What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Tigris | Premier SkyRocket II

Hutch

Strata Poster
As if it’ll be like oh you could go do Star Wars land, a new Potter coaster or... this heap of :emoji_poop:.
You bring up a good point here. I know Busch won't be able to match numbers of Disney or Universal (in fact Sea World parks went down in visitor numbers last year right?) but a Sky Rocket isn't going to attract tourists in the region. They really need to offer something unique or actually good.

I don't know why I keep complaining on about this. The ride is coming and there's nothing we can do about it lol. So I guess... yay +1?

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
That’s the point though. They’re not Disney or Universal. Seaworld as a company has gradually been transforming into a regional company a la Cedar Fair and Six Flags. If that’s how they’ve been able to turn attendance around at their parks, more power to them. Not every park in Central Florida needs to be Disney or Universal.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I know Busch isn't trying to be like Disney or Universal who focus on creating immersive areas and attractions, but central Florida is still a destination region for many. Millions of tourists flock into the area each year, obviously for Disney and Universal. My point was that if Busch wants to grab other people's attention, they should invest in a more exciting ride. A Sky Rocket isn't going to convince the peeps visiting Orlando to come over to Tampa for a day.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm starting to think it might not be a bad idea.

They're never going to compete with Star Wars and Potter, so maybe it's better to shove in a filler attraction that year?

Nobody goes to Florida for Busch. They just pick up a percentage of Disney and Universal's visitors. More visitors to Orlando = more visitors heading out to Tampa for the day.

Doesn't it make more sense to build something bigger on a "down" year for Disney and Universal?

Matt N

CF Legend
Why, out of interest, @MakoMania? I know it's all a matter of opinion, but IOA was my personal favourite park in Florida when I last went in August 2016. Are you just more interested by coasters + animals than theming, if you get what I mean?

With regards to this, I don't think it's too bad of an idea. As @gavin said, I reckon it will help BGT rack up a percentage of Disney and Universal's visitors, although I'm not sure if I agree about 2019 being a down year in Florida, what with Dragon Challenge's replacement, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, amongst other major things, coming in 2019. I don't think Florida ever really has down years anymore, to be honest!

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
Galaxy's Edge is scheduled to open in Late Fall of 2019, which if I had to guess is around the time Episode IX is released. So even with BGT being more of a regional park, the only real competition they'll face is the Potter Coaster (and possibly a Jurassic Park attraction). Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is the only ride coming to WDW Resort by Summer 2019.

Lofty

CF Legend
There it potential that it's not, but, the floorpan that leaked clearly shows that type of ride type based off of other plans that have been released in the past.

Pear

Strata Poster
I'm quite excited for this to be announced - one of the Premier Sky Rocket II's fits the park perfectly.
If I'm being honest it really wouldn't fit BGT perfectly at all. It's a triple launch coaster with a heartline roll and the park has another triple launch coaster with the exact same inversion already. It would be a better fit at SWO as they don't have a launch coaster at all.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Alright, let me attempt to clear something up. A triple launch, which is also referred to as a swing launch, is a ride attribute where the trains are propelled to speed in three phases: forward, reverse, and forward again. There are many reasons why manufacturers are employing this attribute to their launch systems. The backwards phase adds a bit of excitement to the launch. A three phase swing launch requires less track and hardware to achieve a top speed, which ultimately saves space and material cost. Finally, if done right, the attribute spreads its power draw across a longer period of time, which means that the electrical grid is not subject to such a jarring load from a standard single phase launch.

Cheetah Hunt is NOT a triple launch - it's a blitz coaster that happens to have three separate launches. West Coast Racers is not a quadruple launch or whatever silly thing people are calling it - it's a launched Mobius coaster that happens to have four separate launches. Same applies to Maverick, Copperhead Strike, Helix, and Icon, except with two launches.

True triple launch coasters are these Sky Rocket II models and rides like Soaring with Dragon, Dual Dragon, Capital Bullet Train, and Star Trek - all utilize one single launch track with some sort of reverse spike or element which the train utilizes to achieve three passes over the propulsion hardware.

Last edited: