CF Lives 2023... and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Going to be frank with you. With attendance numbers decreasing and other groups offering ‘package’ trips, it’s very likely that this 20th anniversary year of CF Lives will be the last as we know it. We realise that a meet up for a meet up sake isn’t popular like it was. Goons rightly want value for their time and money. That’s why Paultons 2022 and it’s perks did well, and why Blackpool with nothing on the table was scrapped. The reality is myself and most of the current team are struggling to find spare time to make Lives appealing and to give the experience we’d love you to have. There won’t be an itinerary as such moving forward, but more casual meets for special events such as Thorpe’s new coaster or Nemesis 2.0. However, if there is somebody out there reading this who would like to have a crack at regular CF Lives beyond 2023, please do message me and we’ll work something out.

CF Live organisers offered any perks at face value and endeavoured to make the events as inclusive and fun for everybody who attended, whilst doing it all for free and in their spare time. Sincere and goony thanks to the team members who have taken on a Live and made them a success. Concocted from Tom(atron)’s initial idea, I’m incredibly proud of the legacy of friendships, relationships, families, marriages, and inspiration for other groups, that CF Lives created.

Downbeat stuff aside, let’s move on to this year.

We intend to start this season how we started back in 2003, with a trip to Thorpe Park in April. Serena will be announcing details of this Live very soon!

We’ll be closing the season out in usual tradition with Chessington. The Chessie website hasn’t been updated with new season dates yet, but I’ll confirm it when they do.

Between the two I’d love to capture good times with as many of you as possible, so open forum – where would you like to go and when? Happy for sensible suggestions but please bear in mind I won’t be able to please everybody! I'm only one man! I do want to do Asterix for Toutatis, I’d love to do Blackpool again (if Valhalla opens!) and I must get my ass to Liseberg and Grona. I’d love to get the dates firmed up by the end of January, so give me your ideas!

IfC

Bentleya

Mega Poster
I completely understand where you are coming from Ian, I’m a busy man and find the gatherings with more on offer a lot more appealing for the very limited days I’m able to allocate to being a goon.

That being said I’m keen for the day in Thorpe in April and Chessington later in the year to get on the new coaster.

In regards to the open forum, the following is on my rader……
I'm looking at going to the Liseberg for the 3rd June with another coaster group and possibly if others were interested, heading to Gröna Land on the Thursday beforehand and then Kolmården on the Friday. I’m happy to do all the driving in between the parks if others were interested in making it a thing.

I would like to head to Asterix for Toutatis and tick a couple of other parks off the list at the same time as well as maybe the 2x parks in Madrid after the summer.

I’m unable to do anything in March, anything from 5th June till 11th August; so I would need to fit in everything around these dates.

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
It would be a bit of a shame if the international Lives were to become a thing of past. But I get it, there's a ton to organize, plenty of uncertainties to account for and not enough return.

As an international member (e.g. not from the UK or the states) from a country with few fellow minded people, I'm definitely all for any attempt on setting up a forum for more improptu theme park trips or meet-ups. That is if groups that are already set on going somewhere aren't against the idea of inviting someone new. 😁

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Sad to hear this.
Pre-covid the live dates were the first place I looked before planning my trips, but having kids simply meant I couldn't join as many as I wanted.
It's not always about the perks tbh, it's more about having a fun group to spend the day with at a park you haven't been to before, imo anyway. The reason Blackpool failed is more likely due to the lack of Valhalla opening than anything else, as it's a long way to go to look at the closed ride.

Anyway, I would love to go to Asterix this year with CF, and Madrid is on my definite hit list this year, been chatting to a few others on here and an autumn/winter trip is more than likely for that one.
As per usual, Thorpe and Chessie will depend on dates, but am planning to actually go to both this year.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Can't add much other than echoing @DelPiero - Madrid is high on my list and a Belgium and/or France trip too (Waliplopsterix II? :D).

We have an extra bank holiday early May for the King's coronation which seems an ideal opportunity for a European trip of some sort.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Can't add much other than echoing @DelPiero - Madrid is high on my list and a Belgium and/or France trip too (Waliplopsterix II? :D).

