What's new

Coasters that intrigue you

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if a thread like this already exists or if this is a slightly strange question, but I made this thread to ask if there are any coasters that intrigue you. Not necessarily excite you, but intrigue you. I know this might seem like a slightly strange question, but I'll get the ball rolling with some of the coasters that intrigue me:
  • Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom - I will actually get to ride Space Mountain for myself in April 2019, so I'll be able to form my own opinions of it after that, but I must admit that these two enclosed Arrow coasters rather intrigue me. You might be wondering why; the reason why these coasters intrigue me is because despite the stats not implying much, I have seen some rather high ratings of the ride. I've seen it in plenty of top 10s and 20s of people who've ridden a fair amount of coasters, and Robb Alvey even said that it and Big Thunder Mountain have better airtime than any B&M hyper he's ridden, which makes me very excited to ride the two Arrows at Magic Kingdom next year! From a non-rider's perspective, I don't see why people like it so much, but I'm open to surprises next April!
  • Wild Mouse at Blackpool Pleasure Beach - I know Wild Mouse is gone now, but it intrigues me for similar reasons that Space Mountain intrigues me in that its stats and layout didn't imply much, but the ride got rave reviews from almost everyone who rode it! Even though Blackpool probably had very valid reasons for removing Wild Mouse, I must admit that I am slightly sad that I was unable to experience it in August. Although saying that, I'm not sure if I would have liked it going off of rider reports...
  • Phoenix at Knoebels - Phoenix intrigues me because again, it doesn't look up to much from a non-rider's perspective, but it seems to get rave reviews. In fact, I believe it has even been ranked as the world's best wooden rollercoaster in the GTAs within the last couple of years, which is definitely an indicator of its popularity. However, I actually think that the family Gravity Group coasters look better from a non-rider's perspective, yet they don't seem to get anywhere near the same praise as Phoenix gets! I know that it has buzz bars, but Blue Flyer at BPB apparently also has buzz bars and I don't remember feeling any insane airtime on that, so I'm intrigued as to why Phoenix has so much airtime and why people like it so much.
So, what rides intrigue you guys?

Pear

Strata Poster
Phoenix at Knoebels - Phoenix intrigues me because again, it doesn't look up to much from a non-rider's perspective, but it seems to get rave reviews. In fact, I believe it has even been ranked as the world's best wooden rollercoaster in the GTAs within the last couple of years, which is definitely an indicator of its popularity. However, I actually think that the family Gravity Group coasters look better from a non-rider's perspective, yet they don't seem to get anywhere near the same praise as Phoenix gets! I know that it has buzz bars, but Blue Flyer at BPB apparently also has buzz bars and I don't remember feeling any insane airtime on that, so I'm intrigued as to why Phoenix has so much airtime and why people like it so much.

It's a good ride but very overhyped. The airtime with the buzzbars is really fun but there are much better wooden coasters out there.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom - I will actually get to ride Space Mountain for myself in April 2019, so I'll be able to form my own opinions of it after that, but I must admit that these two enclosed Arrow coasters rather intrigue me. You might be wondering why; the reason why these coasters intrigue me is because despite the stats not implying much, I have seen some rather high ratings of the ride. I've seen it in plenty of top 10s and 20s of people who've ridden a fair amount of coasters, and Robb Alvey even said that it and Big Thunder Mountain have better airtime than any B&M hyper he's ridden, which makes me very excited to ride the two Arrows at Magic Kingdom next year! From a non-rider's perspective, I don't see why people like it so much, but I'm open to surprises next April!

I may try and bring your expectations down a bit. I have it in my top 15, but that's mainly for nostalgic reasons. Don't get me wrong; I love love love the ride. But I think you'll enjoy it best if you go into it not expecting much. As for Alvey saying it and BTMR have more airtime than any B&M Hyper, SM has some great ejector (imo) and BT has a pop or two, but that's ridiculous. Neither ride is Mako. The airtime in SM works because you don't know when it's coming.

As for me, tons of rides intrigue me, but a lot of those intrigue because they look so good. So here's my list of coasters that don't seem among the best of the best but I'm still dying to ride.

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain: Go ahead and add Cornball Express in here too, though for very different reasons. Lost Coaster looks rough, weird, out of control, and absolutely insane. God I want to ride it. Cornball just looks quality and has buzz bars which is a deadly combination.
Space Fantasy: It looks like one of the best themed indoor rides, and I have a soft spot for those.
Tower of Terror: I don't even know if it looks good or not, but that's a lot of G-forces. Add in Anaconda too but only because it looks **** amazing.
Ultimate: Looks rough, weird, long, and possibly awful. God I want to ride it.
Cyclops: Obviously Hades 360 looks infinitely better, but this has that famous drop. I really wanna try that drop.
Dragon Gliders: Similar to Space Fantasy in it looks really well themed.
Gravity Max: I've played too much RCT3 not to wanna try a Tilt Coaster in real life.
Superman Escape: It looks to be the less impressive next to DC Rivals, but I always thought it looked among the best Intamin launchers.

