What's new

Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Darren B said:
^^You've picked the worst possible timeframe for Stand-ups. 1993,94,95 didn't see one being built. I'd say the key years for the stand-up were 1990-1992 (one built each year) and 1996-1999 (again, one built each year).

And again, with the Hyper, 6 were built in the 8 years you've mentioned whereas 7 have been built (1 under construction) in the 8 years since.

You can also argue that the Invert was extremely popular for a good decade plus. They certainly didn't tail off in 2000. They were still churning out 2 a year between 2001-2004, almost the same ratio as the previous 6 you've mentioned.

The flyer ceased in popularity in 2006, not 2008. None were built between 2006 (multiple) and 2009 (Manta).

Don't make the charts until you've gone on a fact finding mission :)

I figured a Brit would understand Latin better than a Yank.

Circa (from Latin, meaning "around, about"), usually abbreviated c., ca or ca. (also circ. or cca.), means "approximately" in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Croatian, Serbian, German, Dutch, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Czech, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish (spelled cirka), usually referring to a date.[1] Circa is widely used in genealogy and historical writing when the dates of events are not precisely known.

Here is another example for you, so you can grasp this whole "Circa" thing: the weight off the average CF member is Circa 20 stones. :--D

My "fact finding mission" was pulling the ride open dates off RCDB in a pretty little table, and it looked exactly as I pictured. a big spike, a drop off, then random coasters popping up. The years may have been one or two off the approx. dates I picked in my head, but I would say the thesis held true.

EDIT: One last edit, I can see why it would look like I was picking B&M, but I was looking at all models. The numbers you are quoting are for one manufacturer. For instance in the mega or hyper category, Intamin built 6 models from 1999-2003, none before, none since, according to RCDB.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
steel said:
Hyde said:
There are definite staples that make an amusement park competitive, such as:

- 200 ft. steel coaster
- Mine train coaster
- racing coaster
- launched steel coaster
- alternative riding position coaster (Invert, stand-up, floorless, flyer)
- shuttle coaster
- corkscrew coaster

To that end, Cedar Fair is making the 300 ft. coaster even more so a staple in their amusement park lineups.

Nah this is a made-up phenomenon, just plain not a true. Correlation is not causation. If this line-up is somehow standard for competitive parks, how do you explain Europa Park? Alton Towers? Thorpe Park? Port Aventura? Disney? Dollywood? Either Busch Gardens? Six Flags Great America? Six Flags Great Adventure? Six Flags Over Texas? Canada's Wonderland?

The patterns you are describing are - for the most part - like the rings of a tree. It's just evidence of industry fads from the last few decades. Bigger, wealthier parks tend to add attractions more frequently and have more money, so it's no surprise that they're the ones that fill more of these "slots." It has nothing to do with being competitive, it's simply a byproduct of building coasters often. If a park doesn't have one, that doesn't mean there's some deficiency in the lineup, it just means they happened to not get one when they were in vogue. And if the park really is competitive, their major additions are most often going to be coasters that ARE in vogue, so... don't hold your breath for a racer at Canada's Wonderland, basically.

Ten years ago flying coasters and rocket coasters were the big thing, not so much now. Fifteen years ago it was floorless coasters and CCIs. Now it's wingriders and RMCs.

If there are any categories, they're more like "kiddie coaster," "family coaster," "thrilling coaster."
Again, this is mostly concerning major U.S. amusement parks - seriously, it really is difficult to think of an amusement park that doesn't have a log flume, shoot-the-chutes, and river rapids. Is it sound science? Of course not. Is it influenced by fad trends in ride design? Of course.

But there is a certain element as Hobbes noted to of diversification. It would be unwise for amusement parks to rebuild the same coaster design over and over, as that would not provide good variety for visiting guests. Rather, guests are going to look for rides with different experiences, such as racers, tall steel, or twister wooden.

So the list I put as an example previously is partially inspired by popular trends (the B&M 90s revolution, CCI's large wooden coasters of the 90s, the Arrow loopers of the 80s, Intamin's accelerator surge of the 00s, etc.) and partially a simple need of amusement parks to offer a new experience for guests.

That being said, there are only so many roller coasters and manufacturers to choose from, so amusement parks do look at one another to see what is being offered (and they are also being sold products by the same manufacturer).

So yes, trends do influence what an amusement park will receive. And yes, there is an arguable pattern of roller coaster additions that helps "put it on the map", such as a 300 ft. roller coaster.

Darren B

Giga Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
Darren B said:
^^You've picked the worst possible timeframe for Stand-ups. 1993,94,95 didn't see one being built. I'd say the key years for the stand-up were 1990-1992 (one built each year) and 1996-1999 (again, one built each year).

And again, with the Hyper, 6 were built in the 8 years you've mentioned whereas 7 have been built (1 under construction) in the 8 years since.

You can also argue that the Invert was extremely popular for a good decade plus. They certainly didn't tail off in 2000. They were still churning out 2 a year between 2001-2004, almost the same ratio as the previous 6 you've mentioned.

