What's new

Best and worst names

Stormrunner is a good name, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. All the rides at Dollywood have good names, especially Thunderhead.
Wildcat + Cyclone are everywhere, those get old.

I personally think the Hershey rides have badass names- Stormrunner, Fahrenheit, Great Bear, Skyrush. Up north a little bit more you have Talon, which I think is fab too. Add in El Toro, Sheikra, Nitro, Tatsu, and Kawasemi.

For worst... not including "Roller Coaster", probably Rebel Yell. Why would you ever name a roller coaster after a Billy Idol song?

One of the worst I've heard is Sooperdooperlooper. It just sounds too juvenile. I also hate Galaxi. Seems like a wimpy name.

One of my personal favorites is Top Thrill Dragster. I'm a fan of drag racing, and the ride combines two things I like.

Best:
Nemesis
Oblivion
Sheikra
Tatsu
Shambhala
Kingda Ka

Worst:
Generic coaster names like Corkscrew etc.
Great Bear
Dog Fart Coaster :wink:

Worst names for me are the really long ones:

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - the words don't even make any sense together; the coaster isn't in Hollywood, and they should have spelled rocket correctly, rather than tried to be 'clever'. Such a stupid name.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - doesn't roll of the tongue, makes the coaster sound like a boring monorail type ride.

Best names are the more original-sounding ones, and one's that don't instantly give away what type of coaster it is:
El Toro, Diamondback, Iron Rattler, Mystery Mine - these leave much more to the imagination than anything with 'looper', 'speed' or 'timbur coaster' :roll: in the name.

I think Magnum XL-200 just sounds awesome. I also like Leviathan, Expedition GeForce, Oblivion, Verbolten, Alpengeist, Beast, and BOSS

I don't really like the name Air, it's just too boring IMO. I'm also not a big fan of overused names (I'm looking at you Six Flags)

I love El Toro, Magnum, Millennium Force, BOSS, Tatsu, X2, X-Flight, Kingda Ka, Mind Bender, De Ja Vu, Kumba, Montu, SheiKra, Alpengeist, Verbolten, Hydra the Revenge, Thunderhawk, Diamondback, Vortex, Firehawk, Beast, Skyrush, Voyage, Leviathan, Behemoth, Shambhala, Nemesis, Dragon Khan, Thunderbolt, GateKeeper, Wicked, Afterburn, and Boulder Dash

Worst: Silver Bullet, SuperDooperLooper, Great Bear, Wild Thing, Goliath, Schussboomer, Wild Mouse, Boomerang, Son of Beast, Ride of Steel, and Bob.

Worst: Hurler and Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket.
Hurler makes me think I may end up wearing someone's half digested lunch. The name does not fit a coaster.
HRRR, come on, dumb name and too long. The title should go with the fact they play music while you ride.

Best: The Beast
2. Montu
3. Superman (I know it's overused but I like superheros and it fits well)

Many great names to mention.
Screechin Eagle. (I like Eagles and I rode this once classic)
Iron Rattler
Kingda Ka
Steel Dragon 2000
Sheikra
Voyage (one of my nicknames)
Nemesis
X-Scream
Manta
Magnum XL 200
Ghost Rider
El Toro
Ninja
Batman (Love superheroes)
The Incredible Hulk (but the coaster is too small to have that name in my opinion)
Renegade
Desperado
Raven
Loch Ness Monster
Steel Eel
X2
Top Thrill Dragster
Space Mountain
Expedition Everest
Shivering Timbers
Volcano (name fits the ride perfect)

Worst names? Look up "Cedar Fair"

Possessed.
Flight Deck... You do realize that a flight deck is literally just a runway on a boat? Right CF?
Drop Tower. Drop Zone was renamed to simply this
Time Warp
Surf Dog.
Backlot Stunt Coaster
Mantis... So you name a massive stand-up coaster after a bug? I just don't see the connection.

Also...
Time Machine
Round About
Fahrenheit. I don't understand this ride name. If someone named a ride Pounds, Gallon The Ride, Kilogram Coaster, or even Celsius, people would be so confused. But for some reason we accept Fahrenheit. I don't get it.

jolash said:
Fahrenheit. I don't understand this ride name. If someone named a ride Pounds, Gallon The Ride, Kilogram Coaster, or even Celsius, people would be so confused. But for some reason we accept Fahrenheit. I don't get it.

Because its drop is 97 degrees. Just like the temperature at Hershey (in Fahrenheit) in the summer. I don't get it, they just like the tagline "97 degrees and falling fast."

That park in general is just wonderful at naming things. (Great Bear, Sooper Dooper Looper)

Or just uses overused names (Comet, Wildcat, Wild Mouse)

Or just does the same name written differently (Storm Runner, Lighting Racer)

Come to think of it Skyrush may be the best named ride at the park.

Mumbo Jumbo. Roller Coaster. Hate it when people call roller coasters roller coaster. and goliath is a fine name when its for like 1 maybe 2 coasters but 7 is just wayyyyy too much...