What's new

Cedar Point 2012 Coaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an American amusement park?

Don't hold your breath. :wink:

Really? I thought it was "we arent gonna upgrade all major attractions to a proper braking system and when it rains all rides need to be shut down regardless of having said newer braking system on those rides" policy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

^ Yes, all of the roller coasters can run in the rain. However, Maverick's opening day in 2007 was a total downpour, but they opened the ride the masses in a contradictory fashion. Though that same day Magnum did have an accident sliding through the brakes which was partially blamed on the weather. :roll:

But the reason for CP's rain policy is rider comfort. You'd be surprised how many guests complain about adverse weather at Cedar Point. Rather than take the risk, CP hedge's their bets and shuts down rides in rain, maintaining the mantra that the park "never fully closes", with shows and arcade entertainment always being available.

Ben said:
Then maybe their 2012 attraction should be visitors who aren't pussy-ass cowards?

I KNOW! Those 12 year olds who complain about rain at 93mph.. quite the bitches!

Well they obviously have no common sense, even I know it would hurt to ride a 90 mph coaster in the rain, and I wouldn't be stupid enough to do it. Although come to think of it, I rode Magnum in a lightning storm. Magnum and Power Tower were the only two things open in the rain, though god knows why!

^ Huh? They operated Magnum, a 200-foot tall, 5000 foot long structure made of nothing but STEEL, in a lightning storm? Something's not right here...

i definetly see what everyone means. Ive just kinda in my head expected cedar point to put in another coaster soon cos thats wha theyve always done!
i guess maverick is still incredibly popular (understandibly so) and they dont need a new coaster for popularity because the park already has that.
I would just assume that with all the years theyve kept the title they would actually want it. And people are saying CF is facing challenges financially, which of course they are as is the rest of the theme parks across america, but if six flags can add 3 coasters to one park in one year and they have a bigger portfolio or whatever then cedar fair, i dont understand why economy is a reason for cedar point not to get a new coaster?

it just feels so long since theyve put in something fabulous eg maverick.
i guess it wasnt that long ago but im really hoping that something does happen so, but after reading lots of peoples posts im now thinking its likely not gonna happen.

I am friends with quite a few redtags and bluetags at CP. All of them told me the same thing. One coaster will be a GCI Woodie and the other will be a family coaster. The GCI Woodie is supposedly going to be over in the parkinglots closest to the Wicked Twister side of the park, near Disaster Transport (And a possibility of them removing Space Spiral along with building the new ride) I don't know if the rumours are true but It was the same story from multiple redtags and bluetags.

I would agree that they aren't adding a coaster, except that it's not like Cedar Fair is neglecting its parks. Cedar Point is been waiting for a new coaster longer than Dorney, and Dorney is getting Invertigo. Worlds of Fun only waited three years between Patriot and Prowler. Kings Island only had two years between Firehawk and Diamondback. All of that happened after the Paramount acquisition. And apart from that, Cedar Point is a a park that gets new rides pretty much every year. Even if it isn't a gigantic underground standup upside-down stratatwister, I don't think a roller coaster is out of the question at all.
I get that there are reasons for it not to happen, but honestly, I don't see them as being any stronger than the reasons it could happen.

You guys have to realize, that if the rumors running about that involve Son of Beast, that is seriously going to take up a LOT of money due to doing whatever they are going to be doing to it, so long as it happens. Now then, as to what the redtags and bluetags have been saying, my friend Jeff told me that they have been talking about that removal of Space Spiral for years now, and they haven't done that.

To the post about Six Flags putting in 3 new rides in a single location in one year, one was just a repaint and switching around of the train. The second is just a relocation, with little to no actual labor. The only one that they trully built was Green Lantern (SFMM). Even if you think about the relocation of Chang from SFKK to Green Lantern at SFGA. Again, only a relocation. Cedar Fair hasn't really put in any new rides outside of the 3-5 Wind Seekers and even now they have had their own issues that they have to worry about (It is what they get for putting two of them into the windy state of Ohio, with one on the lake...dumbasses). If what is happening at Kings Island is true about Son of Beast, they will be shoving a lot of money into fixing its structure, re-tracking and re-profiling of the ride itself, and possible new trains for said ride. That is going to cost a lot, so yea, Cedar Point is going to be sucking on the Maverick tit for a wee bit longer you guys. They do have another park in Ohio that they NEED to focus on before ever contemplating what to do about their baby park.

^I'm not saying any of that isn't true, but I don't think that means that Cedar Point absolutely won't get a new coaster next year. There's just no way that Cedar Fair would completely stop funding roller coasters for every other park just to work on Son of Beast. It very well might not be the year for Cedar Point, but I can't agree with the argument that it's an unequivocal no, because there is still incentive for a new coaster at CP and it's been a pretty long time since the last one, even by normal park standards.

Yes, but Cedar Fair owns more than just Cedar Point (their baby park as i call it). They will most likely be building up some other parks coaster line-up and fix other issues elsewhere before they put anything back into Cedar Point. KBF has a rumored coaster going in...not sure what other CF owned parks are getting anything at this point, but Cedar Point, at this point, doesn't need a new coaster. They got Windseeker issues to worry about in the few parks that got one (isn't knotts still going up?) before they ever think of putting anything in CP. I'm sure we will be hearing something along the line of rumors soon enough for the 2013 or possible 2014 season, but I don't see anything going in there next year. Son of Beast IS going to cost a pretty penny, add in a few other rides in their other parks, and a possible new coaster of KBF...the cost of all that alone is going to make a dent in their spending funds quickly.

Adding in that Cedar Point is getting a new CEO/President, means that all plans any and all plans are on hold for anything being thought of put into that park are on hold.

If Cedar Fair was worried about keeping the world record for most coasters in a park, then we already would have heard something from them when Green Lantern for SFMM got announced. Did anything get announced? I never heard anything, nor have any of my friends who are more into the coaster industry than I am...

As I said, I know there are good reasons pointing away from a coaster, but there are also good reasons pointing toward a coaster. That's all I'm saying. I agree with most of what you're arguing.

What good reasoning outside of they are suckling the life out of the Maverick tit and the rumors of getting rid of the space spiral (that has been talked about for years apparently) is there? They've been been putting in new rides a year, yes, but now they have more than just Cedar Point to focus on.

Because it's Cedar Point and, like it or not, it's the flagship park. Normally, it wouldn't be a factor that it's been 5 years since Maverick, but this is Cedar Point, not Dorney Park. It hasn't gone this long without a new coaster since Gemini was a record holder, and whatever the economic climate, whatever they are working on at other parks, this is unusual. And it doesn't mean nothing that SFMM has the record again (it might mean less to CP than it does to SFMM, but it is incentive). It's completely reasonable to expect them to break the drought. Cedar Point is a destination, whereas Kings Dominion for example is mostly intended for people from Richmond and Washington, DC. Torontonians are going to go to Canada's Wonderland regardless of whether or not there's a new attraction. And the same is true of MSP residents for Valleyfair or Charlotte residents for Carowinds or Kansas City residents for Worlds of Fun. I won't kid myself and pretend that Cedar Point won't be packed just about every Saturday all summer no matter what happens, but it is a different type of park, and in order to market it effectively, it needs new attractions pretty regularly. I'll also point out that the GP isn't blind to the fact that CP no longer has the most coasters, and even if the park isn't overly concerned about that, quite a few of their fans are. So yeah, there are a lot of reasons CP would want a new coaster next summer.

I doubt Space Spiral is going anywhere. It's an iconic ride that has been part of the skyline for years. I'm sure Cedar Point is very proud of it and is more willing to maintain it than demolish it.

^ I dont know much but like my friend told me, its been a rumor for YEARS now that it is going to go, but it still remains. So much for that rumor holding anyform of truth.

^^ First, Cedar Fair has TWO parks in Ohio they gotta worry about. Common sense tells me, that while Cedar Point hasnt had anyform of new roller coaster since Maverick, they have been putting in new rides for the general public yearly afterwards. Kings Island (you know, the one in Cincinatti that they have as well?) has had a MASSIVE WOODEN STRUCTURE sitting there for years now (4 going on 5 if I am right) that people wonder about all the time. You cant ride it, it isnt on the park map, but people hear it being talked about ALL THE **** TIME!

Now, you are the president of Cedar Fair, the smart move (for you) would be to ignore the massive, festering wound to your name of properly working badass coasters and shove something into a park that still pulls in the crowds like flies on. **** because it is your little baby park.

Since the CF President isnt some hormonal teenager with a fanboy boner for (to me at least) a completely over rated park, the smart idea is to take care of the eyesore known as Son of Beast. If you hear an average park goer talking about it, or better yet, someone who has never been to many parks, wondering what the **** is going on with something that has operated before and hasnt since a certain year due to unknown or shady circumstances, that is a concern that is of more importance.

I have a feeling this went off track, but it is late and ive been distracted this entire time by an annoying asshole via facebook. Will fix this later

Hey, are you reading what I'm writing? I agree with you! I completely understand your reasoning and I think most of it is valid. Son of Beast definitely needs to be taken care of. But (1) that doesn't mean ohmygodguys stop everything we have to fix SoB before we do anything else, and (2) Kings Island has gotten two coasters since Cedar Point got Maverick. Neither park has exactly been neglected. If they really want to fix something that's broken, they'll put some effort into MIA for a change.
SoB getting fixed and CP getting a new coaster just are not mutually exclusive. They could get a really nice GCI for under $10 mil, no problem. Or a Eurofighter or X Car. There are options here. It's pretty grey...

Yes, i am reading what you are typing.

You are still being a fanboy.

A coaster is not plausable atm for CP in the next year. They will most likely, if at all, throw in another crowd pleaser flat ride. Only if they have to. In under extreme circumstances. Like the general crowd finding out another amusement park has beaten them for the most amount of coasters in one park. Wait, they are on the west coast. Why would they have advertisements all the way out east in Ohio? Oh...they dont.

SoB is going to cost CF a pretty penny, no matter what happens to it. If they are smart, they wont thin out their finances on putting money into that with possible tearing down at the end of the season if it doesnt work out (you gotta add in advsrtisement costs, construction costs, materials needed, contractors, plus possible cleaning and tear down crews). Plus with the rumor mill flying around about KBF and we still dont know anything about the other parks owned by CF, it would be a stupid maneuver overall for them.

Also, Diamondback is the only new coaster KI got under CF ownership. Firehawk was bought under paramount, not relocated within the parks (i bthink, not sure. Correct if wrong). The newest thing KI has is a prehistoric walkthrough (which looks fab and interesting). Plus, they also have a rumored new ride lined up for them after Windseeker.

It isnt smart for CF to dump some random wooden ride into CP just cause they are going for more than 5 years without a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.