What's new

Chengdu - Day 4: Pandas!

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’ve just got back off my Easter holidays, and decided to try and keep it cheap (didn’t happen) by heading over to a few places in mainland China. Since I spent a few days each in three different cities, I’m going to write separate reports for each one, starting with Chengdu.

It’s about a two hour flight from Hong Kong, but the flight was delayed (every flight that day between Chengdu and Hong Hong was delayed for some reason), so I ended up not getting to my hotel until around 11 at night. I had a quick wander around – an area called Tianfu Square, which was nice – and called it a night.

SAM_1904_zpsfa745fba.jpg

SAM_1913_zps424aec8b.jpg

SAM_1915_zps9e367098.jpg

SAM_1906_zpsf26a59e4.jpg

My hotel was very subtly lit, making it quite difficult to find:

SAM_1918_zpsbd63ef25.jpg

The view from the window was pretty fab.

SAM_2549_zpse39d8dc5.jpg

The area around the hotel was cool during the day as well.

SAM_2475_zps1d13cae5.jpg

SAM_2477_zpsea30a304.jpg

SAM_2467_zpsc112a162.jpg

SAM_2213_zpsc88bfcf1.jpg

SAM_2212_zpsa85864e9.jpg

SAM_2478_zps6fed16df.jpg

The first full day I had there was a Friday. I had originally thought to head down to a park called Dream Land in the morning, but didn’t know anything about the place and thought it might just be one of those small amusement park areas within a normal city park. Google maps just show a lake/park/resort with no mention of an actual amusement park there. Since it was pretty far away, I didn’t want to risk getting there around 9 on a Friday morning for there not to be anything open that early. Instead, I decided to walk the 5 minutes from my hotel to People’s Park, figuring that even if the amusement park section wasn’t open first thing on a Friday morning, that I wouldn’t have wasted any time and could move onto something else, hitting it again later.

Anyway, it turns out that all the parks on this trip basically operate in the same way as some I’ve been to before in other Chinese cities; they’re always open with most rides operating, even on weekday mornings when there’s nobody around and the places look closed, so I needn’t have worried.

People’s Park

The entrance to the park was extremely welcoming.

SAM_1921_zps1ced32cf.jpg

SAM_1922_zpsce5c3188.jpg

The park was actually lovely, and full of people doing various morning exercises, like Tai Chi and other such Chinese crap.

SAM_1926_zps71161895.jpg

SAM_1930_zpsa4ab22d2.jpg

SAM_1943_zps9e4925a8.jpg

SAM_1957_zps08453b1a.jpg

SAM_1968_zpsd71eef58.jpg

SAM_1967_zps1b11557a.jpg

SAM_1966_zps39192283.jpg

SAM_1973_zps672b7110.jpg

Food in Sichuan Province is notoriously spicy:

SAM_1929_zpsfdaa60e1.jpg

As expected, the amusement park area was a bit s**t, which seems to be a running thread in a lot of these Chinese city parks. The parks themselves are often gorgeous, but then the “Children’s Playground” areas are just a concrete corner with some crappy rides shoved in.

SAM_1941_zps6199ed84.jpg

SAM_1945_zpsfcfc3e63.jpg

SAM_1940_zps431475fa.jpg

The shuttle things weren’t operating, which was a shame since Coaster-Count has now decided to include them as creds.

SAM_1932_zpse2371e5a.jpg

The coaster here was just a small, crappy kiddy thing. 50 pence spent and +1 for the count.

SAM_1934_zps549ce031.jpg

SAM_1935_zpsbf7e15eb.jpg

SAM_1944_zps67db1035.jpg

Despite the amusement park section being predictably crappy, I really liked People’s Park on the whole. It’s a good way to get some cultural s**te done while still mopping up a cred. It was still only a little after 10 at this point, so I got a taxi over to another +1 park.

Chengdu Zoo

It was £2 to get in. The entrance was very dramatic.

SAM_1976_zpse1255102.jpg

I didn’t spend a great deal of time looking around the zoo, but it was better than some of the others I’ve seen in China.

SAM_2010_zps0578de26.jpg

SAM_2001_zpse4a86b9a.jpg

They had south China tigers, which were cool to see as I’ve never seen one before and they’re pretty much definitely extinct in the wild now.

SAM_2007_zpsdc5323c9.jpg

I find it funny how China is very strict about the conditions their pandas are kept in when they loan/rent them out to foreign countries, but in so many of their own zoos, they’ll just shove them in a concrete box.

SAM_2024_zps50c96407.jpg

This pretty much sums up Chinese zoos to be honest. The animals shout and throw food at the exhibits:

SAM_1996_zps904b09ef.jpg

I **** ing LOVE this picture:

SAM_2018_zps81ff82c7.jpg

To give it a bit of context though, you could pay a pound for a bowl of vegetables to feed the hippos with. It was still stupidly thoughtless and irresponsible to hold a baby over the gaping jaws of one the world’s most dangerous animals though. It’s not even as if the baby was a girl!

SAM_2016_zps4ae2fa55.jpg

You could also do your bit for animal conservation by purchasing some of them inside keyrings.

SAM_1978_zpsf5aa9ac8.jpg

Oh yeah, crappy amusement park section. Again, all open (except for the log flume) but with nobody bothering with it:

SAM_1988_zps18a06f34.jpg

SAM_1983_zps0c585167.jpg

SAM_1989_zps2601acbb.jpg

SAM_1984_zpsd24e85cd.jpg

The coaster was just a crappy powered dragon that goes around the log flume. It was a pain to take pictures of really. Not that it matters since there are loads of these things anyway and they’re w@nk.

SAM_1987_zps239cafb9.jpg

SAM_1985_zps7186bccd.jpg

SAM_1986_zpsa6cdd4f1.jpg

It was still only about 11:30 by this point, meaning that there was still plenty of time for my first proper park of the trip.

Happy Valley Chengdu

This place was the third Happy Valley park to be built, after Shenzhen and Beijing and a few months before Shanghai.

SAM_2030_zpsc5b6fd86.jpg

As with the other Happy Valley parks I’ve been to, they have a closed ride list at the gate, but in Chinese. There were a couple of things on it. This park also had an “opening at 1pm” list with quite a few things on it, but again in Chinese. The park was really quiet, meaning that most rides were walk-on all day.

