I don't have the acquired taste for wooden coasters that some on this site do, but that's why Roar-O-Saurus intrigues me.
Ahh, Whore-o-Saurus is so good.

I had a pretty chill few hours at Story Land back when that ride opened. I made an effort to actually check out the entire park and even do some of the other rides I wouldn't normally do, but halfway through I was like "screw it" and just cycled RoS for an hour and a half. Got over dozen rides on that thing. It's smooth, has legit ejector airtime, trains are great, and just doesn't let up until the brakes. The only other GG family woodie I've done is Wooden Warrior, but RoS is in another league. Considering it's size and the airtime it provides, it's honestly better than most coasters out there. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. I easily prefer it over all the GCI's I've done as well.

I don't have it in my Top 30 anymore but if my rankings went beyond that it'd definitely be in the Top 40.

Man, reminiscing about this ride just makes me even more excited for Kentucky Flyer. :D

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
@Matt N you are on the right track. Roar-O-Saurus is epic! Just keeps getting better and better throughout the layout and the airtime at the end is bloody ridiculous. Unbelievable how such a small coaster can pack a punch like that.

I agree with everything @Hutch says really, including it being in another league compared to other mini GGs like Wooden Warrior. I would say the one at Parc Saint Paul comes the closest in terms of that amazing airtime, but it’s still not quite RoS level. It’s my 6th favourite woodie and ranked #31 overall in my list so it can absolutely take and beat most of the big guys out there. I’m not saying you’d prefer it to all of Taron, Lightning Rod, Skyrush and Mako (that sounds a bit mad, who would do that? *looks shamefully in the mirror* :p) but it’s absolutely one to be intrigued by!

I am personally very intrigued by Eejanaika and Dinoconda. Curious how they might better X2, which is undoubtedly one of my favourite coaster experiences. I’ll stop there as otherwise I’ll end up listing quite a lot hah.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Temple Of The Nighthawk is a coaster that has always intrigued me, as well as the Hollywood Tour ride. I didn't get time to do either when I visited Phantasialand in 2006 and I was kind of gutted. I'm curious as to how people rate it so poorly because on paper a really long coaster in the dark sounds quite fun.

Efan

Mega Poster
Temple Of The Nighthawk is a coaster that has always intrigued me, as well as the Hollywood Tour ride. I didn't get time to do either when I visited Phantasialand in 2006 and I was kind of gutted. I'm curious as to how people rate it so poorly because on paper a really long coaster in the dark sounds quite fun.
To be honest, for me, it wasn't terrible. Just extremely boring. It did absolutely nothing.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I like TOTNH because it's chill and relaxing haha. Very few people seem to agree though. Rumours have been circling for a few seasons that it might be on the chopping block so better get on it whilst you can if you can.

On topic, probably X2, no explanation needed really.