What's new

Best coasters you don't want to ride that much? (not ridden yet)

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
It's kind of a bizarro bucket list: what are the coasters that you presume are (very) good, but you don't feel the personal desire to urgently go and ride it?

In other words, those coasters must be great, but somehow aren't priority for you. Personally:

Shambhala - Supposedly the best B&M Hyper, if not the best B&M period. The reported poor park operations of Port Aventura and its business model relying of selling many fastpasses and then purposely slowing down dispatches gets me cold feet. I would like to visit eventually, but stuff like the European RMCs and the Intamin Blitz I haven't done yet (iSpeed and Taiga... even Red Fire a little further in Turkey) get me more excited for some reason. Being an Intamin fanboy really shows here.

Katun
- Also considered among B&M best creations, but I start to realize I'm not such a big fan of classic B&M Inverts (shame on me!). Nemesis is a massive exception thanks to its creative layout and amazing downwards helix, however after re-riding Monster at Walygator and Batman clones I feel the focus on mostly positive Gs isn't my favourite thing. Still am curious about this big Italian Invert, but newer and occasionally more graceful or diverse coasters get more of my attention.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Shambhala - Supposedly the best B&M Hyper, if not the best B&M period.

This used to be the case when I rode it in 2014, but I've heard it's been pretty mediocre lately and probably not the best Hyper. So you're good on not wanting to ride it.

All of mine I obviously wish I could ride, but I feel no rush to get them.
New Texas Giant - eh.
Blue Fire - another eh.
iSpeed - third eh.
Ravine Flyer II - ouch.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
As far as coasters go I cant really say there are any I *wouldn't* ride if I was in the area or whatever.... one-off kiddie coasters aside. Maybe I'm to credit-focused. There are for sure rides I don't care about.. but I still see myself going on them if I had the chance. Yet if I never rode another Volare or ZacSpin again, I think I'd be just fine.

But I guess there are a handful of parks I could have gone to but didn't visit and don't really regret not going to? Skyline Park Germany, Dream World Thailand, BonBon-Land Denmark.(although given the chance to visit them now, I would)

Kalistos

Mega Poster
Among the top 20 of Captain Coaster, I'd say that I am not in such a hurry to ride two of them.
First one is Hyperion which ... I don't know, doesn't look that exciting to me. Maybe it is because the rest of the park looks so crappy. Although the only intamin hyper I did was awesome, I just don't like much the aesthetics of the new track compared to the oldschool one. EGF looks way more appealing.

The second one is weird, it's Steel Vengeance. I think I got bored of RMC i-box tracks (how is that even possible ?). I find them all excellent but i'm having somewhat of a hard time to differenciate them. Maybe it's the hipster ( :emoji_wink:) part of me that tells me this coaster is now too mainstream ! Maybe we talked too much about it ! ( then maybe I won't be interested n F.L.Y. for the same reason !) I don't know, unlike LR, I am in no rush to try it.

Snoo

The Legend
The second one is weird, it's Steel Vengeance. I think I got bored of RMC i-box tracks (how is that even possible ?). I find them all excellent but i'm having somewhat of a hard time to differenciate them. Maybe it's the hipster ( :emoji_wink:) part of me that tells me this coaster is now too mainstream ! Maybe we talked too much about it ! ( then maybe I won't be interested n F.L.Y. for the same reason !) I don't know, unlike LR, I am in no rush to try it.

That's an interesting reason to possibly not like something. RMC fatigue is a real thing however I will say the ride is a good RIDE, not just a good RMC. I didn't look at it as an RMC tbh when I got on. I just analyzed it for what I love in a ride and it had them all.

As far as rides.. Rita - Queen of Speed. First coaster that came to mind. If it had lapbars, different story. Alas, it does not.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
^ on a similar note

Maverick - I have little interest in riding anything with Intamin OTSR's. Where's the fun in airtime when your shoulders are restricted?

I will of course give it a go, and many people say you dont notice the restraints, but I'm still skeptical. Even Stealth is an endurance test for me.

Snoo

The Legend
^ on a similar note

Maverick - I have little interest in riding anything with Intamin OTSR's. Where's the fun in airtime when your shoulders are restricted?

I will of course give it a go, and many people say you dont notice the restraints, but I'm still skeptical. Even Stealth is an endurance test for me.

How tall are you? I'm 6ft and the vests never bother me. I feel it more in my legs then shoulders.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
How tall are you? I'm 6ft and the vests never bother me. I feel it more in my legs then shoulders.
6ft1 so similar to yourself. In fairness I have heard they're slightly more forgiving than the usual Intamin retraints so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Reridability is an important factor I consider in ranking the "best" roller coaster. I do generally prefer a roller coaster that can be ridden over and over again vs. a large, INTENSE experience.

Skyrush immediately jumps to mind in this regard. It would have been a #1 contender... if not for the SAW movie-grade torture of lapbar stapling that takes place.

TTD is another roller coaster I don't look to ride as much, if only because the Wow factor has diminishing returns with each reride. I usually only ever ride it 2-3 times per year to keep the experience fresh.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I swear you guys from Ohio are overly sensitive
Haha, sometimes I think I am.

But the coaster I don't really want to ride that much, but is considered great by many, would probably be anything in Europe. I don't really want to go to Phantasialand for example and come home knowing that I might not get to experience those rides, parks, or even theming, ever again.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

But the coaster I don't really want to ride that much, but is considered great by many, would probably be anything in Europe. I don't really want to go to Phantasialand for example and come home knowing that I might not get to experience those rides, parks, or even theming, ever again.
Don't look at it like that. I've made quite a few trips over to the states in the past 5 years, twice for CP(edit - and twice for Skyrush). I know for sure that I'll be back there again, once you have had a taste of excellence you cannot go back to mediocrity.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Actually very much understand that after several trips to the US. Going to Cedar Point, and several Six Flags parks made me realize for real how Europe doesn't have anything like that in terms of scale and density. 5 or 6 200ft+ tall coasters, big RMCs along with cool B&Ms in the same park, extreme intensity/airtime à la Skyrush or I305, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Europe has many amazing rides. Helix, Taron, Wildfire, Expedition GeForce and my pet favourite Lech Coaster among others. But you rarely have the quantity of large scale, top class coasters at a same park.

Not that I got a fair taste of American parks, I'm hooked and already wanna go back!

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Millennium Force:looks a bit forceless because of lacking of airtimes.
Valkyria: My home park already has giant dive coaster(Griffon clone) and this looks like not as much floater feeling on the drop.
Looks overrated.