What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Project 2017

spacebum said:
Has the park put out anything that states that it is a coaster by mack to 100% state fact.

Also you can still build in an Intamin launch type in the space. the biggerone bs is the past from eons ago. It still sounds like the old days. And I was hoping things moved on from the old days. well never mind I will just do my reserch and do my videos and not give a **** anymore. I was here to gather extra info but I will just drop out from this and do it with out useing the sites to gather intell.

No one has suggested that it will 100% be Mack. People are just speculating about potential and realistic options, bearing in mind that a new ride going there isn't a rumour anymore. Whilst the park haven't said anything about the manufacturer, they have said that there will be a new ride for 2017 (whether it will actually happen is a different thing altogether, but it will happen). The 'bigger one' stuff was a rumour with no backing, just like the many others there have been. This one is different.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

But the bigger one had an RCT3 model, it's totally legit! :lol: Ha in all seriousness though that was never going to happen, doubt we'll see anything approaching, let alone taller than the big one, and that's no bad thing. I am slightly bias as it's precisely what I would like to see built at the Pleasure Beach, but I think something from mack would be ideal, or an RMC (but I can't see that happening as much) . Any news of any planning permission going in? Would've thought that would be floating around by now.

Lofty

CF Legend

I didn't think that they could construct a coaster much higher than PMBO due to the height envelope given due to the locality of the airport? Hence why the star flyer was never constructed and they went for the Gerstlauetr Sky Fly instead?

Coaster

Mega Poster

Lofty said:
I didn't think that they could construct a coaster much higher than PMBO due to the height envelope given due to the locality of the airport? Hence why the star flyer was never constructed and they went for the Gerstlauetr Sky Fly instead?
I believe they can build anything up to 500ft (as they can't build anything taller than the tower). A Star Flyer wouldn't really work at BPB as it would probably be closed a lot of the time due to high winds.

Lofty

CF Legend

I'll have to try and find the information that I read ages ago, but it stated that due to them being in closer proximity towards the airport, the height envelope was dramatically decreased from the North end of the resort - I'll try and search for it anyway.

Either way, I'm hoping for a Polercoasteg :lol:

Smithy

Strata Poster

Swear the airport closed down last year? Or is it still operating for civilian flights?

Either way, if it is a Mack mega they wouldn't have to match PMBO for height to put in a quality ride tbh.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Yeah, it closed for commercial airlines, but it's currently in the process of starting to operate up again.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Smithy said:
Either way, if it is a Mack mega they wouldn't have to match PMBO for height to put in a quality ride tbh.

This, so very much. Height is a fine enough "gimmick" for PMBO, but in recent years so many new ways for a coaster to stand out and thrill the masses have been developed. Exciting inversions, raw speed (which thanks to launch technology no longer requires tall drops), airtime, or funky ways of riding (flyers, floorless, wing coasters, etc.). Looking back on the last 20 years of coaster development, it's clear that amazing things have happened. A "big ride" doesn't have to be that big any more, especially not in the vertical direction. If they build something akin to Helix or even Maverick, it'll draw the masses and please the connoisseurs even if it's not very tall.

Lofty

CF Legend

Whilst part of what you say is true, it's also a bit flawed. The vast majority of PBB's clientele are young, impressionable teenagers who need to know they're riding 'the biggest and the best' ride. The Big One is still incredibly popular to this date and the reason why it so ever popular is because of it's title as the UK's tallest coaster, nothing to do with the ride experience at all.

I agree that it doesn't need to be the biggest, fastest or hold some sort of a record, but when it comes to the chivvy scum that reside in Blackpool during the summer months, it does need to have some large, bold statement attached to it to draw crowds in.

I have a feeling it'll be a launch coaster of some sorts, mainly due to the fact that the only other 'launch' they have on site comes from Revolution, and whilst it is fab, it doesn't have a huge mass appeal. A launch coaster with a number of inversions would go down so so so well at the park, but again, if it doesn't have a huge 'gimmick' in terms of marketing, it won't work for the park. Just look at their last few additions, Nickelodeon Land had the Nickelodeon brand to entice families, Sky Force has the Red Arrows tie-in that enticed people to go to the park.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

If all else fails, they could use the G forces in the marketing. Just compare it to stuff like sitting in a race car, or acceleration "twice as fast as free fall" or something like that. Alton managed to sell a kiddie coaster as the most intense and scary experience ever, so I think it wouldn't be hard for BPB to market a decent-but-at-first-sight-not-impressive Mack Mega to its crowd. Heck, if they could achieve success with a second-hand SLC named "brewing tea", they could probably do it with anything.

Scott88

Hyper Poster

I don't know if it was mentioned, but Amanda Thompson twice posted on Twitter to say nothing is happening for 2017, however there has been comments about a new bridge which I believe is almost constructed now, I am hopeful someone from Club PBE will have a photo from today (it's BPB season pass registration day today!).

I have heard enough from people I know and trust at the Pleasure Beach to believe a new thrillseeker attraction is going to be constructed but in time for the 2018 season, not this year and not next year.

There's still plenty of BPB fans very expectant and away with the fairies in believing the best coaster ever is coming to BPB and going to open in 2017, but I really wouldn't count on that! I for one as a long time fan of the Pleasure Beach am very thankful that in the next two-three years we are actually going to see a NEW coaster if all goes to plan, it's about time really.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, she was talking about the new bridge the other day and dropped very, very subtle hints that it'll interact with it, but nothing you could say was evidence!

A couple of bits and rumors I've heard from round the place have still suggested a 2017 opening, but, it's literally all maybes and ifs and someone heard this.

Something needs to happen though, it'll give the whole UK industry the kick up its arse which is needed to get Merlin to build a new worthwhile coaster!

Martyn B

CF Legend

To be fair, she may be denying it all to stop putting off people from visiting THIS year.

Lofty

CF Legend

An insider of the park has informed me that, apparently, they've purchased a Mack launch coaster with two launches. Amanda was on Twitter in a small conversation with myself (nearly came) and stated that the new thrill ride "has to" when I asked her whether the new ride will interact with the architecture of the new bridge.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

!!

I don't think people realise how big of a deal Blackpool getting a new, good coaster is.

Like, have the stars aligned?

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

I know you shouldn't get your hopes up, but a Mack launcher would just be the best thing to happen to the UK theme park industry for ages.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Mack launcher seems very likely.

It's also extremely possible, given BPB's unique setting and set-up, that it could be a Helix style lay out.

Basically; yes please.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster

The MACK fanboy in me is screaming (all the way from the States)!!! I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Lofty

CF Legend

Joey said:
!!

I don't think people realise how big of a deal Blackpool getting a new, good coaster is.

Like, have the stars aligned?
Can't agree more. The park is in desperate need of a good, solid investment coaster. It's just perfect.

nadroJ

CF Legend

This would literally be the best thing ever! I think it'd be a bit of a shock to the system for other parks in the UK too for Blackpool to be the one to get a big cred when they've been investing in...other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk