What's new

California's Great America | "Gold Striker" | GCI Wood

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: California's Great America | "Unknown" | GCI Wood?

Looks like Wodan, so no, another mediocre ride from GCI....

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: California's Great America | "Goldstriker" | GCI Wood?

Posted on GCI's Facebook not too long ago. It is indeed "Goldstriker".

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/goldstriker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3doDAoOtMsU[/youtube]

Looks quite decent, at least. Time will tell how it rides.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

Looks REALLY good. Will compete with Apocalypse, Thunderhead, Prowler, and American Thunder for GCI's top woodie.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Definitely looks like an amazing coaster. Need to go to the Bay area for SFDK, Santa Cruz, and Great America sometime.

bmac

Giga Poster

Neat layout, looks like it burns all the speed out by the end though. Hopefully the video is lying with this one...

michaellll

Mega Poster

^I agree.

After the first two large turnarounds it seems GCI simply put in some filler before the brake run. I LOVE the drop and the first few elements (especially that speed hill), but it doesn't excuse the lack of force that I'm pretty sure will plague this coaster in the second half. Or at least a lack of neg-g moments.

Now, of course, this is a simple rendering, so I shouldn't be able to voice these opinions.

But I am.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Dunno, this ride seems a bit formulatic to me, almost like the B&M of wooden coasters.

Has good pacing to offer, but not much else it seems.

Not saying that it wouldn't be a fun ride though!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For 108 ft. tall, this looks very impressive. I am glad that this coaster could finally see the light of day after being hung up in 49er stadium negotiations for so long.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Heh, looks OK. Doesn't look like it's going to be the best ride out there, but looks like it'll be good fun and decent ride (like most of these GCI woodies I think).

Jake

Strata Poster
Just pointing out an error on the main site article - it says they haven't opened a coaster since 2012, when it was actually 2001.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Love it.

What's not to love about a GCI woodie? And glad they are still getting built.
No knock on the Intamin beasts or RMC monsters but the traditional woodie still lives!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: California's Great America | "Gold Striker" | GCI Wood

In regards to wood or steel? Im assuming wood cause of Skyrush :3

Intamin hasnt made another wooden coaster after T-Express, Collosus and El Toro were made.

andrus

Giga Poster
^That's a bit sad.. I would love for another park to invest in a prefab. They're awesome coasters and the GP loves them as well. It might not be a given chioce at the drawing desk but irl they're great rides!

I don't know what to say of Gold Striker. I used to love GCI. The two I had been on in Europe where both great, in fact Troy is excellent and world class!! But there was only one decent on my US trip. Ok Lightning Racer is a really solid ride but both Wildcat and Roar where horrible, rough and had uninspired layouts.. GCI seems like they're hit or miss really!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
bmac said:
Intamin has only made 4. Last one was almost five years ago...

Not quite. They built/designed at least seven regular woodies before they developed their prefabs, but yeah, nothing for five years.

To be honest, even though Balder is quite compact, if a park wants a "cheap" and compact woodie, then GCI is going to take that job over Intamin.