What's new

Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Re: Carowinds | Unknown 2015

I think it looks brilliant. I like how there's quite a lot of low-to-ground turns (that should be pretty snappy at very high speeds) near the beginning, but then it ends with a few nice airtime hills. Don't think it will be an I305 beater for me, but I was impressed and comparing POV's, I think it looks better than Leviathan.

therick311

Mega Poster

I really like the look of this thing! It might be time to start planning a trip that includes Carowinds. I am defiantly going to keep an eye on this!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Definitely looks like a step up from Leviathan.
The first half up until the tunnel especially looks like it could be awesome!

Only thing that irritates me is the random straight section like the one on GateKeeper and the way too wide turn before the final airtime hills.
But I'm an aesthetics guy and overall I like the ride.

Have some more renderings.

Fury04_revised.png

Fury02_resized.png

fury_layout_zoom.jpg

Snoo

The Legend

Doesn't look bad but a brotha needs some airtime hills already. Speed turns are.. well.. ok? I guess we will see.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I think the turnaround will be one of the highlights, potential for lateral airtime, and like everyone who has ridden Goliath at SFGAm says, it's a total wtf amazing moment.

So happy they finally passed MilF in terms of height. Has pissed me off for too da!n long that they hadn't. Still waiting for first to break 100 mph with no launch to happen, and while KBF has rumored for that to appear for several years, it won't go there as nothing good does anymore.

This or new colossus will more than likely mark my return to riding next year.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Pokemaniac said:
Wow, even taller than Steel Dragon 2000?

It falls nearly half a kilometre short of the length record, though. I won't say Fury is any disappointment, but it appears it won't be able to take the claim of "World's biggest rollercoaster". Only two metres lower and 470 metres longer, I'd say SD2K retains that title.

EDIT: Also, I find it somewhat notable that it doesn't break the 100 metre barrier. I mean, it's not like the Americans have ever cared much about Metric, but it feels strange that they didn't want this coaster to be the first non-launched ride to pass the magical barrier. Could Cedar Fair be saving that for later? Or perhaps B&M operates with a "ceiling" of sorts

325 feet is exactly 99.06 metres. It's freaking gigantic. I would say there is absolutely nothing to do with them going over the 100 metre mark.
Clearly B&M have disproved that stupid theory that enthusiasts have had of things they are incapable or not allowed to do. Just a couple years ago I used to read time and time again people complaining and saying B&M would neither build launch coasters or go above 300 feet - obviously they were woefully wrong. If a park has enough money and space, B&M will build what they want.
I honestly don't think they would really care about the 100 metre mark thing anyway, 1 extra metre really is not affecting the ride at all, and then you would have something silly like Fury 328.5 ......
I could personally not be any happier about this, I really think it will be a game changer and personally for me a tremendous experience.

steel

Mega Poster

Ok initial reactions:

• I forgot this was happening until ~10:30 my time (11:30 eastern) and they rolled the first video less than a minute after I got the stream going. cool)
  • Maybe the most obnoxious public speakers I've ever seen doing that presentation, oh my god.
  • This is the first time in all my years following the industry that I have been actively repelled by a coaster's name and slogan. I was even okay (although hesitant) with Rita. I think if there does wind up being a smaller "Fury" at CGAm or wherever, I won't mind quite so much, but "Feel the sting" is about the weakest marketing writing I've seen from such a high-profile company.
  • I'm hoping the green underside of the track will be more noticeable in person than in the renderings.
  • The new entrance plaza looks FABULOUS. I'm loving the level of interaction. It's also right on the state line, so I predict a very popular new photo spot.
  • The ride itself looks absolutely spectacular.
  • It's a big year for B&M.
  • It's almost a little sad seeing Millennium Force's record overtaken after so long, like *wipes tear from eye* my little baby's all grown up :')
  • Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with Leviathan. I'm glad it's not an out-and-out copy.
  • The only ONLY tiny little criticism I have is that I miss Leviathan's camelbacks and speed hills. This one is all overbanks until the turnaround, which is still going to be a hell of a ride - I especially love the kind of s-curve thing - but it does seem to be missing my favorite part of Leviathan.
  • Monstrous step forward for Carowinds. This will be the cherry on top of a fine collection of roller coasters and I can't wait to see where they go from here.
  • *trying to figure out how to get myself to Charlotte and Santa Claus next summer*