I headed straight for the parks’s main coasters, only one of which was open at that time:

SAM_2035_zps7adcccca.jpg

SAM_2049_zps6d294a8a.jpg

SAM_2101_zps1db61646.jpg

SAM_2037_zps014ac702.jpg

SAM_2043_zps1f5e6267.jpg

This SLC is the same as the one in Beijing, which is basically the “Kumali” layout, but with an extra helix. I’ve always said that I prefer the regular SLCs as the layout is much better, but that this model is smoother. This particular one was more disgusting than the contents of an abortion clinic bin though.

Couple the roughness with a **** layout and you get my least favourite SLC after that POS in Canada. Despite it having very short queues for the rest of the day, I didn’t bother with it again.

One of the worst coaster types sits uncomfortably next to one of the best.

SAM_2036_zps735cb4f0.jpg

SAM_2052_zps2cc78553.jpg

Mega-Lite!!!!!!

SAM_2054_zpsd9f768e6.jpg

SAM_2075_zpsbeeb64a7.jpg

SAM_2055_zpse5dc0cb9.jpg

SAM_2056_zpsf7ff374c.jpg

It wasn’t running, but luckily the sign out front said it would be opening at 1pm. There was about half an hour or so to wait, so I went to the area behind it to check out what else was there. This was walk-on all day, so I gave it a go. I think it was a “real” one as opposed to the knockoff model I’ve seen elsewhere.

SAM_2059_zpsc5bc0edf.jpg

Panda Warrior was closed all day. It looked to be some kind of Spiderman/Transformers ripoff.

SAM_2060_zps45b2d8c3.jpg

There was also a huge “Soarin’” type ride, named after China’s foreign policy.

SAM_2061_zps5da029f4.jpg

“The West” of the title was actually just the area of China immediately west of Chengdu. It was huge and pretty cool though, and easily the best of its type that I’ve ridden so far.

I ended up coming back to this 3D show at the end of the day – despite it being “open” from 10 - 6, they were running it at hourly intervals - but I’m going to stick it in here now as it was in the same area.

SAM_2067_zps0e3d92c3.jpg

I can usually take or leave 3D shows now, but this one was excellent. The whole theatre was themed to being underwater, with 3 3D screens that worked together to make it all really immersive. I think it’s possibly the best 3D show I’ve seen, with the exceptions of perhaps Philharmagic and Terminator 3D.

SAM_2205_zpsd4059d1b.jpg

Just around the corner was an amazing Golden Horse spinner. I’m always ecstatic to see these in every **** ing Chinese park.

SAM_2070_zps0cd7ca51.jpg

SAM_2072_zps6d37ac0a.jpg

SAM_2096_zps13906f5a.jpg

Back to something decent then. The Mega-Lite was, predictably for Happy Valley, only running on one train, which wasn’t an issue since the park was quiet. However, they were doing their best to keep things moving as slowly as possible.

I forgot to mention it with the SLC, but this park makes guests do stupid warm-up exercises before riding the coasters. I’d seen this before at the Shenzhen park, and it’s infuriating as there’s absolutely no point to it other than waste time and reduce operations. They did this for every train, waiting for the previous riders to completely leave the station first, meaning that people are doing this **** while there’s an empty train just sitting in the station.

At least later in the day, when there was a bit more of a queue, they let two trains worth of people into the loading area, meaning that the bull **** exercises were only being done half as much.

Clearly, I stood there looking the ride ops right in the eye and refusing to take part. Have a video of this f*ckery:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8al94IupeNY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

The ride was amazing though. This is now the third one I’ve ridden, and they’re all just as good as each other.

SAM_2087_zps61ba36df.jpg

SAM_2083_zpsd026919c.jpg

SAM_2079_zps48883acf.jpg

What was also great, not only for this coaster but throughout the trip, was that the locals always filled up the trains from the front, even though the ride ops weren’t allocating seats. This meant that I was always guaranteed a back row ride if I wanted it, as I’d just ignore the “system” and head straight to the back. Over the course of the day, I got seven rides in – usually unheard of at a Crappy Valley park - four of those in the back row. There was a pretty big difference at the end of the day as well. After it had warmed up, it really was pretty insane.

SAM_2077_zps95caa881.jpg

SAM_2090_zps8b0c72c6.jpg

SAM_2092_zpsedc187d8.jpg

SAM_2203_zps33f01a90.jpg

One thing that I’d noticed is that this park was nowhere near themed as much as the parks in Shenzhen and Beijing. The area with the final coaster, a Vekoma mine train, and the rapids was a bit better though.

SAM_2109_zpse4db612b.jpg

SAM_2156_zpsf9a8ecc5.jpg

SAM_2155_zpsae6e8d6e.jpg

I quite liked this model the first time I tried it, but I’ve now decided that they’re actually pretty s**t. I think it’s because the first one I’d done at the Shenzhen park was really well-themed, so I was more forgiving of a bit of a crap coaster. Oh, and this place made you do the **** ing exercises again. Twats.

The rapids were a bit crap until right at the end, where there was a very turbulent section that also went under three waterfalls. I don’t normally bother with the body condoms for water rides, but at Chinese parks I make an exception as they always get you soaked.

SAM_2116_zps8ed4d113.jpg

SAM_2111_zps7fbd1d2d.jpg

The other water ride was just around the corner. These are another staple at Happy Valley parks, only this one wasn’t really themed at much as the others. They’re really good, but again get you drenched. Even with a poncho thing, you get soaked from the knees down. Well, you do if you’re taller than Peter Dinklage anyway.

SAM_2121_zpsca9be54e.jpg

SAM_2122_zps366ecbfa.jpg

It was good to see a different Top Spin model to the regular Huss version that the other parks have.

SAM_2126_zpsd8a9fb64.jpg

I never got to ride the flying island as they were running it in the same way as the 3D show. It was “open” all day according to the ride sign, but they were actually only running it at 30 minute intervals. I never managed, or was bothered to time it right, especially as the entrance was a bit of a trek from anything else and didn’t warrant the effort after the first attempt.

I did go into this ice house thing though, which they had the audacity to upcharge (about £2.50) for.

SAM_2149_zpsabdc7245.jpg

It was ok, but a bit **** really.

SAM_2147_zpsc5cfcdf5.jpg

SAM_2146_zpsc372e52f.jpg

Until I found this:

SAM_2148_zps35fc3c97.jpg

No, it’s clearly not a cred, though it did have a lift hill at the end – after you’d got off - to take the carts back up to the top.

Where shall we take our wedding pictures? Fake Europe!

SAM_2195_zpsda9c7293.jpg

To the right of the entrance, which I’d come to last as I worked around, was another typical area in Happy Valley parks. Basically, it’s just an area of flat rides all shoved together. I usually wouldn’t bother, but the park was quiet and I had plenty of time, so I did a few of them this time around.

SAM_2169_zps67acb253.jpg

SAM_2164_zpsba3f3ec1.jpg

SAM_2174_zps1556341b.jpg

SAM_2130_zps5e993784.jpg

SAM_2175_zpsd9c61753.jpg

The ferris wheel was decent for getting an overview of the park, but I think the flying island would’ve been better.

SAM_2179_zpsf41e0af7.jpg

SAM_2189_zpsd2995dbf.jpg

SAM_2183_zpsfbd45603.jpg

There was also a 4D theatre, which I skipped and didn’t take any pictures of, and a horror walk through, which looked like it was going to be decent from the outside and the first room.

SAM_2197_zps696ea1f0.jpg

SAM_2199_zps8c1821f5.jpg

It was **** though; they all are from the ones I’ve done at the Happy Valley parks. They’re all just full of piss-poor, cheap, fairground style animatronics, with very little real theming or atmosphere.

All in all, I had a great time at the park, partly thanks to it being so quiet. The Mega-Lite is the only decent coaster, and it was great to able to get quite a few rides on it, but there’s a lot of other stuff to do at the park as well, much more than I’d expected really.

I think they’re probably due for a new coaster though. They haven’t had one since the park opened, while the two older parks have both had major additions, and the park that opened at roughly the same time is currently building something new.

Re: Chengdu - Day 1: Kiddy Crap and Happy Valley

Another awesome report. I love the buildings with all the lighting on them, they look great.

Mega-lites <3 I don't know why more parks don't have them. It's a shame you didn't do Panda Warrior, sounds epic (especially considering the size of the building it's in).

That zoo and the key rings with animals in them... OMG :(

Those exercises too, so glad you videoed them for universal contempt :)

The picture of the kid being dangled over a hippo is **** brilliant! Sell it to The Sun/Daily Mirror/other idiotic newspaper so they can laugh at the primitive fools of the Far East ;)

The key rings, nooooooo!

Do you never feel conspicuous for going against regime? You're already a giant white man, surely it must draw a lot of attention to yourself? Or do they not really give a ****?

Ahhh I've missed the Gavin PTRs.

Fab report as always, I love these parks which, until I've started reading your reports, were non-accessible and dangerous...obviously I have been extremely misinformed.

One thing, those key rings with fish and turtles in...are they actually real...?

Very nice report as usual. That hippo picture was hilarious.

Does the park give any justification for making people do the stupid exercises, or do they just tell people to do it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Another great report as always.

Those keyrings made me so sad:(

That picture of the child over the hippo was great, the fact you can do that with a child, but then have to do exercises before you get on a coaster is beond me. China is so horrible but amazing at the same time!

nadroJ said:
Do you never feel conspicuous for going against regime? You're already a giant white man, surely it must draw a lot of attention to yourself? Or do they not really give a ****?

It varies by place to be honest. Some Chinese cities have more international tourism and international populations than others. For the vast majority of the time in Chengdu, most notably at the parks, I was the only non-Chinese person around and definitely drew attention, getting quite a few double takes and having people point me out to their friends, but the people were generally pretty laid back about it and didn't make a massive fuss when they saw me.

Not taking part in the ridiculous exercises didn't make it any better or worse. There were always a couple of other people not bothering to do it as well.

Jordanovichy said:
One thing, those key rings with fish and turtles in...are they actually real...?

"Keyrings" was the wrong word to use really. They're just temporary vessels for buying animals in, though how many of those animals ever make it out of them is debatable. They were very real though, yes.

Hobbes said:
Does the park give any justification for making people do the stupid exercises, or do they just tell people to do it?

I don't know if they say anything to people as I don't speak Mandarin. There's nothing in the English signage about it anyway, and Happy Valley are mostly pretty inclusive with that. It's typical Asian bull **** to be honest. Somebody in some office somewhere has come up with this great idea and everyone mindlessly does as they're told without questioning it. It'll be at the point now where nobody knows why it's done or where it came from; it's just the done thing.

It was probably a combination of a response to a guest complaint about pulling a muscle or something and as a way to keep running costs down by deliberately reducing the number of dispatches. The Happy Valley Parks should be the best in China since they have some amazing rides, are very clean and modern, and have great theming and atmosphere. However, they deliberately run their parks like s**t.

owenrita121 said:
That picture of the child over the hippo was great, the fact you can do that with a child, but then have to do exercises before you get on a coaster is beond me.

They're not connected at all though really. There's nothing really stopping anyone in any zoo anywhere from doing something that stupid. The only parks I've seen them doing the stupid exercises are two of the Happy Valley parks, Shenzhen and Chengdu. I don't know if they've rolled it out in the Beijing park - certainly not when I was there back in 2007 - and the Wuhan park weren't doing it. It's far from a "Chinese" thing.

Another fantastic report as always Gavin.

I've only ever seen the exercise thing on the SLC and mine train at HV Shenzhen. Beijing weren't doing it in 2012. I think you're right, someone somewhere has decided the park does it and people just carry on doing it mindlessly. I didn't join in either.

It doesn't actually look like a bad park, much nicer than crappy Shenzhen anyway.

How many bloody golden horse spinners must you have now!?

^ I've had a quick look on RCDB and I think it's 13. I actually thought it was more. Only 65 to go to complete the set.

The first time I went to the Shenzhen park - in around 2007 I think - they weren't doing the excercise thing at all, but then last time, a few months ago, they were doing it for Bullet Coaster. I didn't ride the SLC or Mine Train that time, so I didn't realise they were also doing it on those. Morons.

Hippo picture is brilliant (as was the entire report tbh), can imagine now we've seen a video of a pre-ride warm up that the next Live will have something similar going on....

The next day I took a taxi – about 45 minutes out of the city – to two parks which are owned by the same company and are across the road from each other. There’s also a huge water park under construction, and a large shopping, hotel and restaurant area, with even more being built. I was expecting this to just be a bit of a cred run, but what I found was actually a proper park resort.

Floraland

The taxi dropped me off at the entrance of the original older park, which for some reason had a kind of robot/transformer outside it.

SAM_2220_zps2ed4f6f1.jpg

SAM_2343_zpsf7a7bff7.jpg

SAM_2346_zpsf94af2b2.jpg

There were a bunch of different ticketing options, but all in Chinese, so I ended up just getting a basic entrance ticket for about £3. Obviously this didn’t include any rides, so I had to buy separate tickets once inside. I did notice later that other people were scanning prepaid cards though. The area directly inside the entrance was filled with more robots, seemingly as advertising.

SAM_2349_zps7cc82ae3.jpg

SAM_2352_zpsa95a8c9b.jpg

Some rides that I didn’t ride:

SAM_2353_zps37695931.jpg

SAM_2357_zps2e455edb.jpg

The park was much bigger than I’d expected, had absolutely loads of things to do, and was also pretty attractive. I think because I knew that there were only two coasters here, I was expecting a small, crappy park, but it really wasn’t.

SAM_2359_zps97e33dd6.jpg

SAM_2363_zps7c4905ff.jpg

SAM_2370_zps6364bcaa.jpg

These animatronic bears were **** ing terrifying though:

SAM_2362_zpsc630d6e9.jpg

This strumpet reminded me of Jordan for some reason:

SAM_2360_zps28c27ca1.jpg

Different areas had some lose theming to different countries.

SAM_2365_zps1e73345e.jpg

It’s like I was actually in the States.

SAM_2367_zps5e1e1a82.jpg

I’ll just chuck in a few more general pictures. I wasn’t riding anything at this stage since I didn’t really want to start buying individual tickets for things I’ve done a million times before.

SAM_2369_zps6b72d2db.jpg

SAM_2374_zps931a2b76.jpg

SAM_2372_zps3dda1589.jpg

SAM_2381_zps5e78e917.jpg

SAM_2391_zps04d3dc69.jpg

SAM_2386_zps52a361a6.jpg

SAM_2450_zpsb89eb189.jpg

I obviously did fork out for the first coaster of the day though, an amazing Golden Horse spinner.

SAM_2383_zps9ca2690f.jpg

SAM_2377_zps968c029a.jpg

They’ve ripped off Hong Kong Ocean Park’s mascot and font for their sea lion show.

SAM_2392_zpsd6da0173.jpg

Something else I didn’t do:

SAM_2397_zps375a3b7d.jpg

The far end of the park, away from the main entrance, was themed to Europe. Parts of it were actually really nice.

SAM_2396_zpsde5aae3f.jpg

SAM_2407_zps6e63f0ab.jpg

As at Happy Valley, there were people getting their wedding pictures done here. I should just point out that it’s a thing here to get you wedding pictures done before your actual wedding, usually in some romantic/tacky setting. It’s all just so fake and contrived and bears no resemblance to the actual wedding day at all.

SAM_2409_zps5520aaa2.jpg

But hey, who wouldn’t want to get married in “Venice”?

SAM_2410_zps702e5354.jpg

SAM_2404_zps8db5cc2c.jpg

A lot of the themed buildings contained rides and attractions. There were a few 3D/4D things, a mirror maze, a reptile house, an aquarium, a shooting dark ride and some other stuff I can’t remember. I wish I’d done a bit more stuff really, but like I said, I couldn’t be arsed with buying loads of separate tickets, and with the park being much bigger than I expected I was getting a bit pushed for time knowing that there was a second park to do.

SAM_2413_zpsbd260b4d.jpg

SAM_2414_zps31e49dc6.jpg

SAM_2401_zps25e02ac6.jpg

SAM_2415_zpsdbfdc83a.jpg

SAM_2417_zpsffe01e94.jpg

SAM_2421_zps5c1090e3.jpg

SAM_2439_zps36853da4.jpg

My favourite area was “Belgium”:

SAM_2427_zpsb336a879.jpg

SAM_2424_zps2a892618.jpg

SAM_2425_zps14884bdd.jpg

SAM_2423_zps4e9b5d27.jpg

SAM_2428_zps6f71d4c5.jpg

It was quite disturbing to realise that people had obviously been rubbing the arse of this baby quite frequently and vigorously:

SAM_2429_zps9573c1c0.jpg

This little whore has kissed so many people that she’s now got some kind of unsightly fungal infection:

SAM_2435_zpsbaf15c45.jpg

Serving some Gustav Klimt realness, just because:

SAM_2437_zps55a32301.jpg

Snow White being a whore and practically getting her minge out for the seven dwarfs. Let’s face it, we know they all had a go on her.

SAM_2436_zpsb20dcc8d.jpg

I moved back around to near the entrance of the park where most of the major rides were.

SAM_2446_zps95ddfe34.jpg

SAM_2448_zps4f4aa62b.jpg

I’d basically circled the whole place and finished up at the park’s second coaster, a knock-off SLC.

SAM_2371_zps3596275e.jpg

SAM_2462_zps44b5b604.jpg

SAM_2456_zpsc5a1133b.jpg

I’d only ridden one of these before, in Beijing back in 2007, and I didn’t find it that bad. I didn’t find this one all that bad either. Don’t get me wrong, it definitely wasn’t a good ride by any stretch of the imagination. I went for the back row to get the worst possible experience, and it was gross, but no worse than the rougher Vekoma models. It crawled through the second inversion, giving some weird, yet clearly unintentional hangtime.

SAM_2444_zps04f8d68b.jpg

SAM_2464_zps042fc308.jpg

Considering I’d expected to just pop in and out for the two creds, I ended up spending almost three hours here, and that’s without riding anything other than the coasters. It was much more of a proper park than I’d realised. I wish I’d been able to work out the ticketing system a bit better really.

Across the street and slightly down the road was the much newer “Floraland Continent Park” as RCDB has named it. I’m guessing that this is a translation from somewhere because the English sign still just calls it Floraland. It’s a totally separate park though, with separate admissions and ticketing.

The area right out front is clearly all very new, with lots of shops and restaurants.

SAM_2340_zpsf4136e13.jpg

There was also a huge ferris wheel separate from the park itself.

SAM_2221_zps1b52fcfc.jpg

The signage here was much clearer, so I managed to get an entrance ticket with an all-inclusive wristband. It seemed strange that the system was different here from the sister park right across the street. From what I could tell there wasn’t a “two-park” option, but maybe I just hadn’t noticed it. I’m not sure how that would work anyway given that this newer park used wristbands and the older park used prepaid RFID cards. I hadn’t noticed anyone with wristbands at the older park, so they certainly didn’t seem to be transferable.

SAM_2223_zps9ca39e33.jpg

I headed straight for the first coaster which was just to the right of the entrance, Meteor Coaster:

SAM_2226_zps9a89dd0b.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAM_2227_zps5c4dddbd.jpg

This was just bizarre; the park has only been open a year, so how can one of the coasters have been removed already?

Anyway, on to the next coaster, which was a Zamperla spinning thing. It’s the same model as the one at Flamingoland for anyone who’s done that.

SAM_2228_zps66ff4ec7.jpg

SAM_2229_zps60e92853.jpg

SAM_2231_zpsf68d22f5.jpg

Baby Coaster in the kiddy area was next:

SAM_2234_zps797933c7.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

SAM_2235_zps79958a87.jpg

BASTARDS!

The knockoff (I assume) Frisbee thing would’ve been left alone, but I had a wristband and two fewer coasters to ride, so what the hell.

SAM_2239_zps9df74729.jpg

The biggest coaster at the park, Cobra Roller Coaster, was a double loop, double corkscrew affair from Hebei Zhongye Metallsdjbfvwibiowd vnsjdbvjwov jdnfoe ltd.

SAM_2243_zpse79ae34f.jpg

I’d recently ridden a brand new one of these at Chuanlord Holiday Manor, and not really enjoyed it. The loops were just over the top ridiculously forceful, and the corkscrews were gross. This was the same.

SAM_2245_zps0bcdb491.jpg

The next coaster, which was similar to a Vekoma roller skater, was a lot more sedate.

SAM_2252_zpsa65e2d1d.jpg

SAM_2254_zps45210630.jpg

The whole park was very new, clean and attractive.

SAM_2257_zps79d7a833.jpg

SAM_2258_zps2822bf08.jpg

SAM_2267_zps45b646d3.jpg

SAM_2268_zps2d10198b.jpg

SAM_2302_zps674e0bfb.jpg

SAM_2306_zps7c62112d.jpg

SAM_2293_zps881e8cf6.jpg

There were some really strange “Keep off the Grass” signs around though.

SAM_2280_zpsbf4de668.jpg

SAM_2274_zps3e52d03e.jpg

The rapids were rubbish, but got you soaked thanks to stupid hoses spraying water directly at the boats. Every rapids ride I’ve done in China has done the same thing. Annoying.

SAM_2260_zps7ceda361.jpg

SAM_2262_zpscb147115.jpg

I didn’t try the Breakdance type thing. Pretty sure it was a knock-off as I don’t think they make them anymore. It’s the first knock-off I’ve seen if that’s the case.

SAM_2263_zps171ae9de.jpg

I did, however, try the Flying Circus ride.

SAM_2271_zps6f3b1453.jpg

Again, I don’t know if this was a knock-off or not. I guess I could’ve looked more closely, but just wasn’t thinking about it at the time. Regardless, it rode exactly the same as the other one I’d tried at Vidam Park in that it was f**king s**te.

SAM_2272_zpsee7e6b87.jpg

They had a ship-themed horror walk-through which was very reminiscent of the ship-themed horror walk-through at Chuanlord Holiday Manor. So much ripping off going on in China.

SAM_2259_zps71488a4d.jpg

SAM_2273_zpse9904a2c.jpg

I wouldn’t have bothered with this, but it’s a cred.

SAM_2290_zps6beeb124.jpg

SAM_2298_zpsbbee56d6.jpg

Golden Horse have got a few different water coaster out there now, but this one basically does the same thing as a Mack Supersplash. It goes up the lift onto a turntable, drops backwards and up to a second turntable, then turns around to go down the main drop forwards. It just doesn’t have the hill at the bottom of the drop.

SAM_2295_zps7e5eee88.jpg

SAM_2303_zpsfaf1e501.jpg

The last coaster I rode was another Golden Horse, this time a knock-off of a Zamperla MotoCoaster. I’ve ridden one of Zamperla’s models, and the Golden Horse version rides exactly the same; they’re both boring s**te.
SAM_2283_zpsd547039d.jpg

SAM_2288_zps1e7f7b16.jpg

Before I headed back into town I gave the massive ferris wheel a go. You can get some decent views of both the parks and the under-construction water park, but the windows were scratched and marked worse than a smackead’s inner arm.

SAM_2317_zps0af99658.jpg

SAM_2318_zps0389c8cd.jpg

SAM_2323_zps6e4e855f.jpg

SAM_2324_zpsfee04a28.jpg

SAM_2331_zpsf9e066a5.jpg

SAM_2322_zps3b7ce6f4.jpg

SAM_2335_zps80da48ff.jpg

SAM_2336_zps492b2898.jpg

Overall, I was really impressed with the place. A family could easily spend a weekend here, especially with the water park. I was expecting some really crappy parks and for it to be just a cred run. Despite only getting 7 coasters over the two parks when I was expecting 9, the parks themselves were much bigger and nicer than I’d thought they would be and I ended up having a decent, full day.

The whole resort is a bit out in the middle of nowhere though, so while it was easy to get a taxi out there, there were none around to get back into town. As is usual in China though, there are plenty of guys hanging around with cars offering rides. You end up paying around double what a taxi would cost, but it’s still ridiculously cheap when you compare it to Europe, and the cars are usually a lot nicer and cleaner than the taxis as well. The taxi out had cost me about £6, and the ride back about £10. Not bad for a 45 minute drive.

Re: Chengdu - Day 2: Floraland

I have to say that ferris wheel looks **** ing huge. Any idea how it compares to the London Eye in terms of size?

I always thought there was only ever one Flying Circus ever made.

Perhaps it is a knock off, or the one from Vidampark has been revamped and made it over there? I haven't heard a squeak about it for years.

The former is more likely.

I can't understand how you keep riding all this Chinese knock-off stuff and are still alive?!?!?

^^ Yeah, I really doubt that it's the one from Vidam Park. Everything else across the two parks, apart from the Zamperla spinner and maybe the shot tower, seemed to be Chinese made, so I'd imagine the flying circus is too. Having said that, it's very much a signature ride, so maybe they splashed out. It didn't ride any differently to the original model, but there again most of the "death trap" knockoffs don't. Really no idea.

^ I know. Dicing with death constantly since we know how dangerous they are. Killing people left right and centre these rides.

I started off the third day in Chengdu by taking a taxi down to Dream Land, which I’d had in my head to be another of those small crappy amusement parks shoved into a corner of a regular park, based on the fact that the name Dream Land doesn’t come up if you search it on Google maps; you have to find it as part of a larger lake resort.

I was wrong though.

Dream Land

SAM_2553_zpsdaf7bb84.jpg

The park was actually huge, split into two sections by a road that cuts across it. There’s a tunnel linking the two parts. It was free to enter and pay-per-ride, meaning that even though there was absolutely loads there, I just did the coasters.

I’ll just shove a few of the other rides in here to give you the idea.

SAM_2558_zps89a68249.jpg

SAM_2560_zps1eb95427.jpg

SAM_2620_zpsb4590256.jpg

SAM_2609_zpse268a6af.jpg

SAM_2608_zpsca898a21.jpg

SAM_2585_zps7b28e2dc.jpg

SAM_2700_zpsc6d40574.jpg

SAM_2673_zpscf22093d.jpg

SAM_2651_zps7b0f1158.jpg

SAM_2638_zps7169fcbd.jpg

A lot of the rides had blueprints as information boards, which could probably be used as evidence in a copyright trial.

SAM_2598_zpsc889b190.jpg

SAM_2603_zps382d42c5.jpg

I didn’t see this running, but I think it’s one of those small drop towers that tilts before dropping, like those at Tripsdrill and Skyline Park (and probably a bunch of others I don’t know about).

SAM_2626_zps89292ea0.jpg

Onto some coasters then. There was a kiddy worm thing. Yay.

SAM_2623_zpscfa7c263.jpg

SAM_2624_zps062a4d97.jpg

A Golden Horse water coaster, different again from the others I’d ridden, which is weird since pretty much everything else from them is just exact clones. This was the third model/layout I’d seen of these now.

SAM_2574_zps27d1222f.jpg

SAM_2567_zps7d91874a.jpg

SAM_2595_zpscea7eaf2.jpg

SAM_2677_zpsd19699c2.jpg

This next one was a new type for me. Well, almost. I’ve done the one that shows up at Hyde Park for Winter Wonderland, but never a Golden Horse knockoff.

SAM_2556_zps5672d1ff.jpg

SAM_2557_zps2581bd17.jpg

SAM_2688_zps2b625118.jpg

SAM_2685_zpsb283f8d1.jpg

From what I can remember, it rode exactly the same as the original model, and was actually pretty fun. It seemed to miss a trim brake near the end though, so really slammed hard into the final break run. They also use the fab onride photo system of having someone standing under the ride (Happy Valley Shenzhen and Beijing even used to do this) and then running to the photo booth with the memory card. You then get a laminated piece of s**t onride photo for the princely sum of £1.

SAM_2694_zpsa5f7feef.jpg

Like a lot of parks in China, they had craploads of massive goldfish that you could buy food for and feed. The food stalls also had a variety of pets for sale because impulse buying a pet while spending a day at an amusement park is a wonderful idea.

SAM_2587_zps5f31bc52.jpg

The final coaster here was just your typical Jungle Mouse.

SAM_2592_zpsb4db8098.jpg

If you’re going to have a mouse coaster though, you need a suitable, officially-licensed character to sell it.

SAM_2594_zps0d97a796.jpg

I hate to think how much they’ve had to fork out on licensing deals at this park.

SAM_2707_zps4e4c4aa2.jpg

SAM_2682_zpsf3dd3870.jpg

SAM_2555_zps34f10336.jpg

SAM_2606_zps66b6cd89.jpg

SAM_2569_zps038e6fc2.jpg

There may not have been any real quality coasters or rides, despite there being a lot of them, but I really liked this park. They’ve gone to a real effort, and it actually had a really decent go at theming and had a nice atmosphere.

SAM_2561_zps7cb396f6.jpg

SAM_2564_zps56f0fe60.jpg

SAM_2566_zps9bb2c67c.jpg

SAM_2615_zpsaed045dc.jpg

SAM_2580_zps3ab14f49.jpg

SAM_2576_zpsf0ca9beb.jpg

SAM_2568_zpsbfa7f613.jpg

SAM_2618_zps9be3bf46.jpg

SAM_2646_zpsbe86f192.jpg

SAM_2642_zpsf6034079.jpg

SAM_2628_zpsf42ea26e.jpg

SAM_2654_zps911b5f4c.jpg

SAM_2668_zpscf5444e2.jpg

SAM_2636_zpsbb3f071d.jpg

I’ll just leave you with this lovely view from one of the park’s many bridges:

SAM_2635_zps534683e3.jpg

And the view you get if you take one step back from that:

SAM_2634_zps0def97b3.jpg

Even though I only rode the four coasters, I spent a good couple of hours wandering around this place. I actually wish it hadn’t been free entry, as I probably would have ridden a lot more. You could easily spend a half day or more here if you weren’t shelling out for individual rides.

I had a couple of creds to mop up. There were, again, no taxis around, so I paid some random bloke to drive me to the next place.

Cujin Park

This was another city park with an amusement area, only this whole place was a total craphole. Whereas most of these types of places are actually really nice parks, this place was just really crummy and unpleasant.

