What's new

Cedar Point | Valravn | B&M Dive Machine

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Cedar Point Closes Good Time Theatre-B&M Dive Coaster 20

Guess it depends on what they do with it. While it would most likely be short, a great theme could do wonders. Although, Sheikra and Griffon didn't FEEL short.. even though they technically were.

KoasterEv

Roller Poster

Definitely. CP is usually all about record- breakers (as you probably already know :p), So I'm just hoping if they go with the Dive Machine idea, it's out of the seemingly cookie-cutter designs they have been using for the 200 ft+ layouts. :

Intricks

Strata Poster

So some news has surfaced that helps point to a coaster. The Dodgems and the Antique Cars are moving.

The best news of all though?

MAVERICK IS GETTING THE SOFT RESTRAINTS!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah. Some good news coming out of CP's Winter Chill Out according to Point Buzz with Turnpike Cars and Sir Rub-a-Dub's being removed from the park, Kiddy Karz moving to Planet Snoopy in the spot previously occupied by the gazebo, the Dodgems and Calypso moving near the Ferris Wheel (Calypso also renamed to Tiki Twirl) and Maverick getting I305's soft OTSRs.

Here's concept art for the new Wicked Twisted area that they posted on their Facebook page

1378578_10153108943661796_7032389846247588075_n.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Apparently Cedar Point worked in a humorous slide photo of Outlaw Run as they were reviewing new additions to the park. You can take this as 100% confirmation that Cedar Point is building an RMC, without any question or reservation. :wink:

Also good to hear about the new Maverick restraints. I never found fault with the old OTSRs, but I am taller than most. If this gives a better ride for all, then good.

So to do a quick recap of how all the ride removals and relocations impacts the current park layout:

Here is a mock-up of the Dodgems, Tiki Twirl, and Kiddy Karz (junior Dodgems) relocation to the Wicked Twister Midway. Also included a faux line of incorporating the Kiddy Karz into Planet Snoopy, though we are only talking about one ride being added just outside of the main Planet Snoopy area.

Screen_Shot_2015-02-21_at_6.24.02_PM.jpg

[Edit - I am getting mixed reports on the Dodgems location. The computer rendering shows it being located roughly as pictured above - however others are saying it will sit on the old Sir Tubs spot. Anyone have insight?]

As for how much room is now opened up around the old theater location? Here is an overview. I also include question on the staff dorms across the street, which are rumored to also be on the chopping block.

Screen_Shot_2015-02-21_at_6.24.18_PM.jpg

It's also worth pointing out that Calypso has already been quite a traveler around the park. Of most recent recollection, Calypso sat on the Main Midway, right next to the Pirate Ride and Saw Mill Race. (I believe it sat at another location even earlier - next to Iron Dragon where Wildcat used to stand)

10407434_10152478246501463_6527747926338654700_n.jpg

546026_3059400403355_1748733320_n.jpg

10557044_10203340989297939_8488517878566999690_o.jpg

It was located back next to Blue Streak in 1994 to make room for Raptor. The ornate theming was also stripped down to the Calypso we know today.

223190_10150258336363284_3547857_n.jpg

10505372_10152276536901463_6745590085515864480_n.jpg

As it now takes on the "Tiki Twirl" name, those hardcore CPers will know there was an earlier spinning ride by the same name. It stood where the Matterhorn flat ride is now located. This older Tiki Twirl however was a separate ride from Calypso, with Cedar Point having two of the same ride type in the park (both rides were added in 1970). This ride was eventually removed in 1984. It will be fun to see the theme come back!

thumb__t2ec16n__yue9s6ndmq2bsg_q41cs___60_57.jpg

10848832_10152535273396463_3864586454354824607_o.jpg

CedarFair3025

Roller Poster

I've heard that the pass holder ride nights calendar for 2015 was revealed. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

May 8, Friday night, the same day as the annual Ohio State Day. It wasn't announced what ride would be featured, but I'd imagine Rougarou.

