What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Serengeti Flyer | S&S Screamin' Swing | 2023

Christian

Hyper Poster
Isn't this ride going to stress those elephants? I imagine they wont fare so well from all the screaming.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Hmm, yeah, unless S&S have designed a new model without the compressed air, I would worry about the noise causing issues with the elephants and their behaviour/stress levels. Wasn't it said that there were fears the noise of Thunder Looper was affecting the breeding patterns of the cows nearby Alton Towers?

Obviously I'm no zoologist, and cows aren't elephants, but I can't imagine sudden loud, irregular 'wooshes' would do wonders for any animal, especially intelligent creatures like Elephants. I'm sure they would have thought this through though... Hopefully. Plus I doubt S&S would ever scrap using compressed air on this model as using it is basically their kink now!

Lofty

CF Legend
Hmm, yeah, unless S&S have designed a new model without the compressed air, I would worry about the noise causing issues with the elephants and their behaviour/stress levels. Wasn't it said that there were fears the noise of Thunder Looper was affecting the breeding patterns of the cows nearby Alton Towers?

Obviously I'm no zoologist, and cows aren't elephants, but I can't imagine sudden loud, irregular 'wooshes' would do wonders for any animal, especially intelligent creatures like Elephants. I'm sure they would have thought this through though... Hopefully. Plus I doubt S&S would ever scrap using compressed air on this model as using it is basically their kink now!
An elephant's ability to adapt to a new habitat, which can be a complete change in habitat or environmental factors changing, is astounding. They're incredibly emotional animals but have a great ability to adapt to new surroundings and stimuli. The animal division/welfare team would have been consulted with this throughout the entire process and would have more than likely started the transitional experience of playing recordings of the sounds generated from the ride itself.

What you're not hugely taking into account is the noises of all of the other rides within the area that are incredibly loud or the way the sound can travel across the site with different wind directions.

If the project is now off the ground, their teams would have taken more steps than we would even contemplate making sure the elephants' welfare is kept to the highest standard.

Ethan

Strata Poster
An elephant's ability to adapt to a new habitat, which can be a complete change in habitat or environmental factors changing, is astounding. They're incredibly emotional animals but have a great ability to adapt to new surroundings and stimuli. The animal division/welfare team would have been consulted with this throughout the entire process and would have more than likely started the transitional experience of playing recordings of the sounds generated from the ride itself.

What you're not hugely taking into account is the noises of all of the other rides within the area that are incredibly loud or the way the sound can travel across the site with different wind directions.

If the project is now off the ground, their teams would have taken more steps than we would even contemplate making sure the elephants' welfare is kept to the highest standard.
Don't doubt that. And as I said...
I'm sure they would have thought this through though
However remember that 2019 study that was quite well known, where similar noises were tested on various animals found in zoos. In particular, construction noises. Animals like elephants and emus have showed behaviour potentially indicative of stress and agitation when exposed to them. Again, I'm not saying this one ride is going to kill off all the elephants or whatever, and the sound of construction isn't the same as rides, but I'm yet to see any evidence that leads me to believe these noises would do anything positive. Obviously I don't think most animals should be in captivity anyway, apart from under certain circumstances, so perhaps I'm biased.

Went to Chessington and visited the sad looking donkey and goats within hearing distance of Dragon Fury's lift motor, not fun. Clearly I'm not an elephant or a goat but I really do not think theme parks are a place that animals should be kept. That's just my opinion anyway.

Lofty

CF Legend
And that's all great for your opinion, but some theme parks are doing more for the world of conservation and preventing extinction than zoos are in the world - so it's not just a black and white area that we can define as being right or wrong.

Arguably, constant noise - or at least frequent noise is not as harmful to the well-being of species as sudden impact noises such as a gunshot, car horn or screaming child.

In terms of the 'sad looking donkeys and goats', most of the time, if they're looking distressed, are pacing or causing self-harm, it's due to a lack of stimulus from enrichment activities.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh the location might be genuine, but I still say those elephants are photo-shopped. The random feed bucket and, what appears to be, the spout of a jerry can poking in at the bottom of the picture are a bit of a giveaway.
Screenshot_20220817-154636_Chrome.jpg

HQCrazyCat

Roller Poster
Oh the location might be genuine, but I still say those elephants are photo-shopped. The random feed bucket and, what appears to be, the spout of a jerry can poking in at the bottom of the picture are a bit of a giveaway.

You're overthinking it - pull up a Google Maps overview and you'll see the elephant enclosure is directly in-between the guest pathway and the Screamin' Swing construction site.

Pear

Strata Poster
View attachment 19733
That's one of the souvenir cups that the park sells, the elephant exhibit is right next to the swing