What's new

CoasterBot Poll - 2022 Open

Skyye

Mega Poster
Could only put in a top 15, but even after 10 it gets hard to rank things IMO. I'm not usually a person to rank things so I might stick to 10 after this year.

coasterbot

Roller Poster
Could only put in a top 15, but even after 10 it gets hard to rank things IMO. I'm not usually a person to rank things so I might stick to 10 after this year.
If you find it hard to rank, perhaps consider using groups to rank rides in batches. You could have a top 10, then groups of 5 or 10 coasters after that. It's hard to say which individual coasters are better than others, but it's easier to put them in small groups based on quality and rank those instead.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Without thinking about it too much - does the outcome of ‘matched ranking’ inherently favour the views of (a) people who have ridden more coasters and (b) those that choose to rank more coasters?

Edit - I mean, I can’t think of any better way of doing it…. I’d be curious to see how capping the lists to, say, top 10/15/25 only changes things.

Last edited:

coasterbot

Roller Poster
Without thinking about it too much - does the outcome of ‘matched ranking’ inherently favour the views of (a) people who have ridden more coasters and (b) those that choose to rank more coasters?

Edit - I mean, I can’t think of any better way of doing it…. I’d be curious to see how capping the lists to, say, top 10/15/25 only changes things.

The more rides you rank the more of an influence you have on the poll because your opinions are matched against a larger combination of roller coasters.

With that being said, each person states their preference for two rides. If you're just one of 50 people with that combination your impact is less. To maximise your impact you'd want to rank as many of the roller coasters as you've ridden as possible, including all of your most obscure credits.

Capping lists could help in some ways but it would drastically reduce the sample and number of matches for less popular and mainstream rides. It's a balancing act I guess

Peet

Giga Poster
Got my entry in, for what it's worth my method was:
- Top 20, ranked properly
- "Great" group (25 coasters)
- "Good" group (about 40 coasters)
- "Okay" group (about 60 coasters)
- "Not terrible" group (woah - about 170 coasters!)
- "Terrible" group (only Tulireki, Viking and Typhoon)

It was definitely the easiest poll entry system I've used, although there were a couple of bugs. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Enthusiasts; Thousands of different, diverse people who have opinionated rankings of a wide variety of coasters from around the world

Also Enthusiasts;
View attachment 15012
Are you surprised?

RMC make up 5 of the top 10... Every single coaster in the top 25 has really good air time... You'd think park's would learn by now... Looking at you UK!

Also, don't forget, youtubers like Coasterbot appeal to a lot more than just full on enthusiasts... So this is reflective of the GP too, to some extent.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Enthusiasts; Thousands of different, diverse people who have opinionated rankings of a wide variety of coasters from around the world

Also Enthusiasts;
View attachment 15012
I think what's strange about this is that El Toro is still anywhere near the Top 20. It was incredible for it's time, but it's got nothing on modern coasters. Honestly quite surprised VelociCoaster didn't pip it to a podium position.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think what's strange about this is that El Toro is still anywhere near the Top 20. It was incredible for it's time, but it's got nothing on modern coasters. Honestly quite surprised VelociCoaster didn't pip it to a podium position.
I think Velocicoaster will probably do better in future years... Newer rides in the last few years tend to have risen, whilst older rides tend to have dropped...

@coasterbot Might be a good idea to include an indication of how they've risen or fallen in the results next year...

For this year, I've taken the liberty to quickly knock up this one for the top 25, hope you don't mind?

So new rides entering the top 25 for the first time are Velocicoaster, Kondaa and of course RTH!

The biggest losers are Outlaw Run falling 7 places!!! as well as Shambhala and Expedition GeForce both falling 5 places... A big surprise to some might be Taron as the 4th biggest loser... It dropped 4 places (It actually went UP in my list this year compared to last!!!)

The biggest year on year gainers in the top 25 are Taiga, rising 5 places, Hakugei rising 4 places, and Hyperion rising 3 places.

Please remember to go and visit https://coasterbot.com/votecoasters-results2021 for the full results including 1311 rollercoasters!!! As well as lots of other statistical breakdowns...

But here you go with the biggest winners and losers from the top 25...

Ranks.jpg

(@coasterbot I appreciate you may not want me posting the results here like this, so if that's the case just drop me a message and I'll delete the images and just keep the analysis part of the post :) )

Will

Strata Poster
I perhaps shouldn't be, but given what I'm assuming is the primary audience, I'm surprised by the shortage of UK coasters there.

Having to keep scrolling to find Nemesis?

427993.jpg

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
That top 50 is chock full of damn solid rides, no doubt about that. I think Nemesis has a pretty good showing cracking the top 50.