So season pass holders can get an exclusive ride on Rougarou... after an entire day of park goers riding Rougarou. :wink:

CedarFair3025

Roller Poster

I meant like how they had ride nights after hours on some Wednesday and Friday nights throughout summer 2014. The ride open each night rotated between TTD, Maverick, Magnum, GK, and MF (Raptor like once). Does anyone have the 2015 calendar for these if it was released?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Ah gotcha. Nope, doesn't seem that schedule is out yet for this season.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Here is a higher res photo of the midway released by Cedar Point:

WickedTwisterMidway_webbanner.jpg

Snoo

The Legend

I doubt that many people will visit the Dodgems.. unless you count the queueline which is always enormous. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ It can be the longest wait of your day sometimes!

I give CP a thumbs up for any rides that they touch and do not remove. And I give them an additional thumbs up for removing the Turnpike Cars, as they are the most vile thing for parents to climb into with their kids.

CedarFair3025

Roller Poster

Also, don't forget that just because the other cars aren't being removed that a coaster could not be built above them as well as the cleared land!!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Ok, so on Cedar Point's YouTube page, they recently uploaded a video about meetings and such. May not seem like anything of any importance, but about 20 seconds in, they briefly talk about Rougarou, and that it's Cedar Point's First floorless coaster. First. Meaning more to come. I sense teasing. Floorless Dive Coaster teasing. Here's the video. The part I'm talking about is 20 seconds in:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcFyRMxfZsQ[/youtube]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Or it could be... the park's first floorless coaster. :wink:

Cedar Point loves touting their roller coasters are world firsts/tallest/fastest. Except Rougarou is not any of those, outside of the park's first floorless coaster.

I wouldn't read into one subtitle on one promo video for a picnic area.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

GuyWithAStick said:
Ok, so on Cedar Point's YouTube page, they recently uploaded a video about meetings and such. May not seem like anything of any importance, but about 20 seconds in, they briefly talk about Rougarou, and that it's Cedar Point's First floorless coaster. First. Meaning more to come. I sense teasing. Floorless Dive Coaster teasing.

To be fair, how would they have phrased it if they weren't planning on adding another?

"This will be Cedar Point's only floorless coaster ever"?
"This will be a floorless coaster at Cedar Point"?
"This will be Cedar Point's new floorless coaster"?

There's really no other way to phrase it if they want to present a new coaster type that's unique in the park for the moment, but they're not excluding the possibility of adding more in the future if the ride type proves popular or if some new sweet concept pops up that they simply must buy when they see it, without using a lot of unnecessary words.

"Cedar Point's first floorless coaster" simply is the most efficient way to say it. I wouldn't look too much into the spelling, even if it does happen that a floorless Dive Machine is in the cards.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Alright, I guess I'm over-speculating.

I feel so stupid now...

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Ehhh, don't worry about it. Afterall, you are talking to the guy who was ABSOLUTELY certain Maverick was going to be a zacspin. :roll:

bmac

Giga Poster

Hyde said:
Ehhh, don't worry about it. Afterall, you are talking to the guy who was ABSOLUTELY certain Maverick was going to be a zacspin. :roll:

At least you didn't get placed at the ride you thought by all means would be removed the year before you started working there :p

Now I don't want Bizarro to leave Great Adventure by any means.

XLR8R

Roller Poster

Even though I'm a bit late to this discussion about the Winter Chill announcements, I will say that these announcements were fantastic, in my opinion.

While I was never bothered by Maverick's original restraints, the new vest restraints will greatly improve the ride for me.

It's great to see Turnpike Cars leaving as the ride was rather useless as it was in a rather awkward location, was located adjacent to another (much better) car ride, and had very uncomfortable cars.

The relocation of Dodgem and Calypso is really nice to see as they are both classics (worth saving) and it was a great move to tie it in with the Wicked Twister Midway renovation.

Now, I may sound a bit fanboy-ish by these comments, though all of these announcements are some of the best news from Cedar Point in the last few years.