What's new

Chessington changes for 2012

Re: Chessington to make drastic impovements for 2012

Ben said:
But, what the park needs is NOT a bloody zoo update! Another addition to the zoo is the LAST thing that place needs.
The thing is, if what's been discussed earlier in the thread is accurate (about only being able to build rides on sites that have already been developed), then relocating and redeveloping the zoo on new sites in order to free up the old areas may actually be a pre-requisite for actually being able to build something worthwhile.

Living as far up north as I do, I can't say I'm interested in anything they do with the Zoo, but if it's a necessary step to doing something significant with the park, then it gets my support.

That said, dropping existing plans (yet again) so that they can relocate a ride and add a show? That sucks. If I'm down south for Ghosterforce in October, I'll probably drop in because CF are involved and hence it'll be an awesome day out. Any other time of year? No chance. I'll pass, and do some of the other southern parks that I've not been to yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wake me up when they do something worthwhile.

Well, there's nothing mentioning Madagascar on the plans. And if somebody did read/hear 'Madagasgar' mentioned as plans for Toytown, it's possible it meant Madagasgar as in the African country, rather than the animated film series.

I can't see there being a whole area re-theme with the Madagascar IP, but I can easily see them putting in one of those little tent things like they did with Ice Age the other year. I couldn't see something like that lasting more than a year though... is there likely to be a new Madagascar film in 2012?

Nic said:
I couldn't see something like that lasting more than a year though... is there likely to be a new Madagascar film in 2012?
Yes.

"Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted is the third installment of the Madagascar film series, also the first 3-D film in the series, produced by DreamWorks Animation and directed by Eric Darnell.[1] It is a sequel to Madagascar and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. It is set to be released on June 8, 2012.[2]"

Also set in Europe, so this makes a bit more sense.

I think they should add something more thrilling. Here is my reason:
The whole point of a theme park is "Fun for all the family". I have gone to Thorpe Park many times with people who don't like coasters. They have to stand there whilst I ride. Chessington is fun, but if I had to choose a park to go to, it would be Thorpe Park. I think the park should invest in some type of scary coaster. I guess Ramasese sort of counts, but that is the only thing. I think that would probably draw in more people. They have the kids sorted, they need to also get the thrill seekers...

Nic said:
I can't see there being a whole area re-theme with the Madagascar IP, but I can easily see them putting in one of those little tent things like they did with Ice Age the other year. I couldn't see something like that lasting more than a year though... is there likely to be a new Madagascar film in 2012?
I actually think you're onto something.

This would explain all the rumours and the pull out of the monkey/bird garden as this would be very low budget and contemporarily relevant.

Yeah. Perhaps indeed!

Here's the latest concept art for the new Madagascan theme:

953f4edd8fa0447b927ece1.png

Ergh. That looks AWFUL.

A little bit of paint and straw isn't going to make them look any less like toon town buildings, what a terrible idea.

Urgh, vom.

When I said I thought the retheme was a good idea I didn't mean retheme it to look like Kumali's station <//3

So cheap. So tacky. So red, blue and yellow <//3

Vile. Some companies need to start hiring Graphic Designers and not just some "Park Employee with photoshop".

Also just looked at the plans, replacing Jumbos will be a sea of logs used for seating...

Why are we getting this over Monkey Kingdom again?

But guys, this is ACTUALLY what Africa looks like. It's just missing a few wooden fence panels nailed in at awkward angles.

We see what Disney do and then we see this wtf are they doing. Maybe it will look better when done?

What is going in the area though, are they just removing rides?

Please do not say this is a movie tie in.

nadroJ said:
But guys, this is ACTUALLY what Africa looks like. It's just missing a few wooden fence panels nailed in at awkward angles.

And black people not using condoms <3

marc said:
We see what Disney do and then we see this wtf are they doing. Maybe it will look better when done?
I **** hope so. I've seen better "Crooked House" attractions. Ha!

Ben said:
And black people not using condoms <3
Ben: Ambassador for International Relations of Sub-Sahara Africa.

By the way, is this 'artist's rendering' legit, or is it just a Chessington goon playing around on photoshop?

nadroJ said:
By the way, is this 'artist's rendering' legit, or is it just a Chessington goon playing around on photoshop?

It's the final image on the official planning application, so unfortunately it is legit...