What's new

Another Crappy Publicity Stunt From Thorpe

I just wonder if the retards in the red tops actually know it's a stunt, I suspect they don't.

Most people that have mentioned it to me believe it is real and look slightly confused when I say it's fake.

Surely a large spike in searchs for 'Swarm Thorpe Park' that lasts for several days after the release of the story shows it worked?

I've seen loads of evidence provided that support that it worked, none to suggest it hasn't. Can argue that it might have had the same result were it a positive bit of marketing, but that's not the case here. Then there's the whole ethical argument you can drag back up which also doesn't hold strong.

Disclaimer: Not aimed directly and solely at Ben so don't throw a fit over it, more a general post which applies to the views of several people in here who've simply been unable to defend their opinions

Just because more people searched for THE SWARM doesn't mean it worked. If people hear and believe that the ride is potentially dangerous, they are less likely to ride, and the park are likely to lose a handful of customers from this so-called 'publicity stunt'. Is this not common sense?

The increase in searches is from people hearing about it and wanting to see for themselves.

The whole "it's worked/hasn't worked" is just fundamentally missing the point. It's just drumming up interest in a ride that, previously, barely anyone had heard anything about.

In a world where the news is dominated by shocking or serious issues, how do you make people give a **** about a new roller coaster?

Like this.

The people who are "less likely to ride" weren't the target audience anyway, because they weren't likely to ride in the first place.

TP Rich said:
Why are my questions never answered? :'(

:lol:

You are joking right?

Smithy said:
TP Rich said:
I didn't claim anything about 'nuclear devestation' or whatever it is you're saying. I just listed things that had happened as a result of the strike and you seem to be launching into a slagging match. Can we not hold a sensible conversation here?

I'm repeating myself, but whatever.

Kindly show me where ANY public sector worker was smashing shop windows.

I created this topic and said what was happening.

No, you said what you thought was happening, yet you don't actually know if it was or not and when challenged have been unable to support your claims.

I'm not going to get into any arguments.

Then don't bother telling us your opinion if you're unwilling (or more likely, unable) to defend it.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32941&start=14

Just one example of several I can go back and find of where you've made a somewhat silly/questionable point, been challenged on it, and then not bothered to try and defend it. Well, maybe I can throw in one more.

From this very topic.

That I answered and recieved no reply to.

TP Rich said:
Yes, it is common sense. If I knew nothing about publicity stunts and read this in The Sun, one of Britain's most major newpapers, I'd think twice about riding THE SWARM.

Hiding behing 'common sense' doesn't help your argument. First problem is actually believing people are going to read this in The Sun and believe it. Second problem is then thinking that people are specifically not going to go to the park as a result of the story. You're vastly underestimating the intelligence of the general public, even if they do believe the stories, I highly doubt it'll affect them in the slightest, if anything it's going to increase the likelihood of them talking about Thorpe Park/The Swarm, thus spreading the word, thus the marketing has done it's job.

So feel free to go back and answer that before whinging about people ignorin what you come out with. To humour you, I'll go for it though.

TP Rich said:
Just because more people searched for THE SWARM doesn't mean it worked. If people hear and believe that the ride is potentially dangerous, they are less likely to ride, and the park are likely to lose a handful of customers from this so-called 'publicity stunt'. Is this not common sense?

Does it not? With your interpretation of what the marketing was intended to achieve, possibly. But that's assuming this cheap, quick bit of 'filler' marketing is going to be relied upon to boost visitor numbers; it's quite clearly not, it's about generating hype, getting people talking, and essentially is just one tiny cog in the greater marketing mechanism.

The rest of your 'THIS IS COMMON SENSE GUIZE' points I had already addressed, so feel free to go back, have a read, and come back to me with a response.

Notice how you've gone through all that and still not answered my question. Read my post again, if you must. Perhaps your points would be stronger if you weren't trying to slag me off mid-post? :wink:

You obviously care about this a lot more than I do, so I'll leave you to it. Please don't use the old "why are u saying that if you cant defend ur opinans?!?!?" thing on me - because what's the point in me 'defending my opinion' if it's going to have no effect on your opinion?

TP Rich said:
You obviously care about this a lot more than I do, so I'll leave you to it. Please don't use the old "why are u saying that if you cant defend ur opinans?!?!?" thing on me - because what's the point in me 'defending my opinion' if it's going to have no effect on your opinion?
Well, it's obviously not a convincing enough argument if it doesn't sway someone else... And that works both ways. Granted arguing with UC is tedious, but you can just walk away if you don't wanna continue with the discussion.

So can we leave sob story "you're not listening to me!" style comments out of this topic, please. If UC is causing you woe, just walk away. :)

Rofl.

He/I/We ''obviously care about it more than you''.

Don't recall myself nor UC in here whinging that our questions and points went unanswered or unaddressed.

Nor do I recall us running away with our tail between our legs when they're challenged.

:roll:

That is one poor stunt (the 'Spooky' article). The dummies with limbs torn off is another rubbish one from Thorpe Park! They have also released a teaser called 'THE SWARM'S first customer...'. Lol, it is obviously a joke! :D

TP Rich said:

I've already answered this previously in the topic, but I'll answer here and succinctly.

Yes, you're right. A handful of customers are likely to read this/hear about this and refuse to ride. They may even avoid the park. Some people are pretty thick and either don't read the entire article and understand that the article states the ride is safe, or don't understand enough about the world to realise that an amusement park doesn't put its guests in danger of death of deformity.

Common sense states that we must always assume that there are a few stupid people who will misunderstand.

Common sense also states that for a ride like The Swarm to be built, newspapers to be printed and the internet to be available to discuss it, that the majority of people aren't thick as pig ****.

For every z person who won't ride it, there'll be another x amount who now see it as an extra level of thrill to ride on a "previously dangerous coaster" and another Y amount of people who will now have heard of the ride who hadn't before. At a cost of maybe half a day's work and a couple of mannequins from round the back of Saw's station, it's a very cost effective publicity stunt. Both x and y will always outnumber the z's so it's a nett gain for Thorpe, even if we're only talking a few people.

Sorry Ben, but the stunt will have had some success. We can't quantify it, but to say it didn't have any kind of impact does fly in the face of logic. It's still wrong in my opinion, but it will have had some degree of success and will help to generate some discussion somewhere at a very low cost.

Personally, I think that the next time Thorpe call the press, they should be sent straight through to the advertising section and charged ;)

I just assumed it was cos of the whole 'Thorpe setting it up to test people's reactions' thing. See that she's got a sensor connected to her hand