SAM_2711_zps77546804.jpg

SAM_2744_zps0fc32168.jpg

I think it was just in a s**ty area of Chengdu, which was a bit of a shame since I’d really liked the place up until this point. Here’s the crappy amusement park area for your enjoyment:

SAM_2741_zps1a2ba3d4.jpg

SAM_2714_zpsddd8f89e.jpg

SAM_2735_zpse4a98840.jpg

SAM_2734_zps3d03af55.jpg

They (obviously) just had the one kiddy coaster here. +1

SAM_2715_zps3ab4bc75.jpg

SAM_2716_zps2999768c.jpg

SAM_2732_zps18ee9d46.jpg

They also had the most dodgy-looking knockoff top spin I’d ever seen, so I had to give that a go.

SAM_2724_zps7bcd9ed8.jpg

It was utterly vile. After I’d ridden it I watched the next cycle. It went upside-down 30 times. It did 15 full flips, and 15 of those half flip things where it doesn’t quite make it all the way around. GROSS.

A quick taxi ride got me to the final park of the Chengdu portion of my trip.

Xinhua Park

This place, as a whole was pretty fab. It was a big, lively city park with loads going on and a decently-sized amusement park that wasn’t a total craphole. It was also near a big, yet uninspiring, tower that I didn’t bother to get any closer to.

SAM_2822_zps8ed7920f.jpg

SAM_2745_zpsc67b7205.jpg

SAM_2754_zpsaba0ce3a.jpg

SAM_2753_zpsa3bc560c.jpg

SAM_2758_zpse28c1140.jpg

I want to BE this guy when I grow up:

SAM_2746_zps60fa317e.jpg

There were absolutely loads of people watching this bint singing, and bringing her bunches of flowers that were being sold off to the side, obviously by her “people”. Christ knows why as she sounded like a cat getting raped by a donkey.

SAM_2752_zps754b00a7.jpg

Some other stuff going on in the park included dancing

SAM_2779_zps5f65ad5a.jpg

SAM_2787_zpsb2fa56fb.jpg

another singer performing “Threnody to a Cat's Anal Virginity”

SAM_2786_zpse31f6608.jpg

and hitting a spinning top with a piece of string on a stick while obscenely shirtless.

SAM_2785_zpsbd3ab7e9.jpg

There were a load of different paths to the amusement park area, so I didn’t see the proper entrance until later.

SAM_2792_zpsb50d0ae9.jpg

Some rides then:

SAM_2762_zpsbb60dd11.jpg

SAM_2774_zps4ca776d8.jpg

SAM_2769_zps60380004.jpg

SAM_2777_zps5bdcc0d3.jpg

They had the same log flume type that I’ve only seen once before in a park in Guangzhou. It was hard to see because of the trees, but each drop has a dry curve to it before it hits the straight drop into the water.

SAM_2782_zpsb62976bd.jpg

SAM_2788_zps2860ff9b.jpg

The sole coaster here was the exact same model that I’d ridden at Cujin Park less than an hour before. It would also be my 800th credit, though I didn’t know it at the time until I was back at the hotel that night counting up my Chengdu creds.

SAM_2764_zps64da8fbd.jpg

SAM_2771_zps1816279e.jpg

SAM_2773_zpsd8e05c7c.jpg

I paid £2 (£2!!!!) for the ice house, which was smaller than a munchkin’s coffin and with bugger all in it.

SAM_2810_zpsce71a881.jpg

SAM_2814_zpsa4330750.jpg

SAM_2819_zps543506a8.jpg

I also paid £2 for the aquarium, mostly out of curiosity as I’d seen a few around by this point, but hadn’t been in any.

SAM_2796_zps14a21ce6.jpg

SAM_2797_zpse2160ff5.jpg

SAM_2800_zps6a492643.jpg

They had a Chinese giant salamander.

SAM_2805_zps14a2aa49.jpg

A crocodile.

SAM_2802_zps9c226cdb.jpg

And two huge, and clearly diseased, turtles sharing a tiny tank with a few sharks.

SAM_2807_zps2e608a93.jpg

Not pleasant, which came as no surprise really, but put a bit of a downer on an otherwise pretty interesting city park.

I had planned to get a taxi back to the hotel after this, but on the way saw this and got the driver to just drop me off so that I could have a look.

SAM_2483_zps15aa071c.jpg

It was a really nice street full of restaurants and shops selling tat. I’m fairly sure there’s nothing original about the buildings, but I’m glad I stopped off and had a quick wander as it was lovely.

SAM_2485_zpsf4c281a4.jpg

SAM_2486_zps5ee0af1d.jpg

SAM_2488_zpsf8aca873.jpg

SAM_2493_zpsf9bd6f21.jpg

SAM_2496_zps943108ee.jpg

SAM_2544_zps6fbc521c.jpg

SAM_2545_zpsb320c03a.jpg

At the end of the road was this pagoda at the entrance to a park.

SAM_2497_zps0298ae6e.jpg

SAM_2517_zpsbfbf960c.jpg

It turns out the place was called Baihuatan Park, and it was really nice.

SAM_2516_zps4b26cfef.jpg

There was also a sign for a “Children’s Playground”, which is usually a translation of CRED, so I had to obviously have a look. There were a bunch of kiddy rides:

SAM_2504_zps5370e5ed.jpg

SAM_2505_zps63e3a8d4.jpg

SAM_2507_zps88db1f0f.jpg

SAM_2506_zpsde7be70e.jpg

There was also some fish feeding. I haven’t mentioned or shown this yet, but I saw a lot of this around this area of China. People pay for a baby’s bottle, on a stick, filled with fish food which they then feed fish with.

SAM_2513_zpsfdfbcd52.jpg

SAM_2512_zpsb7563d8b.jpg

Again everywhere, there was another pool where you can catch your own:

SAM_2508_zpsf51a9d97.jpg

But, unfortunately, there was no kiddy cred to be seen. It wasn’t really a disappointment as I never expected there to be one – I just thought I’d be having a walk round a regular park – but it would have been nice.

Walking back up the same street, there was another park off down a side alley. This time called Chengdu Cultural Park. Again it was a really nice park with a “Children’s Playground”.

