What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Iron Gwazi | RMC Gwazi | 2022

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Can I ask a question - what are SeaWorld (chain) struggling with so much more than the other parks/chains that are forging ahead with their 2021 openings? It's looking like Jersey Devil will open, along with Stunt Pilot, Velocicoaster, but to name a few.

This could be something I've missed, so would be good to get a concise summary.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Could the summary also include:

1. A timestamp of when Iron Gwazi's track was complete and the stage Velocicoaster was at at the time. (i.e. had Universal even acknowledged a new ride was being built).
  2. Is last years 'Opening Soon' billboard still up?

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I don't think anyone has any idea what's up. It's kind of the great mystery, how was the ride that was testing, I believe with people at one point, and looking like it was ready to go just been sitting there, no update, no word? It may indeed be a SeaWorld issue, wasn't Ice Breaker also testing then one day "Oh we haven't seen or heard a thing in ages"

Christian

Hyper Poster
Didn't Sea World have problems with paying for all their expansions? It could imagine it has something with that to do. They need to secure credit from banks in order to pay the ride suppliers and banks are probably not to keen on lending money to a company that has quite a lot of debt, pandemic going on and questionable performance during the last couple of years (all the blackfish things). If the suppliers don't get paid they are probably not allowing the rides to open.

I'm just guessing.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
I am so done with Seaworld guys...NO UPDATES OR ANYTHING!!! This is getting so ridiculous and it is so annoying seeing nothing from Busch, NOTHING! THEY NEED TO OPEN IT NOW OR PROVIDE AN UPDATE! Vaccine is rolling out and case numbers are going down, NOW IS THE TIME! DO NOT WAIT.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I am so done with Seaworld guys...NO UPDATES OR ANYTHING!!! This is getting so ridiculous and it is so annoying seeing nothing from Busch, NOTHING! THEY NEED TO OPEN IT NOW OR PROVIDE AN UPDATE! Vaccine is rolling out and case numbers are going down, NOW IS THE TIME! DO NOT WAIT.
Rwinger?

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Didn't Sea World have problems with paying for all their expansions? It could imagine it has something with that to do. They need to secure credit from banks in order to pay the ride suppliers and banks are probably not to keen on lending money to a company that has quite a lot of debt, pandemic going on and questionable performance during the last couple of years (all the blackfish things). If the suppliers don't get paid they are probably not allowing the rides to open.

I'm just guessing.

Well, if anyone involved is concerned about Sea World's performance, what good is holding back their brand new attraction going to do? Not that I would ever assume a bank to operate on anything that resembles rational thinking, but the deal is kind of done here.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
From the pantheon thread I have been reading on parkfans posters with "2021" opening on have been removed. Are the posters for gwazi 2021 posters on still up?

Christian

Hyper Poster
Well, if anyone involved is concerned about Sea World's performance, what good is holding back their brand new attraction going to do? Not that I would ever assume a bank to operate on anything that resembles rational thinking, but the deal is kind of done here.

I presume that SeaWorld have not been able to fully pay the ride suppliers (RMC, Intamin, Premier, etc) and banks are not willing to lend SeaWorld money so that they can pay the suppliers due to the risks that SeaWorld maybe wont be able to pay back the banks. Ride suppliers are not charities. They also need to get paid for the work that they have put in to deliver these world class rides. Maybe the suppliers wont allow SeaWorld to start using the rides until they get paid. I think that is perfectly fair.

If I sell a car to someone I will not allow him to drive off and start using the car until I get paid. That's what I think is going on here.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If I sell a car to someone I will not allow him to drive off and start using the car until I get paid. That's what I think is going on here.
Yes, but in that case you can simply keep your car in your garage and sell it on to the next customer. It's not as easy to do that with a custom-built coaster. Iron Gwazi has zero resale value for RMC. It would probably cost more to tear it down and store it in anticipation of another customer than it would to write it off completely. They would also know that this ride would be a major source of income for the park, so refusing handover wouldn't exactly help them get paid if the park is currently in financial trouble.

Maybe they could be stalling to get some sort of court verdict to receive more money (say, if SeaWorld can't afford the lump sum, but RMC would be entitled to a percent or two of ticket income instead), but otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to deadlock the situation at this stage.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Yes, but in that case you can simply keep your car in your garage and sell it on to the next customer. It's not as easy to do that with a custom-built coaster. Iron Gwazi has zero resale value for RMC. It would probably cost more to tear it down and store it in anticipation of another customer than it would to write it off completely. They would also know that this ride would be a major source of income for the park, so refusing handover wouldn't exactly help them get paid if the park is currently in financial trouble.

Maybe they could be stalling to get some sort of court verdict to receive more money (say, if SeaWorld can't afford the lump sum, but RMC would be entitled to a percent or two of ticket income instead), but otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to deadlock the situation at this stage.

I think that's the case. But RMC probably don't have any incentive to let seaworld open up the ride until they see a way to get paid. Either through ticket sales, stock, percentage of earnings or instalments.

While Iron Gwazi is worthless on the second hand market I could see Ice Breaker, Pantheon and emperor getting moved as a worst case scenario.

I just hope that Seaworld get their **** together and open up the rides soon.

All I am saying is just pure speculation so don't quote me one it but I don't see any other reason for them to be stalling 4 rides from 4 different manufacturers. Surely they can't all be stalled for technical reasons or lack of attendance. They need these coasters more than ever to make up for lost revenue.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
All I am saying is just pure speculation so don't quote me one it but I don't see any other reason for them to be stalling 4 rides from 4 different manufacturers. Surely they can't all be stalled for technical reasons or lack of attendance. They need these coasters more than ever to make up for lost revenue.
The could be waiting for all restrictions to be lifted, to get maximum effect out of their new attractions. If you think they have the capability of pulling 20,000 guests through the gates every day for their first few months of operation, it hurts the numbers if those months of "Shiny new toy effect" have the attendance capped at 10,000 (and the coasters no longer being brand new novelties when the attendance cap is lifted). Then again, are there that many restrictions left in place in these parks at the moment?

Nussimo

Roller Poster
If I look at Phantasialand, F.L.Y. did not really appear to get in huge crowds last year, so I can imagine that BG wants to avoid similar issues.
The crowds were so little because only 20% of the maximum capacity of the park were allowed to be in the park. And they only let only a handfull in rookbourgh. You needed to stay in line to enter it. Thats why F.L.Y never had any longer quetime then 30min.

Trax

Hyper Poster
The crowds were so little because only 20% of the maximum capacity of the park were allowed to be in the park. And they only let only a handfull in rookbourgh. You needed to stay in line to enter it. Thats why F.L.Y never had any longer quetime then 30min.
Taron on the other hand had a queue of 60+ minutes on a regular basis. FLY was always emptier than Taron.
In addition, the park had definetely more than 20% capacity. More like 80%. The summer was extremely crowded, as every summer before was. I think they had a limitation, but that was not that much lower compared to a normal season. Way more than 20% for sure.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Taron on the other hand had a queue of 60+ minutes on a regular basis. FLY was always emptier than Taron.
In addition, the park had definetely more than 20% capacity. More like 80%. The summer was extremely crowded, as every summer before was. I think they had a limitation, but that was not that much lower compared to a normal season. Way more than 20% for sure.
But, as @Nussimo said, you could only get to F.L.Y. by lining up to enter Rookburgh. The rest of the park may have been packed, but Rookburgh (intentionally) wasn’t.

Trax

Hyper Poster
On offpeak days, you could easily enter Rookburgh without a wait and ride FLY within 5-10 minutes if you are lucky. Of course, if you want to walk in right after opening, the wait will be significant, but same goes for Taron. During the day, FLY had consistently shorter queues than Taron, even though you could enter Rookburgh at any time.

I am just wondering if this is from a lack of marketing, knowledge (from the guests) or just the fact that GP might be a little bit scared when they see a Flying Coaster.

My argument remains the same: I can imagine, that BG wants to get the maximum out of the attraction, and opening with limitations will limit the potential profit generated by that investments. Even though we fans tend to forget, parks are businesses and need to earn money.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
On offpeak days, you could easily enter Rookburgh without a wait and ride FLY within 5-10 minutes if you are lucky. Of course, if you want to walk in right after opening, the wait will be significant, but same goes for Taron. During the day, FLY had consistently shorter queues than Taron, even though you could enter Rookburgh at any time.

I am just wondering if this is from a lack of marketing, knowledge (from the guests) or just the fact that GP might be a little bit scared when they see a Flying Coaster.

My argument remains the same: I can imagine, that BG wants to get the maximum out of the attraction, and opening with limitations will limit the potential profit generated by that investments. Even though we fans tend to forget, parks are businesses and need to earn money.
What limitations? The park is at full capacity, and the masks are starting to be phased out. Social distancing will be gone soon as well.

solarfall

Mega Poster
What limitations? The park is at full capacity, and the masks are starting to be phased out. Social distancing will be gone soon as well.
I'd like to add that I made the mistake of going to a park a few months ago, and even then nobody followed the social distancing rules nor did they wear their masks masks property. And if six flags limited capacity at all, I'd hate to see that park at full capacity.

Maybe SeaWorld is better about enforcing this stuff, but that's not the case from what I've heard in the past