What's new

Bad weather ruining a park trip

david morton said:
too soon?

We got horrible weather yesterday, nice weather today (went on a Kamikaze for the first time) and horrible weather expected tomorrow.

Anyway, how do they know there is bad weather on Monday?

The only one I can think of off-hand is Parque de Atracciones, Madrid.

I'd done Parque Warner during the day, leaving mid-afternoon since PDA was open until quite late (Halloween or something if I remember correctly). It started raining about half an hour before I left Warner, but they were still running everything. The rain had STOPPED by the time I got to PDA, but the coasters stayed closed for the rest of the day. I got to ride none of them. Bastards.

It wasn't a ruined trip by any stretch since I enjoyed Warner and a great few days in Madrid. It's just annoying to have that bunch of coasters sitting there that I never mananged to get.

The only trip that was almost ruined by weather was when I went to Warner Bros in Australia. When I arrived, it was raining but still warm and the coaster I was looking forward to riding, Superman Escape was closed as it doesn't run in the rain. Thankfully it cleared up later in the day and I was able to ride it several times and it is still one of my most favourite rollercoasters.

For the first time this season I was at Valleyfair during sever weather. It was hot and humid temperatures were in 80's heat index was 97 dew points were in the 70's was that kind of day. There was a slight risk for sever weather for the afternoon and evening hours between 5pm and 10pm. They did issue a sever thunder storm watch from 4pm till 10pm for the twin cities area. We weren't expecting storms till after 8pm. I got into the Renegade station just got into the que line and the ride operator said that Renegade will be down due to intense lightning for safety reasons and it was down for a half hour. The lightning and storms developed so fast with intense lightning over Power Tower and Wild Thing moved onto the east really quick. They did re open Renegade after 8:30pm I was the only one in the station front seat they had two trains running. Everyone left for weather I had the whole train to my self lol. Storms don't ruin my days because when it does storm everyone tends to leave the park and they don't come back for the rest of the evening and that is the best time to ride no wait times either.

I usually find that bad weather can cause people not to go to parks therefore making the parks a lot quieter and a lot more enjoyable. For example, last week I was at GYPB and expected it to be packed due to visiting on August bank holiday but due to the rain, the park was dead and everything was walk on. I was even the only one on the rides a lot of the time!

I have always been quite lucky with the weather, it has so far not cost me any +1's, although it has come close, we had a lightning delay of over 2 hours at SFNE that nearly cost me Goliath.
Then we had a tornado in Sandusky whilst at Cedar Point, which obviously shut the park down, I had never heard a tornado warning alarm before and although quite unnerving it was at the same time quite exhilarating in a "I feel alive" kind of way. Although it never cost me any coasters as it was on day 2 of our trip and we had already rode everything, even so, the weather cleared up, the sun came out and we rode Dragster? Just a vary surreal experience.
I brought the local paper next day and have kept it, it done some minor damage but nobody was hurt I don't think.

Like Ben said, bad weather is part of the hobby and it is something that can hamper your trip whenever it chooses, I always make sure I have 2 days at larger parks to ensure I can get everything done should weather play a part.
However having said that, we will playing with fire next month, I have 1 day at Carowinds, BGW, Kings Dominion, SFA and 2 at Dollywood, so 300ft+ rides in late October could be asking for trouble, we will see?

I was at Cedar Point on a nasty day. There were enough breaks that I got on rides, though. I went back to my hotel room three times, thinking that I'd call it a day. I ended up going back and getting on GateKeeper in the back far left, only to hear them announce, "The ride is now closed," as my train left the station. I had ridden it a couple of times, but it was kind of cool to be on the for last ride of the day.

Drove all the way to lake compounce to find they hadn't opened due to rain and extreme cold temperatures. That was a fun 4 hours in the car, but avoidable had I bothered to check before leaving.

If its going to be a rainy day when I visit a Theme Park I'll just take my full wet gear & enjoy no Q times & have loads of re-rides. Bad weather does not stop me riding coasters.

Today at Alton Towers the only ride which has a Q time is Mr Bloom's Allotment, everywhere else has 0 mins. Shame I could not of taken time off work.

Its ironic actually, I've never had a bad day at a park in the rain. There are 3 distinct days I can remember.

GADv ~4yrs ago: Pouring rain, we spent most of the day on Dark Knight and Skull Mountain, but our patience paid off, the rain started to clear and we had some incredibly memorable rides in the rain.

SFNE ~3yrs ago: This was with the CF crew, and the weather was iffy all day, rain even closed Bizzaro at one point. But the rain passed, and eventually came back just in time for a front row ride on Bizzaro, so much fun and again an incredibly memorable part of the trip,

BGE Sunday: Hurricane Joaquin kept this trip up in the air, When we got there the park was mostly empty it was misting and windy, Mach Tower, Tempesto, and Griffon were closed due to high wind speeds. As the day went on though they all began to open, except Mach Tower (but no skin off my nose, I hate drop towers). Once again we ended up having an amazing day out getting multiple rides on everything.

I do gardening as a large part of my work...
if it rains, I go coastering at Blackpool on my season ticket.
Most of my park trips are in the rain,
faster coasters,
shorter queues.
Skin is waterproof.