What's new

Best Theme Park in Germany

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's not my fault Taron's layout is about as exciting as the topmost section of the M5 ;)

...and this is a whole different debate, but I DO like parks to be one or the other; I'm always conscious at Drayton, Mingo etc. that it can't be great for animals having noisy rides (sometimes even firework displays) as their next-door neighbours.
I 'enjoy' zoos, and I am aware that a lot of them do a lot of conservation work... But they always make me feel uneasy, after all, SeaWorld did a lot of conservation work too, how much of this conservation work is purely to 'buy favour?'

Also, why do we have to keep the animals in cages / enclosures? Why can't conservation be carried out purely by protecting them in their natural habitat, like the areas used for this very thing in Africa?

Like I said, I enjoy zoos, but the whole thing makes me uneasy. I guess ultimately I just can't see the difference between whales and lions...

As for Taron... I'm not biting, not whilst you still have vampire in your top 5... And helix the ride (no, not the one in Sweden) in your top 10... ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m probably missing something obvious here, but; out of interest @Nicky Borrill, which ride in Will’s list is “helix the ride”?

Contributing to the topic of the thread, however; I’ve visited neither, but I’m remedying that in April with my first trip to Europa Park, which I’m super excited for! In terms of Phantasialand; it does look like a logical next step after Europa as far as European parks go, as the theming looks spectacular, and some of the rides look really appealing as well!

I’ll admit this thread is starting to make me wonder if I picked to visit the wrong German park given how most people seem to vastly prefer Phantasialand, but I am extremely excited for Europa, as the coaster selection looks great, with the big 3 in particular looking like they could really tick my boxes, the dark rides sound great (although I’ve purposely avoided looking too in depth at them so as not to ruin the element of surprise), the theming looks gorgeous, the hotels look gorgeous, I like the sound of the overall park concept (it’s basically Epcot’s World Showcase with a stronger ride selection; given I loved Epcot, what’s not to love?), and its reputation must surely count for something… gosh, I’m excited!

Hopefully within the next few years I’ll be able to answer this thread… I’m going to Europa in April, and Phantasialand definitely sits high on my to-do list of European parks!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m probably missing something obvious here, but; out of interest @Nicky Borrill, which ride in Will’s list is “helix the ride”?

Contributing to the topic of the thread, however; I’ve visited neither, but I’m remedying that in April with my first trip to Europa Park, which I’m super excited for! In terms of Phantasialand; it does look like a logical next step after Europa as far as European parks go, as the theming looks spectacular, and some of the rides look really appealing as well!

I’ll admit this thread is starting to make me wonder if I picked to visit the wrong German park given how most people seem to vastly prefer Phantasialand, but I am extremely excited for Europa, as the coaster selection looks great, with the big 3 in particular looking like they could really tick my boxes, the dark rides sound great (although I’ve purposely avoided looking too in depth at them so as not to ruin the element of surprise), the theming looks gorgeous, the hotels look gorgeous, I like the sound of the overall park concept (it’s basically Epcot’s World Showcase with a stronger ride selection; given I loved Epcot, what’s not to love?), and its reputation must surely count for something… gosh, I’m excited!

Hopefully within the next few years I’ll be able to answer this thread… I’m going to Europa in April, and Phantasialand definitely sits high on my to-do list of European parks!
Doesn't matter Matt, Will knows, just a little joke I had with him... But I'm referring to Mamba, though somewhat in jest, as I love the ride :)

As for your trip, you've picked the perfect park for you... Your favourite ride types for one thing, but also, it probably makes the better 'family holiday' destination, which if I'm not mistaken, is what your trip is?

Matt N

CF Legend
Doesn't matter Matt, Will knows, just a little joke I had with him... But I'm referring to Mamba, though somewhat in jest, as I love the ride :)

As for your trip, you've picked the perfect park for you... Your favourite ride types for one thing, but also, it probably makes the better 'family holiday' destination, which if I'm not mistaken, is what your trip is?
Black Mamba is a coaster that’s always intrigued me; I always thought it looked quite similar to Nemesis, in many ways! Do they ride similarly?

I am going to Europa with my mum and dad, yes. And I do think/hope it’ll be both a nice introduction to European parks for the 3 of us, and a park I’ll hopefully really enjoy; I know that my parents don’t usually tend to enjoy concrete coaster parks as much as more holistic, well-themed parks (for instance, I know they’re not the keenest on Thorpe, and they didn’t especially like BGT as it was “American Thorpe” in their eyes), so as much as places like Energylandia and Walibi Holland were commonly suggested to me as my first European park, I thought a more well-rounded, more themed park might suit us better as our first European park, and from my perspective; even before we booked it, Europa was probably the European park I was keenest to visit alongside Phantasialand and PortAventura!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Don't get involved...

Unless you're after the best man job?

Defo! I'm sure I have a suit somewhere. 👍

In terms of Phantasialand; it does look like a logical next step after Europa

Nope, Port Aventura is next. Proper resort, 2 parks, hotels, waterpark, Mediterranean weather and helloooo... a beach nearby? Plus Barcelona for some culch'. Perfect family holiday material.
Save Phantasialand for when you're confident enough to do a multi-park road/rail trip, and have it as the finalé to a nice little Dutch or Belgian run.
Walibi Holland - Efteling - Toverland - Phantasialand is my personal favourite. Perfect long weekend for a beginner.

I’ll admit this thread is starting to make me wonder if I picked to visit the wrong German park given how most people seem to vastly prefer Phantasialand,

Again, nope. See my above comment. And besides 'most people seem to vastly prefer Phantasialand' is a slight exaggeration, is it not? It's 14 votes to 12 dude. Hardly a whitewash.
Trust us, you're going to exactly the right park for your first Euro trip.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Easily Europa Park. Phantasialand is horrendously overrated for me - don't get me wrong, Taron and all of Klugheim looks amazing. But it's literally Taron. Most other things in the park were meh. Sure, it's pretty (and I haven't been since F.L.Y) but there's an awful lot of dead space as well as areas that look a bit meh - it's a good park but I honestly wouldn't rush to go back there.

