What's new

Chessington World of Adventures: YOUR VIEWS WANTED

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^If Chessington has the money, anything on that scale would be fabulous. But it shall be said, I've never been to Chessie, and I know next to nothing about the park, so I don't know what it would do to the atmosphere of the place.

From what I've heard, something similiar to Lisebergbanan would suit the park (Schwarzkopf steel coaster). Terrain hugging coasters doesn't look as scary as other rides, and are exciting without being too intense.

And I would like to echo the words GCI Wooden Coaster. Troy at Toverland in the Netherlands is called one of the best woodies in Europe, and standing at 33 meters, it's the tallest or second tallest (RCDB doesn't list the height of (the very appreciated) Thunderhead at Dollywood) GCI coaster, so the company offers coasters that can fit under most height limits. Not to mention, GCI's coasters are recognised as some of the most beautiful coasters around.

Intamin AG also make some fabulous wooden coasters, but they are taller, more expensive and more thrill-orientated. Still, even the smallest of the modern Intamin coasters, Balder at Liseberg, is voted the best wooden coaster in the world several times. Intamin also offers a junior wooden coaster.

As for flat rides, a Huss Topple Tower sounds like a good idea. There are tons of different flat rides out there, and any well-themed flat ride that you don't see everywhere (unlike Topspins, every park has one) would do great. That being said, even an ultra-common flat ride can be very good with sufficent themeing (see Talocan at Phantasialand, for example).

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Skyways - Re-track it to go over the greenland behind the hotel and move the zoo into that area. This will free a HUGE amount of land, all which can be built on.

Beanoland - I'd like to see it go back to basics... Bring back the circus and scrap the damn puppets in Land of the Dragons.

Get a miniature railway like thorpe and place it on the land behind the Madhouse. It could be like a story type ride...

One thing that definitely needs doing is a throughway into Land of the Dragons from the Griffins Galleon end. Who's brain designed that flipping dead end? Nobody goes on Griffins because nobody sees it and there is plenty of clearance under Dragons Fury to make a path. It was proper hassle working in that area, the shortcuts lead you to nowhere...

But the one thing that Chessington needs is a new management team in the rides dep... They didn't know how to run the rides team.

Oh wait hangon, thats a personal dig... The main thing Chessington needs is a ROLLER COASTER! I'd love to see a Mack Youngstar coaster. Those are CHEAP and provide big thrills yet, kids as small as 1m can jump on them...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I've been going to Chessington since 1994 at least yearly.

The thing that bothers me recently is that it's a bit static, not a lot has changed in recent years whilst Legoland and Thorpe have changed a lot.

I'm not sure it matters a whole lot what Chessington get, I think they just need to get something because they haven't gotten anything major since 2004 and before that I can't even remember what the last major thing was... I was thinking the other day a rapids ride like Legoland's would be fab on the plot of grass near Dragon's Fury... Or another splash battle like Alton's. I'm not a fan of parks in the same chain getting the same rides and I hate these interactive water rides, but young teens love them. They are the only age group who seem to not care about getting wet no matter how cold it is. I think water and interactive should be the way forward with rides, in some sort of competitive way.

The zoo is in desperate need of some help. If they are changing the target audience to 10-12 year olds, I'm wondering if 10-12 year olds care about animals? I did and I still do but regardless, when someone goes to a zoo... They want to see animals, and it's a bit hard at Chessington.

The main thing that sucks about Chessington zoo is that you can't get very close to an awful lot of the animals because of the design of the enclosures. They also seem fairly small, overgrown and generally a bit tatty. The big animals don't look happy and it's the only zoo in the world where the parrots are reluctant to whistle and talk back to you. Something just isn't right. The interaction with the animals is lame and interaction with the animals makes a great zoo. It's what was so good about the meerkat enclosure.

Whilst on topic of the zoo - I was VERY impressed with the white tiger sign about how cruel it is. I am so happy that Merlin doesn't support this cruelty and is aiming to teach people about it. *big thumbs up*

Beanoland's rides are great. It just needs a re-theme to something that isn't outdated and that won't become outdated.

I, personally, would just want some more rides like Dragon's Fury. If little kids can feel like they've taken on their first big scary roller coaster with big grins on their faces and adults still hold on for dear life... then you've got a perfect ride, surely?

Tim

Roller Poster
What's this? A thread with people asking what I'd like to happen in the future of my local park and MANAGEMENT at the place reading it?! :eek:

Goodbye schedule for the day! Hello major brainstorming session!

Alright, first thing, to ease myself in.
With the departure of Samurai, a huge hole was left in an otherwise well-composed corner. Numerous seasonal additions and a curiously dark ferris wheel have been brought in to pad things out a bit, but there is nowhere near the level of spectator atmosphere and high energy fun there was before.

Something quite thrilling needs to take back the position. Perhaps not on the level of a Top Scan, so I would suggest some variation of Gyro Swing.
There are three main companies producing these- Intamin face outwards, KMG face inwards and Huss are somewhere between.
I have chosen the Huss version because it maxes out at vertical, so it doesn't look "upside-down" to uncertain riders and leaves the structure open to heavy customisation.

