Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Project 2017

Temleh said:
This new coaster (if that's what it is) will be Mack and it will be spectacular. You don't tease a coaster this early if it's going to be a simple Premier Skyrocket. Amanda went out to Liseberg just to ride Helix. She also went to Busch Gardens to try out Cheetah Hunt but the less said about that the better! :wink:
I tried to post a similar thing yesterday but the forums kept timing out (yes, we're working on it). Amanda does have a love affair with Europa Park and, through her IAAPA work, has a strong connection with the Mack family. I think she would always consider Mack as a manufacturer if the price and the coaster was right for the park.

I wouldn't read too much into Mrs T riding Helix. She was on an IAAPA Conference thing at the time and all delegates were invited to ride it. Mrs T does try everything out where possible. She was also recently at another IAAPA thing at Vialand, Turkey, where the big coasters are Intamins. Mrs T is heavily involved with IAAPA so she didn't go to Liseberg "just to ride Helix". But hopefully she fell in love with it and wants one!

I'd love to see a Mack coaster at PBB and if they can afford it and squeeze it in, that's what they'll get. Of course, we're all second guessing because they're starting a media campaign 20 months ahead of opening. It has to be big!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Does a 20 month campaign actually mean this ride will be big? I'm being pretty pessimistic here but could Amanda and co just be riding on sky forces success with its long media campaign and just assume any ride with a long over hyped campaign will do well? I'm praying for something good but the more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm looking at it from a marketing point of view - 20 months to start quietly promoting something small is a ridiculously long lead-in time. The marketing for Nick Land only happened an year before it opened.

It doesn't make too much financial sense to advertise something for two years away unless it's something massive because people might hold off going in 2016. They must be pretty confident it will have a high return on investment and impact if they're willing to gamble reduced visitors numbers in 2016 whilst people hold off.

It'll either be something good or a damp squib. There'll be no inbetween!

Tomatron

Giga Poster

The last time Blackpool Pleasure had a campaign of a similar length was for Valhalla. That was the biggest investment on a single ride the park has ever made, and the promo matched the scale of the ride. The park certainly know how to hype up a ride, but with the timescale involved if this is all legit, I'm really hoping it's a(nother) big one.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^You want it to be another Big One? ;)

The park aren't stupid and they know that hyping up a mediocre ride will lead to disappointment, so I have faith that it will be something impressive. Hasn't Amanda also said on several occasions over the years, that she wants a Mack Megacoaster?

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

I think as enthusiasts we naturally exaggerate the idea of reduced visitors the year before an advertised investment. I can understand that we (those who know about up coming rides and plans) would hold off of visiting lacklustre parks if we knew a big ride that was worth waiting for was in planning. After all we’ve visited them before, we know the gimmicks, we can see past the tacky theming and poor ride quality. But I don’t think this is the case with the GP. The GP want to visit parks, they don’t visit them just to get plus ones or solely to ride a new ride. They visit a park because they want to ride what they know is already there. If they visit a park for the first time they will not be swayed by the addition of a new ride when there are plenty of open rides they have yet to experience anyway (this is assuming they even know there is a new ride planned). If they are return visitors they are returning because they like the park anyway and a new ride will just be a bonus to what they were expecting (once again assuming they know there is a ride planed). If they are locals / regulars they may hold back but they are local enough to consider visiting when they want without having to wait until the ride is open. Lets not forget this teaser is largely going to go unnoticed to the GP visiting the park and the distant date of 2017 means they'll probably forget it anyway.

If anyone can fish out yearly attendance figures and compare 2 years before an investment with no teaser to the year before an investment with advertising just to see if there is a drop in numbers.

As far as Valhalla is concerned it opened in 2000 under Amanda's dad so any marketing strategy used would have likely changed.

Id also like to say that I’d love for this to be huge and am really keeping my fingers crossed for something big. I’m just taking this with a pinch of salt. Hopefully I'll be positively surprised when we get any more news on this.

As for the overhyping issue, we as enthusiasts saw the over hyping of the im a celeb maze at Thorpe this year but the GP lapped it up. My work colleagues were discussing it having seen the TV adverts and were looking at organising a trip solely because of it but there I was knowing that it would be awful. Parks know that at the end of the day its the GP that bring in the most money so if they're happy who cares if the goons are upset because they feel like a ride was overhyped. They are laughing all the way to bank.

peep

CF Legend

Fun fact, Blackpool management (assume Amanda was involved) visited Nigloland which is where they got the idea of getting a Gerst sky fly. However the visit was shortly after another ride at the park opened ;)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Wait... So if rumours are true we may be getting a Mack mega coaster and an RMC in the same year?! *hyperventilates*

The hype is real with this one! Ha they're totally going to get a volare or something stupid now... :lol:

rob666

Hyper Poster

Going back to planning permission,
I'm sure I read in one of my local history books that the park can avoid general planning permission,
because they donated a large area of land to the council about eighty years ago,
to build the "new" promenade.
Freedom to build within the site was part of the bargain.
I may be wrong ( and I often am!),
but I think there was no planning permission as such for the Big One,
just local issue control from the council,
same with Valhalla.

I snooped around lots of the staff a week ago and got lots of "I know nothing" responses,
smirks, and looks to the distance.
One member of non ride staff said it would be a launched coaster going south from the centre of the park.
Usual pinch of salt required.!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Was looking for any info on this and found a member on Towerstreet had designed a mack launched coaster that could fit in quite nicely. He's emailed it to Amanda Thompson, could definitely give her some inspiration!

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I think if it's a coaster of substantial size, it'll probably be on one of the car parks, probably the one to the northeast of the park.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Temleh said:
cjbrandy said:
It would be great if they demolished The Big One and put a B&M hyper in its place: The Big One 2. It would be Britains tallest coaster and many would want to ride.

That's a terrible idea as the Big One is already the UK's tallest coaster. I do think it's fair to say that they will go for some form of record though, Blackpool always do... Even if that means putting it over water!

Yeah but the Big One is a terrible coaster, its sadistic in a bad way whilst Wild Mouse is sadistic in a fun and exiting way. Ive literally just rode Shambhala, its incomprehendible how much better it is as a hyper coaster. If PMBO was demolished and replaced with a B&M one it would be absolutely fantastic and everyone would love it.

Lofty

CF Legend

I highly doubt it being a substantial coaster - if the jeep is a clue as to theming, they always say more 'adventure' than anything, nothing thrill ride or about speed. Put it as this example - hypothetically, if they were building a launched coaster themed to cars, you wouldn't start your initial PR attached to a jeep, which is in essence an off-road car, you'd pick a sports car, or even a replica F1 racing car etc.

This could also just be that their budget for PR for the new ride is completely **** so they're having to make do by finding a cheap car :lol:

Also - has anybody actually seen proof of this jeep and signage? Fonts on signage can usually give a lot away about the theme for a ride?

Ben

CF Legend

The only people I know who like the Big One (myself included) like it in a it's so bad it's good way.

Ben

CF Legend

The only people I know who like the Big One (myself included) like it in a it's so bad it's good way.

But it's not going anywhere.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

It's crap Ben, I voiced my opinion last weekend fairly well after that abysmal ride.
Mack would be great obviously, blaits an aquatrax tho.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I mean the majority of the general public like it (they all think it's the world's tallest coaster anyway).

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Just a thought, with the Jeep, wouldn't a Juvelen style coaster from Intamin be cool?