What's new

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's as if he thinks the team on here having nothing else to do but keep track of hundreds of topics across dozens of forums, and are totally inept if they miss even one thing.

Unstickied now. Sorry it took so long.

I write this in part in jest, in part sincerely. We do need members to help us keep things moving, and ATI's approach to knowing all the topics is helpful sometimes (he's spotted a few duplicate ones recently, which is helpful), but there's a fine line between being observant and being needy. Keep it up, but just bear in mind that there's only a few of us doing this and sometimes your tone of voice will rub us up the wrong way. Especially on a Monday morning. :p

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Rode it several times over the weekend, might as well throw in some of my thoughts.

Like almost every other Mack launch out there, this thing is just pure fun. Coming into this, I wasn't a massive fan of the hangtime on El Loco in Vegas, but this is the perfect type of hangtime IMO. The first loop and inverted top hat are executed just about perfectly; just the right duration and strength for my liking. The JoJo Roll was also fine, although this was the most "annoying" hangtime element on the ride. Wasn't too bad after 6 or so rides. The few moments of ejector the ride has are pretty good as well. The hill after the first loop reminds me a lot of Helix's big hill in terms of forces. A great pop of air, just sustained for about half the duration that Helix does. I was pretty iffy on whether Copperhead Strike would keep its speed to the end or not, and I'm pretty satisfied with how it's paced. The ending turns are taken at just enough speed where it doesnt feel like totally pointless meandering; even sneaking in a couple airtime moments. Only real complaint with the ride is that second launch. Do not expect to get any decent airtime on it whatsoever. You might get some weak floater, but that's it. It's really just a flat launch that happens to be over a hill. Overall I'm a big fan of this thing, and hopefully this is the beginning of more Cedar Fair & Mack partnerships!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I personally like the idea of the hill launch. When asked the question "Would I rather have a flat Mack launch or a hill Mack launch?", I'd pick the hill Mack launch, since it won't feel like you're gliding on straight track.

Pear

Strata Poster
Rode it this weekend as well and it's a very good coaster! It's got the perfect mix of hangtime, airtime, positives, and laterals. The theming is great for Cedar Fair and the Barn is lovely. The whole new area is very well done and the ride itself helps elevate Carowinds to more than a half-day park.

Pear

Strata Poster
Front seat is the best! It was running much better on Saturday than it was on Friday night. There's good positives on the first loop, turn before 2nd launch, and from the exit of the tophat to the 2nd loop. There's also very good lats on the corkscrew and on the transition through the loop and the element right after it.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
The corkscrew had decent laterals on the left side, and the transition where the photo is was great. Some valleys had some good positives as well, specifically the bottoms of the loops and the valley right before the 2nd launch.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
Yeah from my one ride on it, I recall there being a lot more positive G's in the section between the first airtime hill and the second launch. Laterals don't really come into play until the end of the ride.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here is a cool video by ElToroRyan, a former ride op, in which he explains exactly what went wrong with the ride, why it went down to one train, and why it kept haulting on the second launch. If you don't totally understand that stuff, I think it's worth a watch!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Carowinds have also the ride's official updated POV, but is currently unlisted on YouTube:-
This video also has a better frame rate than the other one I posted.

I do think it would have been nice if there was some mist at the exit of the shed just as the train launches, much like on Blue Fire and Thunderbird for example, but I still think the ride has some nice theming and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I hate the way the camera is mounted
Yeah it's weird isn't it? I think it must be on some sort of gimbal stabilizer. That or they used some software stabilisation and had the dials set a bit funny. Either way, very... slack looking?

Lofty

CF Legend
To be honest, I think it's just using a new Hero 7, they have a nasty habit of trying to balance the internal stabalization too much.

Snoo

The Legend
So hey. It's good. Damn good. Hangtime, ejector, crazy transitions, launches you didn't expect. I loved it almost too much. Now I can understand why you guys love Icon, Taron, and Helix so much. Definitely a phenomenal ride. Higher then Maverick so maybe #11 for me? I really have to reevaluate my favorites as Fury was MUCH better then last time. <3

Snoo

The Legend
To be fair, I wouldn't put Taron anywhere near the same level as a Mack launch coaster, but the other two points stand ;)

Understood good sir. :p

I rewatched a POV and did cry a bit for Taron as I can almost feel what I felt on CH and just.. mmmm I want.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Copperhead Strike is definitely a great ride @Snoo, but I don’t prefer it to Maverick. Maverick is in my top 3, whereas Copperhead Strike is more like in my top 40. Still, that hangtime can’t be beat! :)