What's new

Are you a film buff?

Are you a film buff? How many of the top 250 have you seen?

• Godlike 100% (250)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely a buff 80%+ (200)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I'm pretty buff 60%+ (150)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • In the buff 40%+ (100)

• I like Buffy the vampire slayer 20%+ (50)

• Bum fluff -20% (0-50)

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Will

Strata Poster
...I just tidied my DVD rack (yes, I still have one) and decided to 'reboot' this topic...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The question is though: should we still be using a 12 year old list, it the latest from IMDb? That may throw things out a bit.

I'll have to update this list, then do a new one... Only I don't think I trust IMDb anymore.

Will

Strata Poster
Ah, should have clarified - that's 138 of the current list. I didn't actually look what the original post said :D

Will

Strata Poster
Haha, excellent, that will clearly have to go on the list of 'things that I argue with furie about' :p
And to be fair, I think there's only two Nolan films on there that weren't there in 2010 - I was actually quite pleased to see that most people seem to be as lukewarm towards Tenet as I was. I doubt I'd have watched Dunkirk if it hadn't had his name on it though - war is not my favourite genre.

I'm intending to go and watch Dune this afternoon, as my annoying mind will currently only allow me to concentrate on a film if I'm in a cinema so there's no distractions. Otherwise I end up doing pointless things on my phone or watching the fish tank.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Thought I was doing quite well with 205 of the old list until I read through the thread and caught @ECG'S count!

My total would be a lot higher if I didn't have an aversion to Kurosawa, Tarantino, Fellini, Bergman and anime.

And I've never seen The Lion King.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Still impressive :)

Can't help agreeing on Fellini - I watched 8 1/2 a long time ago and thought it was complete drivvel and whilst I don't remember a lot about the Bergman films I've watched, my ratings tell me I wasn't a big fan.

James F

Hyper Poster
I got 203, I guess film school actually payed off for once.

1-10: 10
1-20: 20
1-25: 25
1-50: 48 (Not seen Leon or Sunset Boulevard)
1-100: 86 (Looks like I have catching up to do on pre 50s cinema)
1-200: 169 ( Still not seen Donnie Darko, Million Dollar Baby and Strangers on a Train)
1-250: 203 (I have been meaning to watch The African Queen and Network)

I guess I have sat through quite a bit over the years, but this list made me realise how many international films I have missed as well as many classic 30s and 40s films I have yet to see.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Also impressive - plus Leon, Donnie Darko, Million Dollar Baby and Network - all pretty good films so will be easy to tick off.

davidm

Strata Poster
Current list ; 147 - mostly the foreign or really old ones missing I think.

Also tosh like Rocky, never seen that, never want to. ;)

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Current list ; 147 - mostly the foreign or really old ones missing I think.

Also tosh like Rocky, never seen that, never want to. ;)
Mate! Rocky is the bestest. As I alluded to in another thread, the first in the series is ultimately the ‘best’ but it really works as a series of films as you warm to the whole set of characters. It goes from ‘good film’ to ‘80s cheese-fest’ and back - all watchable and likeable in their own ways.

Probably one of the best soundtracks a series has ever had too. It’s almost impossible to not hit a PB squat when you put “Going the Distance” on in the gym. That’s ‘finishing-a-marathon-with-an-injury” music, that is! 😩😖🥺

Everybody loves an underdog.

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
^ just no. ;)
Why would you hold in such low regard a film you’ve never seen? 😩

Just whizzing through the top 250, I’ve come out with 120, although I’ve excluded ~20 I’ve seen but I can’t really remember (it would feel like cheating adding those).

Howie

Donkey in a hat
According to the poll options, I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which is totally true, actually. Best tv show ever).
Of furie's original top 250, posted in 2010, I've seen 85. However of the current top 250, I've seen 92, so I'm getting better at least.
Can't believe The bloody Shawshank Redemption is STILL number 1! I mean, yeah it's alright, but Jesus, best film ever for over a decade? Nah man, not a chance.

James F

Hyper Poster
According to the poll options, I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which is totally true, actually. Best tv show ever).
Of furie's original top 250, posted in 2010, I've seen 85. However of the current top 250, I've seen 92, so I'm getting better at least.
Can't believe The bloody Shawshank Redemption is STILL number 1! I mean, yeah it's alright, but Jesus, best film ever for over a decade? Nah man, not a chance.
It's a great film, but I never understood how it has topped so many lists.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
Why would you hold in such low regard a film you’ve never seen? 😩

Well I really despise boxing. Like, a lot. So a film that is built about it? Not going to happen.

I have seen Raging Bull, but that's Scorsese, so it gets a pass.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Well I really despise boxing. Like, a lot. So a film that is built about it? Not going to happen.

I have seen Raging Bull, but that's Scorsese, so it gets a pass.

I can't argue with that! Fair enough, although for what it's worth I would say Rocky (the first film) is principally about people more than it is about boxing - you could swap out the boxing with anything really. It's a bit like how 'The Wrestler' (with Mickey Rourke) is only sort-of-about wrestling, but in truth it's another 'people-film'.

It did win Best Picture at the Oscars, for what it's worth (beating 'Taxi Driver' - I guess excruciatingly awkward dates was a theme that year 😅).

A four sentence plot summary of Rocky with 'whopper spoilers' for those that wouldn't otherwise watch it:

Dead-end, socially-awkward but big-hearted man has no luck and nobody in his life. Spends his spare time feeding his turtles and trying to charm an equally socially awkward woman. Gets a freak opportunity to box the world champion (as a publicity stunt) and gives it his best. He does better than anyone could expect but inevitably loses.... it doesn't matter though, because all he ever wanted to do was prove himself, for himself.

Last edited:

Edward M

Strata Poster
Currently at 153. Albeit not the best (some of y'all on here are putting me to shame!), but I'll cut myself some slack since, well, I am only 22 after all! I also think a lot of the films I've been watching and enjoying lately are not gonna end up on the imdb top 250. By now, most people can admit that imdb's list is probably not the pinnacle of movie lists. I think the fact that Green Book is in the top 150 films ever made says basically everything one needs to know about their list.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Currently at 153. Albeit not the best (some of y'all on here are putting me to shame!), but I'll cut myself some slack since, well, I am only 22 after all! I also think a lot of the films I've been watching and enjoying lately are not gonna end up on the imdb top 250. By now, most people can admit that imdb's list is probably not the pinnacle of movie lists. I think the fact that Green Book is in the top 150 films ever made says basically everything one needs to know about their list.
The most questionable thing about the existing list for me is just how high Parasite is. I enjoyed it, but if this was done as a ‘vs.’ type list it would surely rank far lower - it seems totally absurd that it’s ranked higher than some others.

Other questionably placed films: Dune, Django Unchained, two Avengers films, Wall-E, a Harry Potter film, Coco and Logan.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It always amazed me, when I first did this, just how many "old" films I'd seen in my teens. Especially considering I only really consumed trashy horror films in that time. I must have watched a lot by accident.

The most questionable thing about the existing list for me is just how high Parasite is. I enjoyed it, but if this was done as a ‘vs.’ type list it would surely rank far lower - it seems totally absurd that it’s ranked higher than some others.

Other questionably placed films: Dune, Django Unchained, two Avengers films, Wall-E, a Harry Potter film, Coco and Logan.
It is questionable, but Wall-E I do love. Harry Potter films though? Yeah, no.

I'll do a new list soon, but on my original 2010 list, I'm on.

50/50 Top 50. 88/100, 155/200 and 185 total. I need to get back on this game :)