The only one that I think is worthy of shunting significantly (in that 50) is Taron, which is good but doesn't feel 'elite' to me.

Edit: Taron is relatively unique I suppose. If I had ridden dozens and dozens of hypers and all the RMCs etc, perhaps I would be more wowed by Taron's approach. Having ridden less coasters, I'm less wowed by it's uniqueness, instead being inherently more impressed by the raw bombastic thrills I can get elsewhere.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That top 50 is chock full of damn solid rides, no doubt about that. I think Nemesis has a pretty good showing cracking the top 50.

The only one that I think is worthy of shunting significantly (in that 50) is Taron, which is good but doesn't feel 'elite' to me.

Edit: Taron is relatively unique I suppose. If I had ridden dozens and dozens of hypers and all the RMCs etc, perhaps I would be more wowed by Taron's approach. Having ridden less coasters, I'm less wowed by it's uniqueness, instead being inherently more impressed by the raw bombastic thrills I can get elsewhere.
Out of interest, regarding Taron not being Elite... What are your thoughts on Taiga and Helix being in there then? Especially Taiga?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Glad to see Velocicoaster, Kondaa and RTH doing well. I think they'll rise even more next year. Although I'm not generally a huge RMC fan Zadra is my favourite (above SteVe) and deserves the praise that it's finally getting. I'll be interested to see when Steel Vengeance leaves the top spot. I'm thinking maybe next year when the aforementioned new coasters rise a bit more. I'll also be interested to see how Grona's Monster rates given that hardly anyone outside of Sweden has ridden it so far.

So much Taron hate suddenly on the forum these past few days. 😂 Taron rates well with people because it's just a really fun time. It's less "raw thrill" and more "refined thrill" I think. I always come off with a smile. Helix is another example of this I think. I find Helix a bit slow but I can totally see how people love it for the experience, it's just an all-round super re-rideable, fun time.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Helix>Nemesis>Taron :p

(Yes, I write with tongue in cheek, but just because I should be grown up enough to not care when the internet disagrees with me doesn't mean I am ;) )

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Out of interest, regarding Taron not being Elite... What are your thoughts on Taiga and Helix being in there then? Especially Taiga?

I don’t have strong views on either of those as I haven’t ridden them, but I appreciate they are supposed to be good. I expect to personally rate Helix slightly higher than Taron and then Taiga somewhere around Taron (depending on whether it’s more like Lech or Abyssus - different manufacturer of course but if you’ve done both, which I think you have, you’ll know what I’m getting at).

As I said, I think at this stage in my experience I’m heavily drawn to extreme bombast and a raw pop of aggression/thrill will trump a longer, meandering ride.

I do still rank Taron far higher than, say, Abyssus, so I’m not lumping them all together. I do think Abyssus’s placement at 139 is pretty generous…

I have high hopes for Velocicoaster.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I don’t have strong views on either of those as I haven’t ridden them, but I appreciate they are supposed to be good. I expect to personally rate Helix slightly higher than Taron and then Taiga somewhere around Taron (depending on whether it’s more like Lech or Abyssus - different manufacturer of course but if you’ve done both, which I think you have, you’ll know what I’m getting at).

As I said, I think at this stage in my experience I’m heavily drawn to extreme bombast and a raw pop of aggression/thrill will trump a longer, meandering ride.

I do still rank Taron far higher than, say, Abyssus, so I’m not lumping them all together. I do think Abyssus’s placement at 139 is pretty generous…

I have high hopes for Velocicoaster.
Fair enough.

I get what you're saying about Lech and Abyssus... Abyssus 'looks' like it should be an amazing bigger brother to Lech, when in actuality, it only just about manages to improve on Formula. Though it is growing on me.

I was disappointed with Helix. I know that is going to sound odd as I still rate it highly, it is a very good ride. But my initial reaction upon first riding it, after having already done Taron, and from what others had said expecting it to potentially beat it, was shear disappointment. I was suffering from inflated expectations, and day 2 was much much better, I'd accepted it was no Taron beater (for me) but was still a bloody good ride.

Thankfully, Balder was an unexpected win that trip. Was not expecting to enjoy that so much, it came out of nowhere for me, I mean I knew it was good, but didn't expect top 10!

And I totally agree, Velocicoaster looks like a top 5 ride for me. But best I don't have too high expectations if history is anything to go by! 🙈🤣

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
@Nicky Borrill interesting to hear your views, thanks for sharing.

I haven’t actually heard of anyone being disappointed by Helix before your post so that does help curb my expectations.

I doubt I’ll get to the Scandinavian parks anytime soon - feels like there are much bigger fish to fry 👀🎣🇺🇸