What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Project 2017

Lofty said:
I HAVE THEM :lol: :roll:

You horrible, horrible man. Obviously you wouldn't post them on here but have you formed an opinion based on those plans? Feel free to PM me, sorry i'm not as subtle as Smithy!

Lofty just reeling me in...

vector-graphic-of-a-stick-person-character-reeling-in-a-fish-on-a-line-by-nl-shop-336.jpg

I didn't see owentaylors' original post before it was edited... What are you all talking about :lol:.

On a side note - why are parks often so secretive about their development plans? Is it to enhance the marketing? Entice more visitors? Hide plans from other competitors? Just wondering...

^In a nutshell, he overheard park employees saying the plans were leaked on an Employee database, it being a Mack coaster

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Well if that was a legit leak then at least it's not a negative one.

mouse said:
I didn't see owentaylors' original post before it was edited... What are you all talking about :lol:.

On a side note - why are parks often so secretive about their development plans? Is it to enhance the marketing? Entice more visitors? Hide plans from other competitors? Just wondering...
Presumably it's so people don't hold off visiting until the new attraction is added and hit this year's profits.

It's like now the Merlin Annual Pass sale has ended we'll finally get confirmation of the ride closures - they were happy to push Galactica and Ghost Train but now they've got the money all the renewed AP holders will find out what they're losing out on too.

It's not just parks who are secretive about their new products - t's the way the world works.

You don't see River Island saying "We're working on a new clothing range, it'll look like this and have x fabric", they just release the information as a campaign. This is really no different.

Lofty said:
It's not just parks who are secretive about their new products - t's the way the world works.

You don't see River Island saying "We're working on a new clothing range, it'll look like this and have x fabric", they just release the information as a campaign. This is really no different.

We'll at least until the day someone tries to fund a roller coaster on kickstarter :)

Lofty said:

That's true, although most River Island customers don't tend to see the company set aside space in the factory for the new range and start asking questions. When it's all out in public (like this is, or when Alton leave an old ride on their car park) maybe it's best to give out a little bit of info?

Once it's gone from 'development' to 'construction' may as well make a virtue of it - like Alton did with Nemesis back in the day.

roomraider said:
Lofty said:

We'll at least until the day someone tries to fund a roller coaster on kickstarter :)
Couldn't happen. Major coasters cost upwards of $10 million, even from smaller suppliers. Only 3 projects have made more than that: two smart watches and a "smart cooler" (WTF???). And most parks that don't receive enough revenue to buy a major coaster definitely don't have enough regular visitors who would want to contribute to a fund.

Shirofukurou said:
roomraider said:
Lofty said:

Couldn't happen. Major coasters cost upwards of $10 million, even from smaller suppliers. Only 3 projects have made more than that: two smart watches and a "smart cooler" (WTF???). And most parks that don't receive enough revenue to buy a major coaster definitely don't have enough regular visitors who would want to contribute to a fund.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised, haha. Even a few video games have raised enough to build a roller coaster on kickstarter pages these days!

nealbie said:
Shirofukurou said:

I certainly wouldn't be surprised, haha. Even a few video games have raised enough to build a roller coaster on kickstarter pages these days!
Well, video games can be developed for around half a million these days thanks to inexpensive or free engines like unity and unreal. Generally a *good* coaster starts at $10 million, and parks that want a major coaster but can't afford one the traditional way, don't get enough local visitors to crowdfund one, as opposed to video games which anyone with a console/computer could play at home.

Shirofukurou said:
nealbie said:
Shirofukurou said:

Well, video games can be developed for around half a million these days thanks to inexpensive or free engines like unity and unreal. Generally a *good* coaster starts at $10 million, and parks that want a major coaster but can't afford one the traditional way, don't get enough local visitors to crowdfund one, as opposed to video games which anyone with a console/computer could play at home.

I'm not saying it's going to happen with a coaster but read this and tell me that money couldn't be crowd funded for a video game. This one raised $40mil.

It won't happen for a coaster but what you're saying about the video game industry is, well, wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

Ben said:
Shirofukurou said:
nealbie said:

I'm not saying it's going to happen with a coaster but read this and tell me that money couldn't be crowd funded for a video game. This one raised $40mil.

It won't happen for a coaster but what you're saying about the video game industry is, well, wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

Yes, it is possible for a game to get lots of crowdfunded money, as Star Citizen and Prison Architect have proven. But those are the only games to make more than $10 mil from crowdfunding and are thus exceptions to the rule. The vast majority of crowdfunded games don't make more than $3 mil - only 10 games have done that ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects ).

Anyways, I realize I derailed the thread hugely, but I'm glad we would be willing to help crowdfund a coaster... If only more people were!

What do you consider a major coaster? Don't GCI make some coasters that cost less than $10million?

TommyAlex said:
What do you consider a major coaster? Don't GCI make some coasters that cost less than $10million?
Oh, I guess you're right about that, White Lightning cost $3.5 million. When I said major coasters I meant ones that are relatively large and made by a recognizable, reputable manufacturer.

I was under the impression that the only major coasters under $10 million were cheap-ass Gravity Group rides that fall apart after two years of operation lol.

I guess a crowdfunded GCI may be viable after all!

Not to mention the 10 strong "large" coaster park Star Citizen could build should they decide they don't want to build their $100 million video game. :p

May be completely missing something here but don't remember there being a Vampire attraction at PBB:

12744499_10153933685572365_3128083634848780619_n.jpg

from PBB's Facebook.

Could just be a rebrand of their Pasaje del Terror or Horror crypt attraction although they haven't updated the website about it yet...