SAM_2525_zpsa3a36734.jpg

SAM_2532_zpsed10bcf8.jpg

SAM_2531_zps923baad8.jpg

SAM_2534_zpsf408a211.jpg

SAM_2535_zps5d6b7438.jpg

SAM_2539_zps475e1642.jpg

SAM_2540_zps262400e7.jpg

And the exact same combination of fish feeding and catching pools.

SAM_2527_zps27df9f3d.jpg

SAM_2528_zpscd0b3d3c.jpg

I have to say the fish catching in this part of China was much better than in places I’ve seen in the south. You had to use an actual rod and bait – there was some skill involved – rather than just wave a net through a goldfish-saturated paddling pool to catch your new pet for the next half an hour before you chuck it in a bush.

Again, no cred. Again, no biggie since it wasn’t expected anyway. After this brief detour I got another taxi and this time actually did get back to the hotel.

Re: Chengdu - Day 3: Dream Land and Mopping Up

Christ. Thought this trip report couldn't get any more depressing than seeing those little turtles and key rings, and then up turns a picture of a rabbit in a cage not even big enough for it to turn round in. wtf is wrong with people?

Re: Chengdu - Day 3: Dream Land and Mopping Up

The last day in Chengdu wasn’t a park day, but I’m going to stick it in here anyway because it was awesome.

Just outside the city is the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. . It was always going to be an “if I’ve got time” thing since although pandas are amazing, I’ve seen loads of them now. This place was on a completely different level though. Chengdu is in Sichuan Province, which is one of the only places to still have wild pandas. The research base has managed to breed craploads of the things. It’s an absolutely huge place.

SAM_2831_zps8eaa35f7.jpg

SAM_2832_zpsecdb4360.jpg

SAM_2834_zps460c6bd3.jpg

I got there soon after it opened in the morning, partly because it’s a really popular tourist attraction and partly because the animals are more active at that time of day. There are loads of different enclosures, some holding solitary adult pandas since they’re solitary animals in the wild.

SAM_2843_zps3961a238.jpg

SAM_2844_zps55a8d9f2.jpg

SAM_2892_zps17aacdb3.jpg

SAM_2908_zpsbdc4d267.jpg

SAM_2890_zpse7d32442.jpg

There were also enclosures with groups of sub-adult pandas.

SAM_2848_zpsd479d301.jpg

SAM_2849_zps15b7e53b.jpg

SAM_2850_zps73ec2769.jpg

SAM_2851_zps9ca07594.jpg

SAM_2854_zps471212ae.jpg

SAM_2855_zps8c6ddb37.jpg

Then there were enclosures with mothers and baby pandas.

SAM_2895_zps3562127c.jpg

SAM_2864_zps4779c3c1.jpg

SAM_2869_zps00d43acb.jpg

SAM_2870_zps0822776d.jpg

SAM_2872_zps76dd771f.jpg

SAM_2879_zpsba7e4f39.jpg

SAM_2882_zps59666976.jpg

SAM_2898_zpsb9a54234.jpg

SAM_2916_zps5c6fb6fd.jpg

They don’t advertise that it’s possible to do this, but for a “donation”, you can actually hold a baby panda. I know that this trip report has been pretty low on animal rights, so I want to make it clear that this is all done extremely professionally and clearly with the well-being of the panda itself being a priority.

You have to sign up into a group – I think there were only five groups available – meaning that only ten people at a time were brought into the area with the pandas. You have to wear a surgical-style gown and even cover your shoes with plastic things to make sure that no germs are brought in. Each person in the group then gets to hold the panda for a couple of minutes.

The panda just sits there quite happily chewing away on pieces of bamboo that has had honey smeared on the ends. They swap the pandas out between groups, so the animal is only being handled for about 20 minutes at a time. To thank you for your “donation”, you get a donation certificate, a framed photo, a stuffed panda, a panda pin, a magazine, and, bizarrely, a Pierre Cardin tie.

To be fair, the money does go directly into funding the research base; it’s not like you’re just greasing some zoo keeper’s hand to have a hold of a panda. At the same time, it’s hardly just a give a couple of quid situation either. If you don’t pay the “donation” fee, you don’t get near a panda.

Anyway:

SAM_2922_zps6a240078.jpg

SAM_2923_zpsfc1c2f77.jpg

10171900_10154059691160188_7050234344297644466_n.jpg

As well as the giant pandas, the base is also home to the world’s largest captive population of red pandas. There were numerous enclosures, but the best one was an absolutely enormous walkthrough one. It was absolutely massive, with pathways and walkways going all through it. As soon as you got away from the entrance, you didn’t feel like you were in an enclosure at all; it was more like just taking a walk through the forest.

SAM_2977_zps1e6e6fb6.jpg

SAM_2973_zps51cde2a4.jpg

SAM_2941_zps278dd808.jpg

SAM_2936_zps019a7146.jpg

SAM_2975_zps9b15ebb4.jpg

The walkways had low fences to keep people from just wandering wherever they wanted inside the habitat, but these fences had numerous gaps in them to allow the animals to have completely free movement.

SAM_2966_zps00445b82.jpg

SAM_2965_zps5297e852.jpg

SAM_2959_zpsd8bf300c.jpg

SAM_2967_zps0bb2b152.jpg

SAM_2971_zpsbcb35530.jpg

There are signs up warning that they can bite and to keep at least 3 metres away from them. This one didn’t seem to understand the rules and came to have a sniff at my bag of crap from the earlier “donation”.

SAM_2970_zpsf5524d38.jpg

Suck it Lorikeet Lagoon!

And that’s the end of my visit to Chengdu. After spending about five hours or so at the base, I headed back into town to pick up my bags from the hotel and then got a train to the next city, which I’ll cover in a separate report later.

Loving the report Gavin, reminds me of my time in China last year. I know exactly what you mean about the excitement of finding creds in the kiddies parks! I wish I had gone to Chengdu now, especially for the pandas. Seeing as your based in HK, have you learnt any Mandarin? Do you find it easy enough to get around with English, I don't know much about Chengdu and if English is widely spoken there. Where I lived near Zhongshan it was a miracle to meet anyone who spoke English!