Europa on the other hand I would happily spend several days at despite having done everything there.

Will

Strata Poster
PortAventura!
Now that, in my opinion IS a Spanish Thorpe ;)

TBH I'd still like to take my parents to EP or PL, just to see if I could get them to understand :p
Their foreign park experience is Liseberg, Linnamaki and Canada's Wonderland, so at least they now appreciate they're not all the same!!

I guess ultimately I just can't see the difference between whales and lions...
Lions are big furry kitties, whales live in the water :)

James F

Hyper Poster
Out of the 4 that I have been to Europa Park is the clear winner for me. It just does everything right from the rides, theming, atmosphere, food options etc even the toilets are of the best quality at Europa!

Phantasialand is extemely impressive in it's own right and is definitely a top tier park, but while I will always say quality over quantity, Europa Park hits both marks and sadly Phantasialand just can't match up to the sheer scale and awe of "Germany's Biggest Theme Park"

Also, I know this isn't a big deal for most people, but the merchandise at Phantasialand leaves a lot to be desired, while you can find some nerdy Mack Rides swag at Europa if you look in the right places.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
Phantasialand and Europa are so close to each other on my list that deciding where to go often just comes down to how many days I'm there. 1-2 days and I'm off to phanny, 3+ and I'll go to EP.

Phantasialand's closeness to cologne is a plus, along with regular, cheap trains to and from the city for a little dose of #culture. On the other hand, if you've got a car EP has the black forest, alpine coasters, and gorgeous walks within easy reach.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Phantasialand and Europa are so close to each other on my list that deciding where to go often just comes down to how many days I'm there. 1-2 days and I'm off to phanny, 3+ and I'll go to EP.

Phantasialand's closeness to cologne is a plus, along with regular, cheap trains to and from the city for a little dose of #culture. On the other hand, if you've got a car EP has the black 🧐forest, alpine coasters, and gorgeous walks within easy reach.
So for you it’s just a quick stop for phanny?

🧐 Maybe a different nickname is in order.

Sandman

Giga Poster

Say what now?

The poll has EP in the lead, so I'm not sure how Phantasialand is vastly preferred ;)

Even if everyone here preferred Phantasialand (or EP for that matter), we're comparing 2 of the best theme parks in the world. You literally can't pick a wrong park!

Matt N

CF Legend
Say what now?

The poll has EP in the lead, so I'm not sure how Phantasialand is vastly preferred ;)

Even if everyone here preferred Phantasialand (or EP for that matter), we're comparing 2 of the best theme parks in the world. You literally can't pick a wrong park!
Ah, that’s changed since yesterday then… when I posted yesterday, PL was in the lead, and it seemed like most posts were preferring PL!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just proves how highly regarded both parks are, both have so much to offer, it makes it such a close call and it comes down to what you as an individual look for in a park.
I actually think Dar's point above is spot on in this regard.
It's almost a case of "what type of trip are you doing". Another thing about Phantasialand is that it's got a few more other 'leading' European parks with an hour or twos drive, so can make sense to loop a few in together. Europa, not so much. The local parks are bonuses, not true destinations in their own right.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I actually think Dar's point above is spot on in this regard.

It's almost a case of "what type of trip are you doing". Another thing about Phantasialand is that it's got a few more other 'leading' European parks with an hour or twos drive, so can make sense to loop a few in together. Europa, not so much. The local parks are bonuses, not true destinations in their own right.
Agree completely… And Will’s original point too…

In the summer, think I’d rather visit EP… Not because I prefer it overall, but purely because my visits to PL in the summer have been horrendously busy, and not a patch on my Wintertraum visits. EP is geared up to handle insane crowds much better.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm going to give my vote to Phantasialand, as I absolutely love the park experience. It's pretty marginal though, and very situational.

See, if I'm looking for a day out at a really great park, and want to spend the time riding, then Phantasialand ticks all of the right boxes for me. So far, no other park has managed to capture the sense of place, or adventure that I got from Phantasialand, and with an great line-up of both top tier and supporting rides, I struggle to think of another park where I want to re-ride so many things when I visit.

Europa is different. Europa is all about the park as a whole, the experience, and the people you choose to go with. Europa is not somewhere I'd choose to visit on my own, it's not home to a particular stand-out ride that make it a destination park for me, nor is it a park where I'd want to power through all of the coasters in short order. It's a park to take at a laid back pace, finding and riding all sorts of interesting and unexpected things, and sharing the experience with a bunch of like minded people along the way. It's a park that I reckon has to be approached with a certain mentality to get the best out of it, but if you go in with the right people and the right mindset, you can easily spend several days there, and it'll be amazing.

Last edited:

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Choosing between Europa and Phantasia for me is like picking a favourite Child..... they are equal for different reasons but I have to always go with Europa because of it's scope beyond rides and the emotional heart I get from the place!

The theming of Phantasialand is second only to Tokyo Disneysea in my opinion, but theres something slightly 'cold' about the place, the staff are slightly icier, the place is a bit crammed and rammy.

Whereas Europa I look forward to lunches there.... I want to sit in and enjoy the ambiance, and the above average quality food..... I want to just get a croissant in the France area and sit in the plaza for 30 mins watching the fountains..... I want to mooch round their Historama exhibition looking at old concept models, I want to take the park train round or the safari skyway style monorail. I just like being there, and I get that feeling that they care I'm there.... Its hard to put a finger on exactly what that 'extra' touch is!

Last edited: