What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Icon is definitely my number 2, and is the best coaster in the UK once it warms up. In the morning it was pretty meh, but after lunch it really started to fly! Definitely the best airtime on any coaster in the UK. However I have a few critiques:-
  • The rattle. The rattle is really noticeable, and can get quite annoying.
  • The queue line doesn't have any bins so it was filled with litter.
  • Some of the landscaping is unfinished, but I think it will be within the next few weeks.
But aside from that, there are a lot more pros, and just to name a few:-
  • The airtime is insane, and the inversions are fun.
  • It is a long ride.
  • It has some surprisingly intense moments.
  • The first launch is better than expected.
  • The landscaping and mist looks nice and adds to the ride.
But overall, I absolutely loved this thing. Also, operations were top notch, never had to wait more than 20mins for any of my 10 rides. I don't think I could disagree more with @nadroJ's review. I looks forward to returning to the park in a few days!

Matt N

CF Legend
Icon is definitely my number 2, and is the best coaster in the UK once it warms up. In the morning it was pretty meh, but after lunch it really started to fly! Definitely the best airtime on any coaster in the UK. However I have a few critiques:-
  • Some of the landscaping is unfinished, but I think it will be within the next few weeks.
  • It is a long ride.
But overall, I absolutely loved this thing. Also, operations were top notch, never had to wait more than 20mins for any of my 10 rides. I don't think I could disagree more with @nadroJ's review. I looks forward to returning to the park in a few days!
Great stuff! Thanks @ATI!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Looking forward to riding again next month so I can write a retraction haha!
Did you only ride it early on in the day? If so, I can understand your disappointment. But having seen reviews such as yours, I lowered my expectations so I wouldn't be disappointed, which helped me enjoy it more when it hauled later in the day.

Jared

Hyper Poster
^ You’ve also not got the same level of experience. You’ve got to remember, Jordan had been on a lot more rides and has more to stack it up against!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Can't wait to see Icon on one of the late night weekends. I reckon the low light and running all day will really enhance the experience.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Did you only ride it early on in the day? If so, I can understand your disappointment. But having seen reviews such as yours, I lowered my expectations so I wouldn't be disappointed, which helped me enjoy it more when it hauled later in the day.
I rode it once at around midday, then a couple more times around 1PM. We went to ride again later in the day but it'd already closed.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Going back a few pages, echoing what Lofty said in that Helix is a different beast come the end of the day when it's warmed up. It absolutely flies through those hills and the latter half of the ride.

Saw the CF POV's and honestly thought it looked a bit meh, slow and dull in the latter half but also a lot longer than I realised. Also saw Jordan pop up on the back row a few times over the past week on Sky News International covering Icon's opening (was the only English speaking channel I could get in the Bulgarian hotel room).

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Got to ride Icon Saturday. After seeing the testing footage and the POV, I wasn't expecting it to be anything really good, but I was wrong.
This is a fantastic roller coaster, with great airtime and some truly awesome moments. Front seat is a joy and backseat has a nice kick to it.
Having been to Thorpe, Alton and Blackpool last week, I think this might be my favorite coaster of the lot.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
  • It is a long ride.

Better than Stealth/Swarm at Thorpe and nemesis/ Wicker at Alton? High Praise indeed

10 rides with a rattle would do my head in but I am getting on a bit, how pronounced was it?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It's more noticeable on the back row of every car, but it's more like a strong vibration really and there isn't any jolts or pain. It's just slightly annoying really. I don't understand why Icon has said rattle, when other Mack coasters, such as Blue Fire, are perfectly smooth.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
It's more noticeable on the back row of every car, but it's more like a strong vibration really and there isn't any jolts or pain. It's just slightly annoying really. I don't understand why Icon has said rattle, when other Mack coasters, such as Blue Fire, are perfectly smooth.

There comes moment where we really have to stop complaining about this stuff. I noticed the rattle in the backseat, but it is MINOR and you know what? It's a roller coaster, it has forces and it will have vibrations here and there. I think we're way to nitpicky as enthusiasts about "roughness", Icon is about as smooth as they come.
Btw. if you think Icon has a rattle, Helix' is certainly "worse".

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
A more detailed review will have to wait until I'm a bit more awake and coherent, but suffice to say Icon is pretty damn awesome. First thing in the morning, it's good, solid Mack fun. By later in the day, it becomes a complete beast of a ride, particularly in certain seats. I don't think I've ever experienced ejector airtime coming out of an Immelman before. I've not quite figured out where it ranks yet. It's definitely top 20 for me, possibly even top 10.

The general public seem to love it, and the operations are great - the queue time was kept below 15 minutes pretty much all day.

Lofty

CF Legend
Also, Blue Fire definitely rattled in October, as does Helix... it's also not a 'rattle', it's literally a slight vibration through the train and really doesn't affect the ride whatsoever, albeit it is noticeable.

T0M

Hyper Poster
In my view it severely lacks imagination. There is too much emphasis on twisting and not much height changes once it is over the post-launch elements.

The second launch is very poor, you can barely feel it at all on some rides. I found no detectable change in speed during the day either.

It's a very welcome addition, and I hope it serves them well, but it was a massive disappointment to me.