We have an extra bank holiday early May for the King's coronation which seems an ideal opportunity for a European trip of some sort.
Waliplopsterix II would be the dream! But I think a lot of people picked up the new Belgium creds over the last couple of years so might not get enough interest :(

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Ooo, Madrid. Ooo, KCIII bank holiday.
These may be two unconnected comments but for those of us that have talked about it, our feeling was that Madrid was a better option later in the year since we don't know when the new cred will open yet and the parks are open throughout the autumn and winter months. :)

Reactions: Ian

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Also agree. Asterix confirmed planned opening for Toutatis on 8th April, no word from Warner yet right? Both the Madrid parks typically are open later than the other European parks.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ahhh, this is sad news, especially as I only managed to get on one Live, and had hoped to do more this year. But I completely understand the viewpoint.

I see no reason why I can't go to the Thorpe or Chessington get-togethers.

If there are gatherings of CF-ers doing Madrid, Asterix (with or without Belgium), Sweden or Finland, I'd certainly be interested!

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Waliplopsterix II would be the dream! But I think a lot of people picked up the new Belgium creds over the last couple of years so might not get enough interest :(
I’m sure there are few out there, including myself whom haven’t been able to venture through you in the past couple of years.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Bummed to hear about this. Since my first in '08, CF Lives evolved and strengthened my enthusiasm and allowed me to make lifelong friends. It wasn't fun learning about the scale back of Lives a couple years ago once the pandemic hit and this is no different. I'm glad that at least stateside we could pick up the torch with Buzzed Bars Coaster Club effectively holding the same format of events, but it is certainly not the same. I certainly hope these last few events are a hit!

Snoo

The Legend
Shame to see what has happened over the last few years. Same with Marc.. going to my first Live in 2006.. it's shaped a lot of my coaster fandom today meeting up with some of my still life long friends. My involvement has waned heavily due to my own projects in the last few years but if we did something stateside, may be worthwhile to go to celebrate 20 years.

If not, been a hell of a ride!

Lord-Summerisle

Roller Poster
I completely understand where you are coming from Ian, I’m a busy man and find the gatherings with more on offer a lot more appealing for the very limited days I’m able to allocate to being a goon.

That being said I’m keen for the day in Thorpe in April and Chessington later in the year to get on the new coaster.

In regards to the open forum, the following is on my rader……
I'm looking at going to the Liseberg for the 3rd June with another coaster group and possibly if others were interested, heading to Gröna Land on the Thursday beforehand and then Kolmården on the Friday. I’m happy to do all the driving in between the parks if others were interested in making it a thing.

I would like to head to Asterix for Toutatis and tick a couple of other parks off the list at the same time as well as maybe the 2x parks in Madrid after the summer.

I’m unable to do anything in March, anything from 5th June till 11th August; so I would need to fit in everything around these dates.
Am Hoping to do the same trip to Liseburg and fitting in Gröna Lund and Kolmården while we are over. Just been looking this morning and Kolmâden have put their opening dates up: they are not open weekdays in March or the 1st/2nd June. I'd been planning on Liseburg Friday & Sat, then Grona Lund and Kolmâden Monday 5th/Tues 6th

Tomatron

Giga Poster
It's amazing that the Lives have kept going for 20 years and though they may not be that often after this year, hopefully I'll be able to make it one or two in 2023.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
I echo pretty much everything that’s been said. I’ve not done many lives but they have always been great fun and everyone has been extremely welcomin g
If anything is happening opening between first week of July and mid august I would love to come. As that’s the time I’ll be back in the uk this year as ever if anyone is in the uae would be happy to meet up and show you around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster
Like basically everybody else, I agree that it's sad to hear that Lives will be no more.
I have only done 2 myself but enjoyed both immensely.

Ever since I first joined CF, I've always been sold on the social aspect. I think it's what made CF stand out from the pack, especially back in the day with the quirky CF Live youtube videos, in-jokes and humorous trip reports.

I'd love to see CF lives come back with a (steel) vengeance in the future. I personally am not too bothered about perks, nor do I need all aspects of a trip to be pre-organised on my behalf. Maybe a more casual approach would work these days, creds, drinks and a good old chin wag.

Status
Not open for further replies.