What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I know I'm a bit late to commenting on the video (I don't know, I might've commented on it before), but I was kind of expecting a bit of floater on that first hill, but it's looking like an insane ejector hill! My first ride will be in the back row for sure!

codeman94

Mega Poster
It looks to me like the GIF is sped up.... or more specifically, the frame sequence likely isn't complete. It seems to progress faster than actual footage should. I just don't think it can cover that much ground that fast.

--or maybe it IS missing frames, but its not sped up, and the missing frames create an illusion of the elapsed time being sped up, but it isnt.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
^It's most likely missing frames. GIFs tend to remove a few frames of animation (of a video, anyways) and they really affect Roller Coaster POVs to make it smaller.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You know the old adage, "Don't judge a coaster by it's GIF." ;)

GIFs are the lowest form of video format out there (which is why they're great for messaging because of their small file size). You are not going to extract any real meaning or sense of speed from that tweet. In other words, take it for what it is, a teaser.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
You know the old adage, "Don't judge a coaster by it's GIF." ;)

GIFs are the lowest form of video format out there (which is why they're great for messaging because of their small file size). You are not going to extract any real meaning or sense of speed from that tweet. In other words, take it for what it is, a teaser.
**** you. If I don't buffer mid drop and see pixalated, it's false advertising.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
****. me. up.

There was also a great anecdote from Alan Schilke at the Twisted Timbers Media Day on the design of Steel Vengeance, shared on PointBuzz:
A friend of mine that went to Twisted Timbers media day asked Alan Schilke how the second lap of Steel Vengeance is designed to be, and Schilke said it was designed to “throw around the rider and make it unmarathonable” making the second half have brutal airtime “up to -2 Gs.” All I’m gonna say is if that’s true then the concerns of the second half pacing shouldn’t exist.

X: Uknown

Mega Poster
-2 G's?! That's crazy! Out of curiosity, what's the maximum amount of negative G's you can have on a coaster without killing people?

Lofty

CF Legend
Don't really know how many times we have to explain that POV's don't really give a good concept of speed. Legitimately.

Also, I am so curious as to what Storm Chaser runs at because that airtime is actually painful..?

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh wow! -2G is forceful! Are there any coasters with more forceful airtime than that, or will Cedar Point be clinching yet another record for "the world's most forceful airtime"?

Dar

Hyper Poster
After more searching than I'm happy to admit to, I've managed to find a free* copy of the ISO standards for rides. According to presentation by Vekoma that I came across in my searching, the ISO standard is the same as ASTM & EN standards.

It has some graphs for maximum G's over time in different axes. According to that, the max recommended negative g-force is -2G for 1 second, then -1.5G for up to 4 seconds. There is a paragraph above the graphs explaining how the graphs are only recommended for healthy riders, riding once then a period of 10-15 minutes before another go, and no more than 3 rides in succession without at least a 15 minute break depending on how they feel and how healthy they are. So that's probably what Mr. Schilke meant by not "marathon-able"?

I've not put any figures or quotes in, because I'm not sure of the legality of the document and I don't want any unnecessary grief! Happy to share if someone thinks it's OK to though

(*the official, final standard varies from £80 - over a hundred, so I've had to settle for a draft but these don't tend to change massively before becoming finalised)