2650511049_7fab8fce14.jpg

Just a simple theme job. Call it Shuriken. It’ll look great sweeping along the path besides Dragon Falls.

Secondly, I thought of those toadies cars and cringed. Yes, there needs to be rides for that audience, but NOT at the expense of a footprint so huge. Several other developments could be put there to make better use of the land.

Cut that land in half and offer half to the kiddy area for new rides and half to Egypt. There’s too much of a dead spot on that long path towards Tomb Blaster and it could be used to expand the excellent (but slightly dinky) Egyptian area.

2650512513_98ed59bd69.jpg

I would suggest a KMG “Move it” to join Ramesses Revenge. I themed my example to an ancient embalming machine. Perhaps a contraption used to wrap up criminals for punishment, now just used to scare the pants off people! =)

KMG offer various sizes of this ride. The 32 seater sounded like the best option, but I think the mid size one will suffice. I prefer the way the smaller ones look too, personally.

Going up in scale and getting in a more elaborate idea, I propose the Mexico and Old West areas lose their vague border and simply become Mexico. Doing this will make one area that feels full (as opposed to two that feel small and pointlessly similar) and free up space for…

2651336366_835a1b621c.jpg

A big Aztec adventure coaster!
I’m looking at Disneyland Resort Paris’ “Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril” for basic ideas here. The coaster itself is compact and cheap, without compromising on style. The layout needn’t be the same off-the-shelf design. Tailor one to the site, but keep in that awesome loop and make a huge visible feature of it.

2650511633_9890f57997.jpg

Imagine seeing it flipping riders ahead as you walk down the street next to the Taco diner towards the current Runaway Train site. There’s your crowd draw!

Since I had some foamboard and plaster hanging around, here’s a sketch model idea for the train.

2650512255_886e4c0dd6.jpg

2651337114_574a73030a.jpg

Little steam engine climbing a pyramid, plummeting over the edge, curling into a half-buried loop with some of that unbeatable, classic Tussards Studio path interaction… Yum =)

Now to blow proportion and be a bit dreamy.
Mark already mentioned the Enhaced Motion Vehicle dark rides such as Indiana Jones Adventure, and I’m right there with him. Easily the best ride I’ve ever boarded. Just as thrilling as a coaster, but with a broader appeal and more reride value.

For people not in the know, an EMV (enhanced motion vehicle) is basically a simulator on wheels. They can travel through a space and also move dynamically within it, simulating things like driving over rough terrain and turning sharply.

Here’s one I made earlier…

2651359180_a60ebd666c.jpg

I’m looking back at the Mystic East for this one. Most importantly, eliminating that weak spot between Dragon Falls and Beanoland’s back entrance. There’s a big patch of empty land there, and judging by the Beano ball-shooting arena, big structures are allowed there!

I’m picturing an emperor’s tomb. You approach it as casual tourists on a jeep tour, but once inside get caught up with a gang of grave robbers who demand at gunpoint that you drive off-route to recover the artefact they seek. Obviously, the guardian spirits and resident dragon don’t take kindly to your new mission and do everything in their power to stop you.

2651336908_941b2f2ab7.jpg

You make it out and the robbers claim the treasure, but being the only ones in a high-speed vehicle, you and the fellow tourists are the only ones capable of making an escape when… the room moves to seal everyone inside! Dramatic! =)

Unrealistic for the park? Perhaps. But these guys built Tomb Blaster, which goes a long way to compare! It doesn’t need a Disneyland budget to be a great ride, just intelligent use of what’s available. The Indiana Jones Adventure served its park as the star attraction for FIFTEEN years and still pulls crowds like it had just been built! That’s gotta have been a massive return on investment, which surely justifies a slightly bulkier initial cost.

I’ve got other ideas, but I think that’ll do for now.
If there’s a popular demand for something specific in this thread (already heading that way with the Topple Tower..), I’ll look into trying to visualise it for y’all.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

^
Ummmm. Wow!. Love the loop lol... But would fit more into Disney than a Merlin park LOL...

Some very nice ideas. Very creative.

Personally, I think they should just continue woth the age they are aiming at NOW. They have Thorpe for the 15-21 Age range and LegoLand for Kids (And chessington) and Alton for the Whole age groups. They are doing fine as they are already, Why ruin something that doesn't need fixing.

Mark

Strata Poster
Cedar_Dude said:
^

Personally, I think they should just continue woth the age they are aiming at NOW. They have Thorpe for the 15-21 Age range and LegoLand for Kids (And chessington) and Alton for the Whole age groups. They are doing fine as they are already, Why ruin something that doesn't need fixing.

That's just it. Legoland and Chessington are close (physically) to one another so therefore it would make more sense to aimt hem differently. Merlin want to be able to cover all the demographics.

Keep up the good work there Tim. Those sketches are looking fantastic.

peep

CF Legend
Wow, Tim I'm drooling over those ideas but I think they are too high budget/too highly themed for Chessie. Although one would love to see at least two of those ideas come to form.

I think the KMG 'Move it' could work really well in that area, its easily themed and its a great little thrill ride that doesn't take up too much space.

