What's new

Chessington World of Adventures: YOUR VIEWS WANTED

Tjex1

Roller Poster
Maybe an Schwartzof Lopper, a small one, to keep tho the theme of being a family park. it would need some decent theming, though, they could take on the challeng of tuning something not so good int something incredible

jokerman

Giga Poster
I don't agree with the Tomb Blaster overhaul. I'm only going by that video, but I think Tomb Blaster looked just as good as that. It would be an unnecessary use of money.

peep

CF Legend
^^^I don't think live actors would work, where would they go?

I do love Tomb as it is now but some of it just seems so cheap compared to the ride I linked a video of. Maybe just a little sprucing up? Nothing major I suppose.

An idea I had earlier in the year (can't remember if I posed it in here) was to rip out Tomb, keep the building and have a heavily themed Gerstlauer launched coaster in there, sort of similar to Mummy at Universal.

jokerman

Giga Poster
No. Tomb is an important ride for Chessie. The whole interactive thing is incredibly important to keep people "involved".
Plus, it's incredibly popular. It has a fastrack system, so they must get a lot of people wanting to go on it. Better to have a new ride somewhere else, and leave Tomb there to take some of the queues from other rides that would inevtitably build up without it.

peep

CF Legend
The fast track system isn't really used a lot on the ride and surely an indoor rollercoaster would also use this system? I was also saying that was an idea I had earlier in the year, something they should think about in the future when Tomb starts getting run down and dated.

The main problem with Chessington is that they are running out of space to play with and the building restrictions make future developments harder to create and build. Just really looking forward at the moment to the new area taking over Beanoland, will be interesting to see if it turns out anything like the plans. Lets also hope it brings a new range of awesome merchandise :D

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Tomb is both incredilby popular (with queues of up to an hour in the height of summer) and one of the 3 throughput eaters at the park...

It won't be going anywhere John, so I reckon a sprue-up in a few years would be the most likely...

I think the actors could go either in part of the scenes or on the evac walkways...

I think right now there are more things to be removed right now than Tomb being renovated, Bubbles need renovation first to make it awesome again for example :D

andrus

Giga Poster
I think they need a new thrilling coaster like a mega-lite or a big woody. Something thrilling but not to scary (no multi-looper). If the target audience are 10-12 year olds chessington need something that is really thrilling for that audience, or maybe oven to thrilling. This will attract peaple to the park. Even though not all 10 year olds will ride a mega-lite they will think it is cool and will be attracted by it! Simple psychology.

Other thrilling rides that would suit this audience are a not to tall space shot/drop tower, a huss flic flac and a screamin' swing. On the calmer rides chessington are lacking a rapid river, something I personally thought was a cool ride when I was that age.

Ollie

CF Legend
A Mega-Lite on the field next to Fury would be amazing.

And also a retheme of Bubbleworks into a haunted castle themed ride. But It can be quite tounge in cheek horror to make it entertaining for children. :)

peep

CF Legend
^^The problem with the majority of the rides you mentioned is that they are tall and so Chessington probably wouldn't be allowed to build them.

Rapids ride? I'd personally love one but the ones in the UK are usually terrible due to poor weather conditions so the parks create something which doesn't really do anything. If they were to build a fairly decent one it would also require a lot of space, something which Chessington lacks.

I think the space behind the new area for next year could be suitable enough for a small coaster, a Gerstlauer launched which many of us have suggested previously in this topic or possibly a small wooden coaster, maybe even a mega-lite (not sure how much space these usually require).

Bubbleworks is in dire need of a complete change. They destroyed the ride when they introduced the 're-theme' and so therefore I think it should be completely changed (maybe even a different ride system/lay-out) with a more Transylvania based theme (it really sticks out, a horror themed area with bright colourful buildings?).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Urgh, why must people keep suggesting massive rides which the park like mega-lites and stuff... Sigh...

Mega-lites and similar rides can go to Thorpe, Chessie is more deserving of rides that can look like they've been there for years, look at the rides from the 80s and how well planned out they are with theming (Although now a bit meh) and queuelines (Buccy, Vampire, Runaway, Rattlesnake)...

Those are the rides I would prefer, rides that can be themed all over, this needs to be done on Fury and such, but I just don't want a mega-lite, I want Chessie to not have a true 'iconic' ride, but more of a set of rides that all bustle each other for the top spot, having a third contender to Fury and Vampire is all it needs in regards to coasters...

Also the park needs another looping ride but with a 1.2m restriction, Gerstlauer launched can be heavily themed and also deliver another major ride, bam done...

Bubbleworks retheme I have a main idea for it, the Phantom Factory, same premise, different and suitable theme to the area it's in, spooky version of CATCF would be the basic ideals behind it, but I will think of more for that later...

Flat rides I have Topple Tower, Musik Express, Vekoma Madhouse, new Ferris Wheel and a Demolition Derby to replace specific rides that I've stated numerous times before... So cannot be bothered to say it again...

In regards to water rides, I thought of a heavily themed Supersplash in the picnic field next to Pirates Cove, but taking up most of the Rig Site rather than the field, the fields are so heavily used in the summer and sometimes in general so removing them is in my view a bad idea because Chessie succeeds on the high amount of areas you can relax...

ENGLISH RAPIDS ARE CRAP!!!

[/rant]

andrus

Giga Poster
I disagree. I think every park needs a big thrilling ride to attract people, that's what sells! I visited UK this summer and I went to two theme parks, guess which? Alton because of nemesis and thorpe because of stealth.

Big rides are easy to promote in newspapers, tv comercials etc. You can't promote "a good balance". A mega-lite is a perfect choice I think hence it is both impressive and easy to promote. It also fits the target audience of 10-12 year olds and is relatively small in size (don't know exactly how much space chessington has).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^But Piraten has a minimum restriction of 140cm as it says on the Djurs site, so if Rattlesnake and Rameses are anything to go by, such a ride wouldn't work well at Chessie with it's current target market...

So you came over to the UK and yet didn't go to Chessie? The atmosphere there is so different from Thorpe and Alton, and big massive rides are not the best idea for it...

Also, Chessie's height restrictions are very strict, Peeking for example is about as tall as the rides at Chessie will get because it is in the middle of both Green Belt and residential areas, loud rides as well are a major issue as we know with Vampire being an annoying ride to the locals...

Rides don't have to be thrilling to be good, so Chessie doesn't need big rides, never has had any big rides and in my opinion all it needs are more unique and fun rides...

andrus

Giga Poster
Hmm.. didn't know piraten had a hight restriction of 140 cm, sounds a bit odd. If it's true a mega-lite might not be o good choice for chessington after all. But my opinion remain regarding "big" coasters, they do sell and if chessington wants more visitors if think they should go for something "wow" (although not to intence hence the target audience).

I didn't visit chess because already stated reasons. I'm sure it's a lovely park, but the park didn't succed in getting my attention. And I'm certain that the majority of people think like me, they go to the "cool parks with big rides". So I think chess should get themselves an as thrilling ride as the target audience allows, an iconic ride who could sell them more entry tickets. Just my opinion.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Indeed it is your opinion, but sometimes you don't need an iconic ride, I went to Tripsdrill last year because I was informed about it, and thought, we're nearby (though it's in the middle of nowhere) we'll go to it, all it has is a wooden coaster that's decent and a bobsled, kind of similar to Chessie...

The thing is with rides, some parks can get away with having massive ones (like Thorpe) but I don't think Chessie could get away with it, as much as many want a Mega-Lite, I see it more likely to be at Thorpe than Chessie, simple as...

Again, Gerstlauer launched for Chessie would be perfect, intricately themed with the new area with pre-shows, the whole dollar, and maybe in the future expand to the land behind Falls and Runaway, although that would likely mean sorting out the service road...

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Even though it may be out of price range chessington, I would love to see a Intamin Aquatrax. I know there has only one has ever been made but it would fil most of the gaps chessie is missing!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Thought someone would comment but since not I will...

AN AQUATRAX WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT CHESSIE!!!

ahem...

I believe they do want another water ride, so I think maybe a Supersplash could tick a few boxes, as they firstly don't really get you too wet (with relation to Atlantica Supersplash) and could feature an elevator lift to reduce space and what-not...

It could fit in half of the Fury field and themed to Pirate's Cove, giving it more of an area theme which is what is lacking in that specific one, similar to Toytown and tbh the whole park bar Translyvania...

More theming for the win please...

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:

AN AQUATRAX WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT CHESSIE

How comes? I know it is way too expensive, but if all the other merlin parks chipeed in. Mind you the space taken up by the ride may be quite big but I don't see how it would be too big for the field.

andrus

Giga Poster
An aquatrax would be great! It's uniqe and would be the only one in europe. By the reviews of the only existing aquatrax up to date it is also an awesome ride experience! What is the height restriction of an aquatrax coaster? If it's 1.2 meters or below it would be a much greater option then putting in a mega-lite!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
it would be a much greater option then putting in a mega-lite!
Or for that matter the launched gerstlaur people were mentioning earlier. ^^ Now that would never happen. I can see an aquatrax fitting in quite well into chessington. And would fit quite well the pirates bay mentioned! I can immagine it now a gigantic pirate ship wreck or the wrecks of a pirate town. I think it would be a great addition to chessington!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
silenthillXD said:
Nemesis Inferno said:

AN AQUATRAX WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT CHESSIE

How comes? I know it is way too expensive, but if all the other merlin parks chipeed in. Mind you the space taken up by the ride may be quite big but I don't see how it would be too big for the field.

Wait... What?

The park's act independently of each other, and very rarely work with each other, Merlin just give the money to each park, and don't give Chessie enough unfortunately...

£30 million was given to Legoland this year, if only Chessie could get similar...

Though that probably would never be enough for an Aquatrax...

This is why Intamins and B&Ms are very unlikely, and why we prefer smaller and less 'iconic' rides than the big ones because Chessie have very little money being put in atm and hopefully after this new area more money will be put in as Merlin realise Chessie has a great potential...