Matt N

CF Legend
It's a good ride but very overhyped. The airtime with the buzzbars is really fun but there are much better wooden coasters out there.
I may try and bring your expectations down a bit. I have it in my top 15, but that's mainly for nostalgic reasons. Don't get me wrong; I love love love the ride. But I think you'll enjoy it best if you go into it not expecting much. As for Alvey saying it and BTMR have more airtime than any B&M Hyper, SM has some great ejector (imo) and BT has a pop or two, but that's ridiculous. Neither ride is Mako. The airtime in SM works because you don't know when it's coming.
Ah right, so both of them are rides best enjoyed if you go in with low expectations. Thanks for the clarification, guys!
Please don't go to Disney World. Or Universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not, out of interest? My family has booked WDW tickets for 14 days, so it'll be quite hard not to go to Disney, but I'm not going to Universal on this trip. I'm not criticising you at all, I'm just wondering why you don't want me to go to Disney or Universal.

Pear

Strata Poster
The airtime is the point. That's all that ride does. If you don't like airtime machines, then yeah.. :p
I still like the ride and I enjoyed all my rides on it, but it's no where close to a top 10 or even 20 for me.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ah right, so both of them are rides best enjoyed if you go in with low expectations. Thanks for the clarification, guys!

Why not, out of interest? My family has booked WDW tickets for 14 days, so it'll be quite hard not to go to Disney, but I'm not going to Universal on this trip. I'm not criticising you at all, I'm just wondering why you don't want me to go to Disney or Universal.
Are you going to Busch Gardens and SeaWorld? I haven't been to Florida since I was in Year 6 (around 2013) so I have been unable to ride he likes of Mako, so I have to say I'm jealous. ;)

Heck we even drove past FSO several times and I was gutted my parents refused to stop there.

Matt N

CF Legend
Are you going to Busch Gardens and SeaWorld? I haven't been to Florida since I was in Year 6 (around 2013) so I have been unable to ride he likes of Mako, so I have to say I'm jealous. ;)

Heck we even drove past FSO several times and I was gutted my parents refused to stop there.
We've only booked Disney for this trip, but after some discussion with my parents, there is a very slim chance that I might be able to return to SeaWorld and reride Mako (as well as Kraken and Manta) and experience the likes of Infinity Falls for the first time.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Ignore it Matt, he's just posting for a reaction, you're above that! Hope you have a great time at WDW and I'm sure you'll love Space Mountain :)

Matt N

CF Legend
Ignore it Matt, he's just posting for a reaction, you're above that! Hope you have a great time at WDW and I'm sure you'll love Space Mountain :)
Thank you @Ethan; I'm sure I'll love WDW! It'll be my first visit to Animal Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon in 5 years, my first visit to Epcot since becoming an enthusiast and my first time ever at Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Blizzard Beach!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Drachen Fire at BGW will always be a roller coaster that intrigues me, as it was such an aggressively forward looking roller coaster that failed in so many ways (not to mention one of Ron Toomer's last coasters). Taking a look at Drachen Fire as a part of Arrow's broader portfolio - there are a number of Arrow's early 90s coasters met fatefully early demise: Eagle Fortress, Drachen Fire, Hayabusa, Shockwave. It's really a moment of Arrow losing grip on the coaster market - trying to still assert dominance but eventually losing business to B&M, Intamin, and others that crowded the market by the beginning of the 2000s.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Drachen Fire at BGW will always be a roller coaster that intrigues me, as it was such an aggressively forward looking roller coaster that failed in so many ways (not to mention one of Ron Toomer's last coasters). Taking a look at Drachen Fire as a part of Arrow's broader portfolio - there are a number of Arrow's early 90s coasters met fatefully early demise: Eagle Fortress, Drachen Fire, Hayabusa, Shockwave. It's really a moment of Arrow losing grip on the coaster market - trying to still assert dominance but eventually losing business to B&M, Intamin, and others that crowded the market by the beginning of the 2000s.

Agreed with all that old arrow stuff and would like to include X2 (ok arrow and S&S bla bla) as a coaster that really intrigues me. The closest I've done to it is the joker ones (sfgadv, sfne and they were gross) but I still think it probably doesn't compare to much else, except to the other 4Ds.

Not sure which other ones still intrigue me, maybe like Cannibal? Probably some others but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Sandman

Giga Poster
The drop on Nitro at Adlabs Imagica has always intrigued me. It just looks a bit strange, particularly for B&M. Fairly steep, yet the curve doesn't start until quite late in, would be interesting to experience on back row.

800px-Adlabs_Imagica_2013_%2810364145606%29.jpg

Nitro_(Adlabs_Imagica)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Until this past summer... I'd say the only US ride left for me that intrigued me was Ice Mountain Bobsled at Enchanted Forest... But I got to it in August and it was delightful.

For rides that are gone.. I always wished I could have ridden Flashback at Magic Mountain. Mainly to see if it really was as bad as people made it seem.. and because it looked like it *could* have been a fun ride. Would love to see B&M make a modern version of it. haha. Maybe also Viper at Great Adventure, again just to see if it was truly as bad as people said. I saw it closed, never got to ride it.

For rides I've not ridden I'd probably put Bandit at Yomiuriland first. Since I first saw a photo of it in a book in the 90's and later on in a Japanese Coaster VHS I got a hold of (all filmed in 1989) it just looked so.. epic.. and at the time the idea of being able to travel somewhere so far away/exotic seemed so out of reach. I'd also be down for getting the chance to ride any of the Togo Ultra Twister coasters, again, having seen a pile of one at Six Flags America... but never seeing one operational.
And I guess I'll give a shout out to Switchback at ZDT'S as its my most sought after US ride.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Beef Curtain (or whatever it's called) is surely one of the most intriguing projects around at the moment. It has the potential to be both awesome and awful in equal measure.
And also, that new Vekoma contraption in Germany. You know, the one with the wall...