What's new

Big One Re-Tracking @Pleasure Beach

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's possible that they could have temporarily removed that section of track on Nemesis for non destructive testing or preventative maintenance. I know Sea World Orlando was removing one section of track/support per night to perform NDT and perform any necessary welding as a means of extending the ride's service life. I'd imagine that Nemesis' entire section around the loop undergoes high stress, and also that it'd be much easier to check the part on the midway instead of in a pit.

cookie

Giga Poster
It's possible that they could have temporarily removed that section of track on Nemesis for non destructive testing or preventative maintenance. I know Sea World Orlando was removing one section of track/support per night to perform NDT and perform any necessary welding as a means of extending the ride's service life.
Huh, didn't think it could be done so swiftly given modern steel coasters are built to millimeter precision. TIL

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I thought a section of nemmies loop was replaced too, thought it had been posted on AT’s official social media a year or 2 ago with pics, but can’t find it now.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
Yeah I remember a piece being replaced, I thought I'd read it was at risk of fracturing so they replaced it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Those valleys do get most of the hammering which I guess is why these are retracked first. You can see from old and newer POVs that drops 2 and 4 (near Infusion) have all had parts of track replaced and now this 3rd part. They were also busy with the drop near the Big Blue before opening last winter. I do wonder if this latest replacement is also to do with the opening of the BLVD hotel and its entrance nearby as obviously this newer track will just look much better. Or perhaps it's just pure coincidence this needed doing.

Hope the turn around track gets replaced over the next few winters as I find it is the roughest part.

Weather looks like it might be windy next week into the weekend (if you can believe early predictions). Hope they get it up and running for opening weekend though.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Just about all of the track has been replaced over the years.
First drop and turnaround were done first.
It all gets x rayed over the closed season, the worst bits done each winter.
Dont think it is anything to do with the new hotel though!

T0M

Hyper Poster
It's easy to mistake removal for inspection, repairs, grit blasting and repainting as new pieces of track. If what is being installed is precisely the same dimensionally, I'd suggest that new pieces are fabricated far less than what is assumed.

Wardley was quoted in the last decade as saying all of Nemesis' track is original - and we'd had pieces taken out and replaced as sparkling new prior to that. It doesn't matter too much of course!

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
It's easy to mistake removal for inspection, repairs, grit blasting and repainting as new pieces of track. If what is being installed is precisely the same dimensionally, I'd suggest that new pieces are fabricated far less than what is assumed.

Wardley was quoted in the last decade as saying all of Nemesis' track is original - and we'd had pieces taken out and replaced as sparkling new prior to that. It doesn't matter too much of course!
Agreed, I believe first time any of the big one has been retracked

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Agreed, I believe first time any of the big one has been retracked
Nope, this isn't the case. In 1997, the entire first drop was re-tracked and re-profiled, and so was the main turnaround a few years later. I know small sections of rail have been replaced (they wouldn't be selling bits of them in the Flying Machines shop otherwise) and I know some small bits have been repainted. I believe this is the first time in many years that a significant section of the ride has had track replacement, replacing original 1994 track which still exists for about 80% of the ride.

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Virtually every winter parts of the track are replaced.
Been tipped off by one of the structures managers when it was happening, for years.
Seen it with my own eyes repeatedly.
Good excuse for a trip to the coast in the winter.
Bottom of the valleys in the main, especially the bottom of the first drop.
Northern seaside.
Right on the coast.
Lots of salt.
And rain.
Edit...
Old track used on Valhalla frontage and Spin Doctor signage.