What's new

Chessington on fire!

davidm

Strata Poster
Well a cafe anyway! :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25476397

Fire closes Chessington World of Adventures
Fire Police and fire teams are at the scene with drivers advised to avoid the area

A fire in a cafe at a popular Surrey theme park has forced it to close.

London Fire Brigade said the alert was raised at Chessington World of Adventures just after 08:30 GMT.

The Metropolitan Police tweeted officers were at the scene along with eight fire engines from London and Surrey.

A statement posted on the theme park website said: "Due to unforeseen circumstances, Chessington will be closed today."

"If you had tickets booked for today they will be valid for another day in the future."

It said further updates would follow.

Drivers have been advised to avoid Leatherhead Road.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Well I hope all the animals and people are ok. Luckily, I'm guessing this happened before the park opened. But honestly, how much bad luck can the park get?

peep

CF Legend
The park is officially closed today and tickets are being allowed for use on other days.

The cafe in question is the creaky cafe which was where the Santa experience thing was. Apparently an attraction has been damaged, whether they mean the Santa thing or bubbles/vampire (share the same building) it's currently unclear.

This really is the cherry on top of a really bad year for chessie.

marc

CF Legend
gavin said:
Best topic title I've ever read.

Pmsl

It's a shame for the park, not really sure what else to say.

Yes it's been a bad two years but let's be honest when you leave things for years **** happens.

Ben

CF Legend
That dump is on fiirrreeee,
Yes the cafe's on fiireeeee,
That dump is on fiirrreeee.

Meh, just upsetting that the entire park didn't burn down.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Well as long as Bubble Works is down, then I'm happy! The attraction was dire, and as long as no staff were in there, the thing can burn to the ground.

jokerman

Giga Poster
It's a shame for all those people who had already made their way to the park.

I seem to have returned to the forums after an absence to find suddenly that people despise Chessington...

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Ben said:
Yes the cafe's on fiireeeee,
That dump is on fiirrreeee.

Meh, just upsetting that the entire park didn't burn down.

In the interest of editorial fairness (And my general opinion)

Just upsetting that this wasn't at Thorpe :p

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Will be interesting to see if this encourages them to putting some genuine investment into the park! Hope the Bubbleworks isn't too damaged, allthough it would be nice to see a replacement. Anyway I wonder how this will effect their plans for next year, now they have to fix this on top of retheming, Dragon Falls, fixing Ramesis and retheming the Minetrain. It's a shame it's happened as I can't honestly see them putting in much effort into redoing these areas. Here's hoping I am wrong!

Ben

CF Legend
^They'll either get a new B&M or a new Skyride station, if any of Merlin's past insurance scams are anything to go by.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Dark rides are reeeallllyyy expensive, especially on the scale of Wicked Witches Haunted. I don't know how much that ride specifically cost, but I do know that The Spirit of London Taxi ride at Madame Tussauds cost £22 million to construct with theming, and that was back in the 90's. So yep, they could easily get a B&M off that.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
I do know that The Spirit of London Taxi ride at Madame Tussauds cost £22 million to construct with theming
I assume most of that went on buying drugs for the designers.