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
This should definitely be my number one. It looks to be really aggressive and full of positive forces around some of those turns, and I love how that turnaround :dontswear:s all over Intimidator over there like that. Hope to be able to make it there next year to ride! :D

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Sorry Leviathan, you will no longer be the coaster I want to ride the most when this is built! The first drop looks like it will be the best drop of all time with delicious sustained weightlessness. There really isn't much I wouldn't do for a chance to ride this. I have no doubt it will be in the top 10 of Mitch Hawker steel and it might even be number one. This coaster is going to beat the **** out of every other giga coaster, especially Millennium Force which really doesn't look that great after the first drop. If only the UK could get something like this... Unfortunately, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than seeing a giga in the UK. I believe that Merlin could afford a B&M or Intamin giga in a UK park because they keep churning out new Legoland's across the world but local authorities and residents would never allow it. Maybe they could be bribed...

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

Carowinds ready to sting iin* 2015 with Fury 325 Giga Coaster?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

D1993 said:
I honestly don't think they would really care about the 100 metre mark thing anyway, 1 extra metre really is not affecting the ride at all, and then you would have something silly like Fury 328.5 ...

Well, in my eyes "Fury 330" sounds just as good as "Fury 325". And I still find it strange that Cedar Fair wouldn't push for those last few feet just to cross what is regarded as a quite significant treshold in most of the world. It wouldn't have made much of a difference to the ride per se, but in international marketing it would break a big barrier.

Then again, it's possible that the ride was initially drawn as being 100 metres tall, and then went through several slight reprofilings in order to get the forces right. Shaving off a few decimetres of the lift might have some influence on how the train fares through the rest of the course, and how strong forces acting on the train would be. Then again, maybe not, since the change in height would be less than a percent, and the speeds of coaster trains vary a lot more that due to temperature and humidity and rider load and such.

Or, as you said, it could be that they simply didn't care. There must be several coasters out there going at 99 mph or being 99.5 feet tall, falling just short of a benchmark in a measuring system nobody care about.

Darren B

Giga Poster
It looks brilliant! In a Different sort of way. I'm desperate to see a B&M Giga that's literally full of airtime hills but I completely get why they've done this with Fury325, it'll give a completely different ride to Intimidator am I'm really excited at the prospect of riding this next year; remains to be seen if it'll be better than Imtimidator though. The tunnel with the walkway looks fantastic too, great work by Cedar Fair. 2 B&M airtime machines in 1 park seems to be working for them. Shame they can't warrant ripping down Magnum & MF and replacing them with the same combination.

Intricks

Strata Poster
This, to me, looks like the B&M version of Intimidator 305. A lot of "low to ground" turns, lots of interaction with the park entrance and that Treble Clef turnaround looks amazing.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
My only complaint is going to be after I ride this thing next spring and **** my pants from the awesomeness.

The "speed hills" or whatever they are called with lateral movements look nuts, and I am envisioning some great positive G's on that turnaround.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Pokemaniac said:
D1993 said:
I honestly don't think they would really care about the 100 metre mark thing anyway, 1 extra metre really is not affecting the ride at all, and then you would have something silly like Fury 328.5 ...

Well, in my eyes "Fury 330" sounds just as good as "Fury 325". And I still find it strange that Cedar Fair wouldn't push for those last few feet just to cross what is regarded as a quite significant treshold in most of the world. It wouldn't have made much of a difference to the ride per se, but in international marketing it would break a big barrier.

Then again, it's possible that the ride was initially drawn as being 100 metres tall, and then went through several slight reprofilings in order to get the forces right. Shaving off a few decimetres of the lift might have some influence on how the train fares through the rest of the course, and how strong forces acting on the train would be. Then again, maybe not, since the change in height would be less than a percent, and the speeds of coaster trains vary a lot more that due to temperature and humidity and rider load and such.

Or, as you said, it could be that they simply didn't care. There must be several coasters out there going at 99 mph or being 99.5 feet tall, falling just short of a benchmark in a measuring system nobody care about.

They aren't going to market this overseas, so 100 meters means absolutely nothing to people here. If it was in a bigger more global market, you could stretch it, but it isn't a significant marker for the US.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
The color looks beautiful on the track and the train. I love the entrance overbank! Not a fan of the name though. Overall, It looks great! This would surely be on my top 10 if I ever ride it.