Would a Gyro swing be too tall for the height limit? I know that Chessie has the same limit as Alton, can't go over the tree line. Would be another great addition to the park though.

With the EMV, well that would be cool but on a more Chessie level I think a simple jeep safari tour behind the hotel would be good enough. I know Disney's Animal Kingdom park have something along these lines where they incorporate some effects like going over a bridge which sways etc (my memory is vague, it was 8 years ago I went on it). It also means they can incorporate animals with the ride experience and it would be quite nice to have it behind the hotel (imagine waking up next to that). I did hear rumors that some form of safari thing was being placed behind the hotel but whether this is actually true I have no idea but it would be great to see something along these lines come true.

neo

Mega Poster
Well I haven’t been to Chessington in a couple of years so I can’t give an in-depth review of Chessington and Beanoland.

As for new rides I suggest the Gerstlauer Sky Roller. It’s a little high. Children may be intimidated. Maybe Gerstlauer could sort out a smaller version for you. But it offers visitors (crucially those 10-12) the opportunity of a ride to their liking. It offers an interactive ride with the possibility of going upside down. As Gerstlauer say:

The ride can be scenic or thrilling- however each passenger decides to fly.

Crucially:

The Sky Roller makes every ride an exciting adventure and attracts guests of all ages.

The capacity on the prototype is 16 people per ride, that’s half of what Rodeo was. It has a height limit of around 1.25m, which means the 10-12’s can ride.

As for theming and placement, the Sky Roller would squeeze into Rodeo’s old site. But you’ll have trouble theming it to Mexicana. It might go well in Beanoland, you could theme it to some life size paper aeroplanes or something, if you’re not going to remove Beanoland that is. Alternatively you could place it in the Mystic East with the theme of Kites.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think It's ironic that everyone's said Tim's ideas are too highly themed, but check out Alton's new concept art!

I have high hopes for Merlin now.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
Tim great work as usual. I could really imagine the Huss Frisbee, not so much the other rides, but they're all great idea's.

Beanoland, I don't think I've ever really liked, so I wouldn't be a great one to talk about it.

10WaTT

Hyper Poster
I was thinking about Ramesis Revenge, maybe they could do something to make the ride a little more interesting, perhaps all the riders should have to activate their own water spray using audio recognition, say the louder you shout the less your sprayed or vice versa. Another way round it, is before the ride starts moving they all have to pass a shouting test and if they dont all shout loud enough past a certain decibel, they all get wet or something. It would make the ride more spontaneous, bring rider interaction, more attention to guests who are just watching the riders etc...

I'm very up for the Topple Tower idea, as it would be unique to the UK which is a great marketing point, also they don't look too intimidating for the targeted audience, plus they just look to be really fun.

Also the Rapids idea is good as they always draw big crowds, anyone that rides them has a brilliant time talking to friends and other passengers about whats coming up and what to watch out for. Can you imagine a Rapids idea in the Mystic East area with Ninja's, Dragon's and other things popping out of no-where spraying water, fire or mist etc...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
10WaTT said:
I was thinking about Ramesis Revenge, maybe they could do something to make the ride a little more interesting, perhaps all the riders should have to activate their own water spray using audio recognition, say the louder you shout the less your sprayed or vice versa. Another way round it, is before the ride starts moving they all have to pass a shouting test and if they dont all shout loud enough past a certain decibel, they all get wet or something. It would make the ride more spontaneous, bring rider interaction, more attention to guests who are just watching the riders etc...

I really don't like that idea... If you don't want to get wet, you sit on the ends... Staff are usually helpful in that respect... (Most of us are anyways :lol:)

I've actually been thinking a lot about Bubbles and what could be done when the Imperial Leather sponsorship runs out, and I reckon that a complete gut-out could be an excellent idea, especially judging the theming seen on the Alton concepts atm...
The re-theme would make it more part of Tranny, since it's a very odd ride, which WAS part of the original's charm, and although a re-theme back to that could be on the top of many's lists, I don't think it would work as well and everyone would still say the original was better :lol:
But simply it could be done up as a Haunted Mansion themed ride, with the station becoming a Great Hall, with vaulted walls, themed windows, potraits, etc.
The main thing would be to make the ride a bit scary, but more comical scary rather than out and out stuff... Not like the mummies at the end of Tomb Blaster, but much more like the Haunted Mansions of Disney, but since it would still be a ride babies could go on (unless boats were changed with a re-theme of them), basically kiddie but with some minor (and hidden) adult themes...
I like my idea of an Igor person standing at the top of the lift saying stuff randomly, and a Count person who looks a lot like a certain Prof.... ;)

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
[Bubbleworks is] a very odd ride, which WAS part of the original's charm... it could be done up as a Haunted Mansion themed ride, with the station becoming a Great Hall, with vaulted walls, themed windows, potraits, etc. The main thing would be to make the ride a bit scary, but more comical scary rather than out and out stuff... I like my idea of an Igor person standing at the top of the lift saying stuff randomly, and a Count person who looks a lot like a certain Prof.... ;)
Hmm, that might work - something themed around the ideas of a mad scientist perhaps, and his weird creations? That would probably provide plenty of scope for plenty of comedy horror.