The flyer ceased in popularity in 2006, not 2008. None were built between 2006 (multiple) and 2009 (Manta).

Don't make the charts until you've gone on a fact finding mission :)

I figured a Brit would understand Latin better than a Yank.

Circa (from Latin, meaning "around, about"), usually abbreviated c., ca or ca. (also circ. or cca.), means "approximately" in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Croatian, Serbian, German, Dutch, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Czech, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish (spelled cirka), usually referring to a date.[1] Circa is widely used in genealogy and historical writing when the dates of events are not precisely known.

Here is another example for you, so you can grasp this whole "Circa" thing: the weight off the average CF member is Circa 20 stones. :--D

My "fact finding mission" was pulling the ride open dates off RCDB in a pretty little table, and it looked exactly as I pictured. a big spike, a drop off, then random coasters popping up. The years may have been one or two off the approx. dates I picked in my head, but I would say the thesis held true.

EDIT: One last edit, I can see why it would look like I was picking B&M, but I was looking at all models. The numbers you are quoting are for one manufacturer. For instance in the mega or hyper category, Intamin built 6 models from 1999-2003, none before, none since, according to RCDB.

Aha, yeah, I thought you were directing your post purely on B&M coasters.

Reading back through what I wrote it clearly reads like me trying to be a c*nt, I was actually trying to be constructive, and helpful. :)

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^No problem! Its the internet, and we are men (I think?).

On a daily basis I am having general public friends ask about this ride, so Carowinds and Cedar Fair have done something right with the marketing/ride type.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Saw this on Caro's Facebook.

10687268_10152674283513599_8386452992906437458_o.jpg

Just in case anyone wanted a close up of the sexy B&M track. :wink:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Great use of two-tone on the track. Gives a nice visual pop, and much preferred to other color schemes, such as the two-toned green of Hydra that gets lost in photos.

USMCKoontz

Roller Poster
Cant wait to ride Fury :) However I was hoping that Carowinds would have came out with a Wing Rider.... Especially since Holiday World is getting one with Thunderbird (and I personally enjoy Holiday World, since I am from Indiana Origionally)
And Honestly Holiday Worlds Thunderbird has a sweet Layout:)

Either way I love Carowinds, and cant wait till 2015 :) Will be first year taking all our kids, and my two oldest should be tall enough to ride the majority of the rides there :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

^ Just try to avoid Vortex. It looks nice, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The park posted this photo on their Facebook page to show how much construction has been done this week. The top photo was taken on Monday and the bottom one on Friday.

10417577_10152737970493599_8946004391047128668_n.jpg

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
tomahawk said:
Don't like white supports, reminds me of every coaster in Europe. Other colors are awesome though.

What's wrong with European coasters? Also, most don't have white supports although Flug @ Heide Park and the upcoming Gardaland dive machine are notable examples of coasters that do.

I think the supports look great although it would be one hell of a job to repaint them if they got rusty.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Yeah, really not digging the white supports on this one. :? I get that they didn't want to do silver since Intimidator has silver (though I think it would have looked nice to have both coasters with different track yet matching supports, especially since I expect them to blend slightly in the skyline), but a really dark gray or even black would have been really nice. Sure it'll look really pretty and pristine driving up to the park now but I'm guessing this goes the way of Diamondback and looks neglected and faded in five years. At least the track is pretty, though.

Colors aside, I still expect it to knock everyone's socks off. ;)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
cjbrandy said:
tomahawk said:
Don't like white supports, reminds me of every coaster in Europe. Other colors are awesome though.

What's wrong with European coasters? Also, most don't have white supports although Flug @ Heide Park and the upcoming Gardaland dive machine are notable examples of coasters that do.

I think the supports look great although it would be one hell of a job to repaint them if they got rusty.

Oh no problem with Euro coasters, just the lack of any **** color. Gray, white, black seems to be 98% of all Euro coasters since early 2000's at least.

Ethan

Strata Poster
cjbrandy said:
What's wrong with European coasters?

Ignore him, he just dislikes anything that isn't from the US.

98% of coasters in Europe aren't white or black. In fact it's only the few Merlin Parks that have black or white coasters.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
According to RCDB quick search...

Heide Park
Desert Race-black
Krake-black
Big Loop-white
Flug-White
Limit-white
Bobsled-white

Thorpe
Colossus- faded blue/gray
Flying Fish- black
Swarm-black
Saw-black
Stealth-portions white
X-black
Nemesis-RED

Alton
Nemesis-White
Oblivion-black
Smiler-black
Air-Blue
Rita-red (black over trees or is it green?)
Sonic-red and blue

So apparently it's just **** Merlin who hate anything colorful, not Europe, my mistake.

I like plenty of things that aren't from the US, so go grumble under your bridge Ethan.

Ethan

Strata Poster
You've just listed Merlin coasters, not ALL the other European coasters that have tonnes of colour.
You're 98% statement was wrong, most coasters in Europe aren't black or white.

marc

CF Legend
Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

There is nothing white at Adventure Island. Everything new there is bloody yellow lol.