What's new

Aussie World 12/04/15

Gazza

Giga Poster
The weekend before last I was heading up to Noosa for a day, and stopped in for a couple of hours at Aussie World, which is an hour and a bit north of Brisbane.

It's a small family oriented park, with immaculate grounds and a growing collection of rides. Most enthusiasts would make the trip to get the wooden Wild Mouse cred that is there (When Mike was in Australia we attempted to go up for a day so he could pick it up, but the mouse was closed).

Anyway, since my last visit about 4 years ago they have added a flume , a couple more flats, a really impressive new walkthrough...And a 2nd coaster, Bug Run a wacky worm which repeatedly missed its opening date (Was supposed to open last year) due to problems with its lift hill.

I forgot to spin the camera around the other way (Behind me theres a tilt a whirl, and a couple of other flats) but heres an overview of the place. It's basically on a narrow strip of land, with theB Bruce Highway (Main North south coastal route from Brisbane to Cairns) and a hillside. Would love it if in future years they build rides utilising the hill.
EQVd5Uj.jpg

The rides at this end have all pretty much gone in over the past 3 years.
dBpW2qA.jpg

So naturally I picked up the coaster...Bug Run....There's still currently one I'm missing in Australia, the Abyss Eurofighter at Adventure World, but that's a 3 hour flight away, which is a big ask for what is essentially a coaster with the same layout as Saw, but bended outwards)
W7Gap9E.jpg

Anyway, some nice theming such as this Grasshopper.
t28PaQw.jpg

And these Ants
nrdoa01.jpg

The blades of grass made a sort of tunnel around the track which was nice.
ocKGIel.jpg

The last time I was here the Giant Redback was brand new (I'd never been on a Disko at that point so actually made a specific visit to try that type of ride :goon2: :goon:
zpsdRxB.jpg

Gutted this was closed. Basically a himalaya type ride, but indoors with music and lights and so forth.
8TdexqK.jpg

The other thing which had just opened was Professor Bogglesworths Illusionarium. Its a bit of a cliche to use well known optical illusions on the exterior on these type of attractions, but inside it's so much more.
ExedOxQ.jpg

They spent close to a million on it, and it was brilliant. Basically you wear those clear 3D glasses (Like on Hocus Pocus Hall at CWoA or Nights in White Satin at HRP) so it had a few of those scenes that jump out at you, but on top of that were some really elaborate scenes, including.
-A spinning tunnel.
-A forced perspective hallway with a hidden exit (Like in that episode of the Simpsons where the community rebuilt Ned Flanders house but got it wrong)
-Mirror maze
-A walkway through a skyscraper canyon, with lasers and a "bottomless pit"
-A Room you got shut into, which rotates, then opened up into another room.
-A room where they built half of it into a mirror.
-This really trippy one with floor pads filled with some sort of gel/oil that would move around from the pressure of your feet.
c5SB5JI.jpg

Unfortunatley no cameras allowed inside, but this is the general standard of the theming:
ElOGDWr.jpg

Matchstick fence.....PS the attraction had horrendous capacity...About 5 people every 3 mins.
VCL4i7I.jpg

Nicking photos from the local rag, but this is how it was inside (No, they aren't actually photoshopped....WYSIWYG)
9-2741204-scn310315aussieworld01_t460.jpg

11149275_1094654433893740_5417515914985614565_n.jpg

A bit of video showing it:
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/ne ... n/2594191/

I went on the Wild Mouse again...Still pretty fun, and surprisingly the shortest wait.
0vPU6jC.jpg

Just like the one at BPB its held on the track by an oiled peg that runs in a slot down the middle of the track. The car only had road wheels, so on the turns it leans out onto two wheels.
56aE6YE.jpg

The layout is a bit more conventional than the one at BPB though.
vk0LnlX.jpg

All of the wooden mouses in Australia previously operated at the Royal Shows in each capital city...This one was in Perth.
hoJMqJZ.jpg

The giant slide basically dwarfs anything else in the park:
Ehrov6g.jpg

Needs more water
mxwi66K.jpg

I think the only reason I took this pic was because I thought the landscaping looked nice. The place is in really good nick.
CgjWJLd.jpg

Leak'n Logs is just a water play area with a few fountains that kids can run around in on hot days.
CDk8OF7.jpg

The wave Wave swinger (Ballroom Blitz) is a recent add too.
rztb0iR.jpg

In full swing
KNEeflL.jpg

Stockshed speedway is the bumper cars.
diaTa3D.jpg

Ferris wheel,
EFRhAzx.jpg

"The Plunge" was another new thing to me.
Im0rV9w.jpg

Despite the fact most of the rides are ex travelling models, they've really made an effort to build stuff in properly so it actually looks permanent (Yet the Luna Parks in Sydney and Melbourne don't seem to be arsed to do the same)...Aussie World does tend to punch above its weight.
1EqcivX.jpg

Who makes this...Reverchon?
Ueowr7w.jpg

You didn't get too wet on it.
S0R4EIj.jpg

After a couple of hours spent I pressed on to Noosa.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That actually looks like a much better park than I expected it to be.

I have a bad habit of falling into the trap of assuming that parks as a whole can't be up to much if they don't have a decent coaster collection, when there are actually a fair few of them that have proved me wrong before.

Mike

Giga Poster
No need for the spite reminder! :p

I'd love to get back to Australia one day, just for a holiday rather than study, and with actually a way of getting around (i.e. go with someone who can drive) to do all the things I missed!